The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One…

The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition (original 1954; edition 2005)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Member:jlhilljr
Title:The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2005), Hardcover, 1216 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

Recently added byprivate library, Mediana, Whisper1, BiblioSarah, TeresaWesterman, Rossi21, ms529212, Maniscalco
Legacy LibrariesW. H. Auden
    The Fionavar Tapestry 1. The Summer Tree 2. The Wandering Fire 3. The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay (geophile)
    The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J. R. R. Tolkien (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Hobbit (Unabridged) (part 1 of 2) by J. R. R. Tolkien (readysetgo)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LKAYC)
    The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Tolkien himself gave Eddison high praise, saying he was "The greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented worlds' that I have read". Of Eddison's best known works, 'The Worm Ouroboros' is the place to start. If you like it you may want to try his Zimiamvia trilogy too.… (more)
    Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Guy forges a ring of power. Everyone who refused to give up the ring has it taken away from them and they die, sooner or later. Except for Wotan, the only person to give it up voluntarily.
    The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    The Well of the Unicorn by Fletcher Pratt (LamontCranston)
    Heaven's War by Micah Harris (jpers36)
    The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens (Anonymous user)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (utterlycharming)
    Elfhunter by C. S. Marks (anyanwubutler)
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki (ecureuil)
    The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)

English (278)  Dutch (17)  Italian (8)  German (7)  Spanish (7)  Finnish (5)  French (4)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (336)
I have to say that though I read this trilogy in the late 70s when I was a teenager its characters have stayed with me and probably to some extent have shaped the way I perceive certain personality types. Gandalf the wizard is still my all time favourite male. The plot is gripping and holds you to the very last page and leaves you thirsty for more, and dispointed there isn't. Looking at it now it is plain to see Tolkein's desperately unhappy social commentary woven throughout the story from the dire black factory chimneys transformed into Mordor to the slightly mystical elven folk in the western lands - where the indigenous peoples of Britain had long since fled and preserve our ancient knowledge to this day in Ireland and Wales.
Probably one of the most important books written in the 20th century. ( )
  StephBradley | Dec 11, 2014 |
Not a Tolkein fan. Take my rating with a grain of salt. While, yes, LOTR is epic and wonderfully detailed, it's one of those "read it or die" trilogies. By the time I was finished, I was nearly tempted to pick the second option. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 10, 2014 |
Took me AGES to get through this time, though I'm going to blame OU, travelling to Manchester, my birthday and other things for keeping me from finishing sooner.

Found four interesting blogs which reviewed it chapter by chapter, two of which were reading it fir the first time, which gave me an interesting perspective on it.

Don't think I enjoyed it any less for taking longer to get through it, definitely appreciate the appendices more now I've seen then used in The Hobbit. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 8, 2014 |
I read it once every couple years. Need I say more? No, I really don't think so. No really it's that good. Enough said. But seriously it's awesome. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Classic in a way. Fantasy at it's best... Raymond Feist is the closest author to come close as far as fantasy goes. Need I say more? nah. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Tolkien's complete work; please do not combine it with any constituent part(s), each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

Also, do not combine with the BBC Radio dramatization (while straight audiobooks are generally considered the same work as the original - dramatizations are often regarded as abridgements that should be kept separate.).

Thank you.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power -- the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
Halfling bears the Ring
from Bag End womb to Mount Doom,
hence Return of King.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618640150, Paperback)

A Christian can almost be forgiven for not reading the Bible, but there's no salvation for a fantasy fan who hasn't read the gospel of the genre, J.R.R. Tolkien's definitive three-book epic, the Lord of the Rings (encompassing The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King), and its charming precursor, The Hobbit. That many (if not most) fantasy works are in some way derivative of Tolkien is understood, but the influence of the Lord of the Rings is so universal that everybody from George Lucas to Led Zeppelin has appropriated it for one purpose or another.

Not just revolutionary because it was groundbreaking, the Lord of the Rings is timeless because it's the product of a truly top-shelf mind. Tolkien was a distinguished linguist and Oxford scholar of dead languages, with strong ideas about the importance of myth and story and a deep appreciation of nature. His epic, 10 years in the making, recounts the Great War of the Ring and the closing of Middle-Earth's Third Age, a time when magic begins to fade from the world and men rise to dominance. Tolkien carefully details this transition with tremendous skill and love, creating in the Lord of the Rings a universal and all-embracing tale, a justly celebrated classic. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:54 -0400)

Presents the epic depicting the Great War of the Ring, a struggle between good and evil in Middle-earth, following the odyssey of Frodo the hobbit and his companions on a quest to destroy the Ring of Power.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible