The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One…

The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition (original 1954; edition 2005)

by J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Omnibus 1-3)

43,51842123 (4.52)1 / 1311
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, The Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, it remained lost to him. After many ages, it fell by chance into the hands of the hobbit Bilbo Baggins. From his fastness in the Dark Tower of Mordor, Sauron's power spread far and wide. He gathered all the Great Rings to him, but always he searched for the One Ring that would complete his dominion. On Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday, he disapeared, bequeathing to his young cousin, Frodo, the Ruling Ring and a perilous quest: to journey across Middle-earth, deep into the shadow of the Dark Lord, and destroy the Ring by casting it into the Cracks of Doom. THE LORD OF THE RINGS tells of the great quest undertaken by Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring: Gandalf the Wizard; the hobbits Merry, Pippin and Sam; Gimli the Dwarf; Legolas the Elf; Boromir of Gondor; and a tall, mysterious stranger called Strider.… (more)
Member:silkwall
Title:The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2005), Edition: 50th Anniversary ed., 1178 pages

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (1954)

The Fionavar Tapestry 1. The Summer Tree 2. The Wandering Fire 3. The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay (geophile)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Hobbit (Part 1 of 2) by J.R.R. トールキン (readysetgo)
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J. R. R. Tolkien (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LKAYC)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (idalmir_itaqua)
    The Ring of the Nibelung [libretto] by Richard Wagner (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Guy forges a ring of power. Everyone who refused to give up the ring has it taken away from them and they die, sooner or later. Except for Wotan, the only person to give it up voluntarily.
    The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Tolkien himself gave Eddison high praise, saying he was "The greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented worlds' that I have read". Of Eddison's best known works, 'The Worm Ouroboros' is the place to start. If you like it you may want to try his Zimiamvia trilogy too.… (more)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki (ecureuil)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (RickyHaas)
    The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens (Anonymous user)
    Heaven's War by Micah Harris (jpers36)
    Elfhunter by C. S. Marks (anyanwubutler)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (utterlycharming)

Read (5)
1950s (183)

English (355)  Dutch (16)  Italian (10)  German (10)  Spanish (9)  Finnish (5)  French (5)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (420)
I spent so long feeling bad that I'd never read this as a kid. And then I read it, and I know that as a kid I would in no way have enjoyed and appreciated it as much as I did reading it as an adult. Having had it hyped so much as a part of 'nerd' culture I was wary of bringing a bunch of preconceived notions of 'goodness' into it and tried to just enjoy it as a book - and as a book it's thoroughly lovely and magical and just what I hoped it would be. ( )
  ashelocke | Feb 17, 2021 |
I never read this (or The Hobbit) as a kid, but when all the movies started coming out a few years ago, I read in preparation for them. I've since read The Lord of the Rings at least twice more, aloud to my family. So this was probably my third time through the books. I really enjoyed it this time through. There's a lot of lyricism in the book, and I especially enjoyed finding sort of hidden rhythms or other poetry even in the prose. I also liked the songs and poems that followed sort of the old Anglo Saxon poetic mode (alliterative verse with caesuras). The variety of landscape words and descriptions can seem tedious but also makes the books pretty richly described. There's heroism here, and courtliness, and admiration of beauty (Gimli's description of the caverns in Rohan is dazzling, for example). It's long, and at times a little slow, and Frodo is a pill, but this to me really is a delight to revisit. I started rereading The Hobbit right afterward, and the quality of the books is markedly different (The Hobbit being the lesser book). ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
Un libro que me obsesiono por meses o años.
Todo el dinero que habia ahorrado desde pequeño lo use en comprarme una copia y bien gastado que fue. ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |
After many years, still my favourite epic.

I read this for the first time in Italian when I was about 14. Through the years I have picked it up several times again, both in Italian and English to read different passages, but never the whole book again.
Now, over thirty years after the first time, I’ve read the whole thing again, this time in English (which made appreciate a writing richness that was missing from the translation).
Still a masterpiece, still my favourite epic ever. A life changing book. ( )
  DPinSvezia | Nov 9, 2020 |
This was my second time reading "The Lord of the Rings." My first time was in middle school, when my dad read it aloud. That said, the only thing that stands out to me from my memory of the books is Tom Bombadil. Otherwise, all my memories about the series are sourced from the films, which I saw once in theaters, and then once in extended form eight years ago.

There's so much lore around Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings, it is almost impossible to say anything original about the series. In the introduction to the fiftieth anniversary edition, they note some interesting tidbits, such as that it was a student that encouraged Tolkien to finish the manuscript for the Lord of the Rings, that the story of the publishing of the series is a story of eternal typographical errors (in part, due to Tolkien's use of archaic and uncommon language), and that much of this republishing occurred because the US didn't respect Tolkien's Brittish copyright to the manuscript, so there were prolific bootlegs.

In my recent study of myth, I've been wondering, when is it appropriate to attempt to craft a new myth? As Disney has made clear, it is often more profitable to desecrate an old myth than try to tell a new one. Martin Shaw, in his teachings on myth, articulates that myths are living beings, and evolve and change over time, and yet, as a steward of a myth, we should never alter the bones of the story, but rather only adapt a myth to our own landscape. How much of Tolkien's story, in the words of media theorist Kirby Ferguson, is a "remix," and how much is original? Possible more importantly, what values do these themes espouse?

Right near the end of the book, Frodo says to Sam, “It must often be so...when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.” There's a way in which the book is about service.

Although it feels as though we too are at the turning of an age, I don't think it is anything like the monolithic arc portrayed in the Lord of the Rings. To attempt an analogy, it might be said that the Ring of Power is like climate change. And yet, I can't see civilization coherently interacting with climate change on a faster cadence than generations (certainly not in the year that the Lord of the Rings occurs during). The Lord of the Rings is about war, and although Bill McKibben has likened climate change to war, they are fundamentally different, in that, if we have an adversary in climate change, it is ourselves rather than the other.

Getting back to some differences between the films and the movies (there's also a thorough Wikipedia article on the subject), I was struck by the difference in the character of Aragorn. In the book he's rougher around the edges than in the film. Their personalities also have different qualities.

The book has a pacing from another era. To the modern reader of fiction, at times, it feels slow going. It took me maybe four months to get through, although it is quite long. I remember checking out an audio edition of "The Children of Hurin" from the library a few years ago, and it was unpalatably dry, so I quickly returned it. "The Lord of the Rings," tends to stay on this side of readability, but sometimes crosses the threshold. I pages through the appendices, but wasn't tempted to get into them because of this trend in Tolkien's writing.

Inevitably, we come around to the topic of the influence of Tolkien on the fantasy genre. Some may claim modern fantasy originates with Tolkien, and they wouldn't be all wrong. Series such as the Wheel of Time and the Stormlight Archive, as well as games like Diablo, draw heavily from the Lord of the Rings. On the other hand, you could say that much of folklore, with all of its stories of fairies, magic, and dark powers, gave Tolkien all of his fundamentals, and he just put them together in a pretty package.

There is something charming about the craftsman-like qualities of Tolkien's artistry. He drew countless sketches and illustration to accompany his work. He developed a language (elvish). He wrote numerous songs and poetry. Tolkien was a lot more than a writer, and many contemporary writers could learn much from the versatility of Tolkien's creativity. ( )
  willszal | Nov 2, 2020 |
All volumes are accompanied with maps, and Dr. Tolkien, who is a philologist, professor at Merton College of English Language and Literature, has equipped the last volume with a scholarly apparatus of appendices, explaining the alphabets and grammars of the various tongues spoken by his characters, and giving full genealogies and tables of historical chronology. Dr. Tolkien has announced that this series - the hypertrophic sequel to The Hobbit - is intended for adults rather than children, and it has had a resounding reception at the hands of a number of critics who are certainly grown-up in years. Mr. Richard Hughes, for example, has written of it that nothing of the kind on such a scale has been attempted since The Faerie Queen, and that « for width of imagination it almost beggars parallel."...

Now, how is it that these long-winded volumes of what looks to this reviewer like balderdash have elicited such tributes as those above? The answer is, I believe, that certain people - especially, perhaps, in Britain - have a lifelong appetite for juvenile trash. They would not accept adult trash, but, confronted with the pre-teen-age article, they revert to the mental phase which delighted in Elsie Dinsmore and Little Lord Fauntleroy and which seems to have made of Billy Bunter, in England, almost a national figure. You can see it in the tone they fall into when they talk about Tolkien in print: they bubble, they squeal, they coo; they go on about Malory and Spenser - both of whom have a charm and a distinction that Tolkien has never touched.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Nation, Edmund Wilson (Apr 14, 1956)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remington, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zolla, ElémireForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Lord of the Rings (Omnibus 1-3)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Tolkien's complete work; please do not combine it with any constituent part(s), each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

Also, please distinguish print editions from any dramatization. (Audiobooks, being the same text unless they're abridged, should be combined with their original Work; but dramatizations, being adaptations, should be distinguished from the original.) Thank you.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power -- the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
Halfling bears the Ring
from Bag End womb to Mount Doom,
hence Return of King.
(ed.pendragon)
Take ring to Mordor!
Why did they walk all the way?
Should have used eagles.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,882,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible