The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Return of the King (original 1954; edition 2011)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Info:HarperCollins (2011), Paperback
Collections:Toronto
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, fiction, high fantasy

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

20th century (162) adventure (298) British (178) British literature (128) classic (589) classics (310) dwarves (136) elves (227) English literature (117) epic (308) epic fantasy (156) fantasy (5,508) fantasy fiction (124) fiction (2,865) high fantasy (113) hobbits (355) J.R.R. Tolkien (180) literature (324) Lord of the Rings (582) magic (220) Middle Earth (723) novel (367) own (164) read (384) science fiction (139) series (129) sff (176) Tolkien (1,144) trilogy (114) wizards (160)
    The Fionavar Tapestry 1. The Summer Tree 2. The Wandering Fire 3. The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay (geophile)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J. R. R. Tolkien (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Guy forges a ring of power. Everyone who refused to give up the ring has it taken away from them and they die, sooner or later. Except for Wotan, the only person to give it up voluntarily.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (LKAYC)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Tolkien himself gave Eddison high praise, saying he was "The greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented worlds' that I have read". Of Eddison's best known works, 'The Worm Ouroboros' is the place to start. If you like it you may want to try his Zimiamvia trilogy too.… (more)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Well of the Unicorn by Fletcher Pratt (LamontCranston)
    The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens (Anonymous user)
    Elfhunter by C. S. Marks (anyanwubutler)
    Heaven's War by Micah Harris (jpers36)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (utterlycharming)
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki (ecureuil)
    The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    El Espiritu Del Mago (Pegasus) by Javier Negrete (cpbas)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (keremix)

English (269)  Dutch (16)  Italian (7)  German (7)  Spanish (7)  Finnish (4)  French (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (323)
One of my most favourite books.
Enough said. ( )
  maheswaranm | Mar 20, 2014 |
A really, really great book. A little heavy and it may take some time to read but I definitely don't regret it. read this book! XD ( )
  Librabookworm | Feb 14, 2014 |
J. R. R. Tolkein's work is, of course, amazing and thrilling, but I did not like this work in German as well as in English. It seemed to be less musical, and I discovered a tedium in the work which had not occurred to me when i read it in English. ( )
  Coffeehag | Jan 26, 2014 |
Absolutely fabulous! The movies don't even come close to capturing the timeless beauty of such a masterpiece. ( )
  silva_44 | Jan 24, 2014 |
As somebody who claims that Fantasy is my favorite genre, it feels almost sacrilegious to only give this series three stars. If I had read it when I was younger, or at least before I had begun reading fantasy regularly, I probably would have enjoyed it more. I think my problem is that, after reading more modern fantasy stories, this series didn’t hold anything new for me. That is of course unfair since Tolkien created many of the fantasy staples that are found in the more modern books I’ve enjoyed. But knowing that didn’t help me get through the books any more easily.

The story was a little too slow and meandering for my tastes, and I’m embarrassed to say it took me an unknown number of weeks (maybe even months) to get through it. I was admittedly very busy during the time frame in which I was reading it but, when a book is really good, I find time to read it even if it means giving up some sleep. The fact that I was already familiar with the story from watching the movies probably didn’t help, but I had actually read the first book a few years before watching the movies. It didn’t grab me then either, so I hadn’t read the rest of the series at the time.

I did love the movies, and I enjoyed seeing the differences between the books and the movies. It was also fun to read some of the parts that weren’t included in the movies. It’s still a good story, even if I found it to be slow going, and I made it through all three books this time. But I think what I was really hoping for when I decided to try this series again was to get inside the characters’ heads beyond what’s possible in a movie. I had become attached to the characters through the movies, and I wanted to learn more about what made them tick. However, these books didn’t meet that need for me. I didn’t feel like I knew the characters any better after reading their story than I had just from watching the movie. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jan 20, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!
The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far away the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists of Tolkien's complete work; please do not combine it with any constituent part(s), each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

Also, do not combine with the BBC Radio dramatization (while straight audiobooks are generally considered the same work as the original - dramatizations are often regarded as abridgements that should be kept separate.).

Thank you.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power -- the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has fallen into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose.
Halfling bears the Ring
from Bag End womb to Mount Doom,
hence Return of King.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618640150, Paperback)

A Christian can almost be forgiven for not reading the Bible, but there's no salvation for a fantasy fan who hasn't read the gospel of the genre, J.R.R. Tolkien's definitive three-book epic, the Lord of the Rings (encompassing The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King), and its charming precursor, The Hobbit. That many (if not most) fantasy works are in some way derivative of Tolkien is understood, but the influence of the Lord of the Rings is so universal that everybody from George Lucas to Led Zeppelin has appropriated it for one purpose or another.

Not just revolutionary because it was groundbreaking, the Lord of the Rings is timeless because it's the product of a truly top-shelf mind. Tolkien was a distinguished linguist and Oxford scholar of dead languages, with strong ideas about the importance of myth and story and a deep appreciation of nature. His epic, 10 years in the making, recounts the Great War of the Ring and the closing of Middle-Earth's Third Age, a time when magic begins to fade from the world and men rise to dominance. Tolkien carefully details this transition with tremendous skill and love, creating in the Lord of the Rings a universal and all-embracing tale, a justly celebrated classic. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:54 -0400)

Presents the epic depicting the Great War of the Ring, a struggle between good and evil in Middle-earth, following the odyssey of Frodo the hobbit and his companions on a quest to destroy the Ring of Power.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible