Warm Worlds and Otherwise by James Tiptree…

Warm Worlds and Otherwise (edition 1979)

by James Tiptree Jr., Michael Herring (Illustrator), Robert Silverberg (Introduction)

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:Warm Worlds and Otherwise
Authors:James Tiptree Jr.
Other authors:Michael Herring (Illustrator), Robert Silverberg (Introduction)
Info:Ballantine Books (1979), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:science fiction, short stories

Warm Worlds and Otherwise by James Tiptree Jr.

English (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (5)
I never read Tiptree much back in the day (these were published 1968-1974), and was somewhat disappointed at how much the then-acclaimed stories have aged; however, what is ground-breaking in one era is common-place in another. They still exhibit a great deal of imagination, and of course social satire, but follow the times by including mildly salacious material that make some of them unsuitable for younger teens.
I favored "The Girl Who was Plugged In" and "The Women Men Don't See" which are both nascent feminist approaches. Tiptree uses in two stories the "drinking raconteur" device that also shows up in a cartoon of the Sixties "The World of Commander McBragg" but is much older than that, being a staple framing device of 19th-century imaginative and horror fiction.

Robert Silverberg's introduction reveals that no one in the sf world at that time (1975) knew Tiptree was a pseudonymous woman.
Wikipedia: Alice Bradley Sheldon (August 24, 1915 – May 19, 1987) was an American science fiction author better known as James Tiptree, Jr., a pen name she used from 1967 to her death. She was most notable for breaking down the barriers between writing perceived as inherently "male" or "female"—it was not publicly known until 1977 that James Tiptree, Jr. was a woman. From 1974 to 1977 she also used the pen name Raccoona Sheldon. .. After the death of Mary Hastings Bradley (her mother) in 1976, "Tiptree" mentioned in a letter that "his" mother, also a writer, had died in Chicago—details that led inquiring fans to find the obituary, with its reference to Alice Sheldon; soon all was revealed. Several prominent science fiction writers suffered some embarrassment. Robert Silverberg had written an introduction to Warm Worlds and Otherwise arguing, from the evidence of stories in that collection, that Tiptree could not possibly be a woman. Harlan Ellison had introduced Tiptree's story in the anthology Again, Dangerous Visions with the opinion that "[Kate] Wilhelm is the woman to beat this year, but Tiptree is the man." Silverberg's article in particular, by taking one side, makes it clear that the sex of Tiptree was a topic of some debate. ( )
  librisissimo | Apr 25, 2016 |
An interesting, early (her 2nd published book) collection of stories from Tiptree (pseudonym of Alice Sheldon).

At the time of publication, Tiptree's real identity was unknown. There must have been some speculation that Tiptree might be female. In his introduction, Robert Silverberg opines that Tiptree's stories must have been written by a male. (In his view, Austen's novels could only have been written by a female, and Hemingway's work could only have been written by a male; in the same way, Tiptree must be a male.)

After reading these, I had the opposite opinion of Silverberg; to me, they were obviously written by a woman. Of course, I knew going in that Tiptree was female, so I'm unsure how much that shaped my opinion.

I don't know if Tiptree was considered to be a member of the New Wave of SF, but these stories all had a very New Wave feel to me. While the quality varies, I would say these are all at least good, and some excellent. None felt dated to me. (I only make this point because I read this right after finishing a collection from Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore; that collection had a few stories that felt dated, and the quality was very uneven.)

I'm sure I probably read something from Tiptree when I was younger, but I have no memory of it. I think this is a great starting point and it makes me want to read more of her work. ( )
  wjohnston | Apr 10, 2013 |
A notable collection of stories from Tiptree, including 'The women men don't see'. But this book is mainly notable for the introduction by Robert Silverberg, where he categorically and definitively states that the reclusive James Tiptree Jnr. is, despite rumours to the contrary, a man. "...(T)here is, for me, something ineluctably masculine about Tiptree's writing" he says. Within a few weeks, Tiptree was identified as a pen-name of Alice Raccoona Sheldon. Though to be fair, the second printing (which I possess) does include a postscript from Silverberg to say "Well, how wrong can you be? And doesn't it just go to show?" ( )
  RobertDay | Aug 31, 2011 |
I haven't finished this collection and no longer own it but it includes the stories listed below. I have included comments for those stories I have read.

All the Kinds of Yes
Amberjack (So full of flowery metaphors it's unintelligable.)
And I Have Come Upon This Place by Lost Ways
Fault
On the Last Afternoon
The Girl Who Was Plugged In (Hugo Award 1974)
The Milk of Paradise (Nebula 1973 - Strange. Bad beginning but then it got a little more understandable. Cool some strange insect-like alien where mother eats father after the father helps mother grow. Original.)
The Night-blooming Saurian
The Women Men Don't See
Through A Lass Darkly
Love is the Plan the Plan is Death
The Last Flight of Doctor Ain (Not sure I get it. He's flying around to spread the virus that will kill all humans to save Mother Earth? Much of it is incomprehensible.)
  ragwaine | Nov 25, 2006 |

James Tiptree Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mahlow, RenéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,850,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible