Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving…

Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving Yourself and Breaking Free from the…

by Everett Worthington Jr.

311,990,162 (5)None

In this practical, inspiring book, Dr. Everett Worthington identifies six steps to forgiving yourself:
• Receive God’s forgiveness
• Repair relationships
• Rethink ruminations
• REACH emotional self-forgiveness
• Rebuild self-acceptance
• Resolve to live virtuously

Weaving his own story of struggling with his brother’s suicide and his overwhelming feelings of regret, together with psychological insight, scientific research, and biblical truth, Dr. Worthington opens a clear path to freedom from self-condemnation to self-acceptance and most importantly, to the full life that Christ promises.

All sin, many repent, but few really forgive themselves and find peace. Too often we fail to fully claim the "amazing grace" of the Atonement. How can we help our loved ones-- and ourselves-- let go of past mistakes? Everett L. Worthington Jr., an experienced psychologist, maps the journey from self-blame to self- forgiveness. He shows how the pure doctrines of the gospel, coupled with the practical perspectives of psychology, can help us stop harrowing our souls and start planting the seeds of faith, healing, and joy.

This is one of the best self-help books I have ever read. Not only did I gain new perspectives on forgiveness but on the gospel as a whole. The personal section was especially helpful for me. I would recommend the book to anyone simply because of the insights it provides in a variety of areas related to forgiveness. Thank you for an outstanding and helpful book. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | May 24, 2013 |

“I can never forgive myself,” she said. “Every time I think about it, I get sick to my stomach.”
I knew that feeling. I had felt it due to my own failures and shortcomings. I also knew I could help her, because I know that sometimes the hardest person to forgive is yourself.

The partial truth about us is hard to accept: We hurt those we love. We fail to step in when others need us most. We do wrong—and we need forgiveness. From others and from God, but also from ourselves.

But the full truth about us is liberating and freeing: while we are more deeply flawed than we can imagine, we also are far more valuable and cherished than we can comprehend. To reach the place of self-forgiveness, we must  embrace this  truth. The gift of God’s acceptance frees us from self-blame, guilt, and shame.

·         Receive God’s forgiveness
·         Repair relationships
·         Rethink ruminations
·         REACH emotional self-forgiveness
·         Rebuild self-acceptance
·         Resolve to live virtuously

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:35:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,598,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible