Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich

Takedown Twenty

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (20)

English (41)  Piratical (1)  All languages (42)
Just after I retrieved this book from the library and worked my way through the first couple chapters, I read the review I wrote for the previous title in this series, number nineteen. At that point I said i said i was done with Stephanie Plum, since that book was a crappy rehash of every other one of these novels. I don't know if it's the head space I'm in or what, but this one seemed marginally better. It was still a series of mishaps, Stephanie getting into scrapes and being rescued by one or more of the men who inexplicably want to kiss her every time they see her, then Stephanie swearing she's going to quit being a bounty hunter, then making a bad decision, usually with former hooker cum sidekick Lula in tow, who gets distracted and lets Stephanie face the consequences alone. Yes, that was a run-on sentence, but I think it's fitting, since this is like the run-on sentence of fiction series. Right now I count 7 unread books on my nightstand, and 20 is a nice round number, so I think I really will leave off reading these now. Or maybe I'll pull a Plum and change my mind when the next insipid installment comes around. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Take Down Twenty- A Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich is a 2013 Bantam publication.

This is another one of those series I have lost track with over time. I think the last number I read was way back at sixteen. But, I saw this one while scrolling through the offerings on Overdrive and thought I might just check in on Stephanie and Lula and see if anything had changed.

Nope, not really. Lula still drives a Firebird, Stephanie is still torn between two lovers, still an accident prone bounty hunter, and Gradma Mazur is still attending funerals and playing bingo.

Ranger's investigation into the murder of several elderly women, one of whom happened to know Grandma, had promise and was the plot line I was most invested in.

One of the main reasons I kept coming back for more adventures with Stephanie, was the humor. Even though these books are like reading the same story over and over, with little or no character growth, I would still get a case of the giggles while reading them. But, this time around, I chuckled a few times here and there, but mostly this one was a dud.
Even so, I'm sure that after a few more numbers go by, curiosity will get the better of me and I will just have to see what's going on with the gang. So, even though this one really fell flat, I'm still invested enough to keep tabs on the series. Overall this one gets a 2.5 rounded to 3 ( )
  gpangel | Jul 22, 2015 |
Story was excellent and ending unexpected. Just getting bored (again) with the redundancy in her novels; however, I understand she wants readers who have not started with the first Plum book get the backstory. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 13, 2015 |
Same old - same old. Stephanie sets building on fire - check. Stephanie's car stole and/or destroyed - check to both. Stephanie tries to quit bounty hunter job - check. Stephanie can't commit to Morelli or Ranger - check. The whole Grandma Mazer craziness was not especially funny or entertaining this time. The best moments were supplied by Lula as usual but even she is getting on my nerves (a giraffe? - give me a break). ( )
  reneebooks | May 1, 2015 |
Another fun installment. Read it over Christmas in 2 days. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |

Evanovich, Janetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was late at night and Lula and I had been staking out Salvatore Sunucchi, better known as Uncle Sunny, when Lula spotted Jimmy Spit.

Stephanie Plum is back in all-new adventure from #1 bestselling author Janet Evanovich.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum knows better than to mess with family. But when powerful mobster Salvatore "Uncle Sunny" Sunucchi goes on the lam in Trenton, it's up to Stephanie to find him. Uncle Sunny is charged with murder for running over a guy (twice), and nobody wants to turn him in--not his poker buddies, not his bimbo girlfriend, not his two right-hand men, Shorty and Moe. Even Trenton's hottest cop, Joe Morelli, has skin in the game, because "just Stephanie's luck" the godfather is his actual godfather. And while Morelli understands that the law is the law, his old-world grandmother, Bella, is doing everything she can to throw Stephanie off the trail.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible