If You Leave by Courtney Cole
7512237,574 (4)None

Want to know if the whole series is worth reading? Read my overall review of the whole series at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

I loved this story for so many different reasons!

I thought the relationship and characters were extremely realistic, even if things between them happened fast or some of the events were more dramatic than necessary.

I felt so many emotions when reading this book--from joy to sadness to anger to frightfulness--you name an emotion and this book probably has it.

It was just plain addicting to read and I easily became absorbed in the story.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p3txrs-6w
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First of all I should mention that I never read book one in this series because I didn't realize this was book two when I requested it. With that in mind, I wouldn't read book one. I really want to love the new adult genre, but I don't feel like it represents me as a new adult myself. (Or whatever term you want to use for the 18-29 crowd.)

Books in this genre all start the same. A damaged or misfit girl meets the hot guy with a mysterious past and they circle each other until they have lots of sex. Something happens and their relationship is tested. They overcome it. The end. Yawn.

I guess I am just looking for something that isn't so formulated or characters with more depth. I think new adults are really trying to find their voice in publishing, but stories where the shy girl changes the asshole guy into not such an asshole is unrealistic and frankly kind of boring.
  rosylibrarian | Nov 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was beautifully wriiten. The characters had a lot of depth and had real-life situational problems. Both characters seemed very real in their in their actions and reactions to the people and places around them. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  carrielynn819 | Aug 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion

IF YOU LEAVE tells the story of Gabriel, an ex Army Ranger and Madison. Madison appears in IF YOU STAY, seeing as she is Mila's sister. Gabriel pulls out of the army because of something that happened while being away and it is something that keeps tormenting him still. He tries to live a normal life but he has night terrors—terrors that are so vivid that can take a toll on him while he sleeps and affects others around him and even led to almost killing Madison.

Madison is a sweet and funny woman. Madison is the owner of her parent's restaurant. She has an employee, Jacey, who takes Madison to a club to meet her brother but Jacey disappears with her boyfriend and Madison is left alone until she meets Gabriel. Madison catches a small glimpse of how terrified Gabriel is, how messed up he got from the Army. At the time, she didn't know why he was acting like that until he almost killed her.

Madison and Gabriel's story is sweet yet intense—not only in the sex tense but also in general. It was a great story to read. I ended up crying a little a few times because it was heart wrenching the experience Gabriel had to go through. I really fell in love with him because of who he is: a guy that really cares about everyone, even if he doesn't fully know them.
The characters are funny and quirky. The story is beautiful. It gives just a small insight on how terrifying experiences in the Army can be and what can cause in your life. ( )
  GenGenBookBlog | Aug 14, 2014 |
Gabriel Vincent is an ex-Army Ranger and hero. He has returned home from Afghanistan to and is visiting with his sister, Jacey. Jacey would love to fix him up with her best friend and boss, Madison, but Madison really isn't all to keen on the idea. However, Madison agrees to meet Jacey at one od their favorite hangouts knowing that Jacey's brother is expected to drop by. That night Madison arrives and can't find Jacey. She hangs around for a while and then decides to go outside and get some fresh air and then try again to find Jacey. Madison walks around the building and toward the alley where she spots a great looking "hunk". Madison feels attracted to him and he is definitely attracted to her, but it just doesn't work out and the two separate. She thinks that she'll probably never see that hunk again.
The next night at her restaurant Jacey is again expecting her brother. Madison is working and looks up at the entrance and who should enter but the great looking guy from last night. Madison realizes that he is looking at Jacey who is on the move toward him. It her brother. Gabriel is a man of mystery and a man who definitely has issues. He is suffering from PTSD. He is trying to battle it by himself and it makes for very interesting interaction with Maddy, his sister, and his friends.
The book is well written, with strong characters and a great story line. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
**GoodReads win ( )
  bettysunflower | Jul 19, 2014 |

"Ex-Army Ranger Gabriel Vincent is a hero. Or he used to be. Home from Afghanistan, Gabe can't stop thinking about that one horrible night on the battlefield, a night that changed his life forever. He know's he's messed up, but with the help of a little beer and a lot more women, he's keeping it together. Until he meets Madison Hill. Madison is happily single--or so she thinks. After the tragic death of her parents, she took on the responsibility of running the family restaurant, and that's just about all she has time to worry about. Until she meets Gabriel Vincent"--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Courtney Cole's book If You Leave was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,849,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible