Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her…

Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World (2013)

by Alison Weir

I am a huge fan of Alison Weir as a historian. Her books on the Wars of the Roses and late medieval monarchy are excellent but I am not really keen on her historical romances. Given the amount of current interest in this particular period, through the Philippa Gregory novels and tv series and the discovery of the grave of Richard III, I was pleased to see this book about one of the pivotal characters.

Elizabeth was the daughter of Edward IV and Elizabeth Wydville, sister to the 'Princes in the Tower, wife of Henry Tudor, mother of Henry VIII and grandmother of Elizabeth I - yet very little is known about her directly. She appears as an adjunct to some of the largest characters and most turbulent times and Weir has created a scholarly yet accessible account of both her life and her influence. ( )
1 vote pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
Excellent book. ( )
  shazjhb | Apr 1, 2017 |
What did I think - not much I am sorry to say. Although Weir is not my favourite author, I am prepared to put aside my dislike to read - and objectively - what she has written - and for the record I have read a number of her books - most I have disliked, one however, I did like. This, I think I can add to the "did not like" pile.

Firstly, Elizabeth's younger years are quite shadowy but Weir manages to flesh these out by giving us a history lesson - really the first seven chapters read like a tome on the Wars of the Roses - and I have books a-plenty on this subject.

Secondly, again with very little information on her married life Weir instead references Elizabeth with the actions and events surrounding Henry Tudor, her husband. And sometimes this is all we ever have.

Thirdly, as with all her other factual accounts, we are bombarded with detail, presumption and very little substance.

I am trying very hard to fathom the amount of actual information there is on Elizabeth that was worthy of 600 odd pages - quite frankly it required barely a quarter in my opinion. The larger the book ... overcompensating for a distinct lack of anything else.

What I would have been more impressed with is a tome of quality rather than quantity. ( )
  Melisende | Mar 2, 2017 |
Elizabeth of York has always been a fascinating historical figure to me. I've read about her before, but mainly in books where she's a minor character. It was great to read a book that focused on her and the time she lived through, and I always enjoy Weir's books, having read most of them, her books being very readable and enjoyable for historical fans like me.

This book has a LOT of fact contained within its pages. I downloaded it about 2 months ago, and it's taken me that long to complete reading it - not because I didn't enjoy it, but because most of the time I read it, I had to have a copy of the family tree sitting in front of me. Keeping all of the persons involved straight was a nightmare (for someone like me who can barely remember her husband's name most nights!) and having a 'cheat sheet' handy was very helpful.

There were sections that I skimmed through, simply because there was so much detail involved.

There are some new theories being floated in this book, some of which I agreed with and some of which I did not.

anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An amazing biography of the mother of Henry VIII, Elizabeth of York. This lady had an even better claim to the throne than her husband, Henry VII. Following the death of her uncle, Richard III, Henry VII married her and secured his position as King. Elizabeth and Henry were a devoted couple. It's heartbreaking to read of the death of their son, Arthur, and the effect it had on the couple. After his death, the King sent for Elizabeth so that they could grieve together.

Alison Weir has written an absolutely astounding biography. It was fascinating. In this book we follow Elizabeth from her life as a King's daughter, King's niece, and King's wife. It's highly recommended. ( )
  briandrewz | Jun 4, 2016 |
We will unite the white rose and the red.
Smile Heaven upon this fair conjunction
That long hath frowned upon their enmity!-
What traitor hears me, and says not Amen?
England hath long been mad and scarred herself;
The brother blindly shed the brother's blood,
The father rashly slaughtered his own son,
The son, compell'd, been butcher to the sire:
All this divided York and Lancaster,
Divided in their dire division.
O now let Richmond and Elizabeth,
the true successors of each royal House,
By God's fair ordinance conjoin together!
And let their heirs - God, if Thy will be so -
Enrich the time to come with smooth-faced peace,
With smiling plenty, and fair prosperous days!

William Shakespeare: Richard III
This book is dedicated to seven little people: Neve Marston, Jake Preston, Eleanor Weir, Emily Weir, Piper Weir, Susan Weir, Wren Weir, and to two great friends, Shelley and Burnell
Elizabeth of York's role in history was crucial, although in a less chauvinistic age it would, by right, have been more so.

A biography of the first Tudor queen, who was the only living descendent of Yorkist King Edward IV, and mother of the infamous Henry VIII, sheds new light on the life of this enigmatic woman and mother of the Tudor dynasty.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alison Weir's book Elizabeth of York was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,828,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible