Warm Worlds and Otherwise by James Tiptree…

Warm Worlds and Otherwise (edition 1979)

by James Tiptree Jr., Robert Silverberg (Introduction), Michael Herring (Illustrator)

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:Warm Worlds and Otherwise
Authors:James Tiptree Jr.
Other authors:Robert Silverberg (Introduction), Michael Herring (Illustrator)
Info:Ballantine Books (1979), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:science fiction, short stories

Warm Worlds & Otherwise by James Tiptree Jr.

Recently added byprivate library, SirDi, MartinWisse, nickholdstock, mathilde, bkhl, genrebending, conradoplg

English (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (5)
An interesting, early (her 2nd published book) collection of stories from Tiptree (pseudonym of Alice Sheldon).

At the time of publication, Tiptree's real identity was unknown. There must have been some speculation that Tiptree might be female. In his introduction, Robert Silverberg opines that Tiptree's stories must have been written by a male. (In his view, Austen's novels could only have been written by a female, and Hemingway's work could only have been written by a male; in the same way, Tiptree must be a male.)

After reading these, I had the opposite opinion of Silverberg; to me, they were obviously written by a woman. Of course, I knew going in that Tiptree was female, so I'm unsure how much that shaped my opinion.

I don't know if Tiptree was considered to be a member of the New Wave of SF, but these stories all had a very New Wave feel to me. While the quality varies, I would say these are all at least good, and some excellent. None felt dated to me. (I only make this point because I read this right after finishing a collection from Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore; that collection had a few stories that felt dated, and the quality was very uneven.)

I'm sure I probably read something from Tiptree when I was younger, but I have no memory of it. I think this is a great starting point and it makes me want to read more of her work. ( )
  wjohnston | Apr 10, 2013 |
A notable collection of stories from Tiptree, including 'The women men don't see'. But this book is mainly notable for the introduction by Robert Silverberg, where he categorically and definitively states that the reclusive James Tiptree Jnr. is, despite rumours to the contrary, a man. "...(T)here is, for me, something ineluctably masculine about Tiptree's writing" he says. Within a few weeks, Tiptree was identified as a pen-name of Alice Raccoona Sheldon. Though to be fair, the second printing (which I possess) does include a postscript from Silverberg to say "Well, how wrong can you be? And doesn't it just go to show?" ( )
  RobertDay | Aug 31, 2011 |
A decent collection at 3.38, but far from her best.

Warm Worlds and Otherwise : All the Kinds of Yes - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : The Milk of Paradise - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : And I Have Come Upon This Place by Lost Ways - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : The Last Flight of Dr. Ain - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : Amberjack - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : Through a Lass Darkly - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : The Girl Who Was Plugged In - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : The Night-blooming Saurian - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : The Women Men Don't See - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : Fault - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : Love Is the Plan the Plan Is Death - James Tiptree Jr.
Warm Worlds and Otherwise : On the Last Afternoon - James Tiptree Jr.

RT outta here.

Big grotty Crotties.

3 out of 5

Mountaineering misuse of resources.

System under strain.

Rue it.

2.5 out of 5

Tempsync lingo.

Remote media darling.

3.5 out of 5

Getting a politlcal trophy.

Crash alien intro.

Friction removal behind.

I'm for dinner, mum.

Not ripe human herd.

3.5 out of 5

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2010/03/warm-worlds-and-otherwise-james-tiptree.ht... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Mar 6, 2010 |
I haven't finished this collection and no longer own it but it includes the stories listed below. I have included comments for those stories I have read.

All the Kinds of Yes
Amberjack (So full of flowery metaphors it's unintelligable.)
And I Have Come Upon This Place by Lost Ways
Fault
On the Last Afternoon
The Girl Who Was Plugged In (Hugo Award 1974)
The Milk of Paradise (Nebula 1973 - Strange. Bad beginning but then it got a little more understandable. Cool some strange insect-like alien where mother eats father after the father helps mother grow. Original.)
The Night-blooming Saurian
The Women Men Don't See
Through A Lass Darkly
Love is the Plan the Plan is Death
The Last Flight of Doctor Ain (Not sure I get it. He's flying around to spread the virus that will kill all humans to save Mother Earth? Much of it is incomprehensible.)
  ragwaine | Nov 25, 2006 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible