The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

by Holly Black

I finished around 60% of this book before giving up. This storyline is overdone and I got bored. The love story is shallow and the characters are not interesting. ( )
  ladonna37 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Firstly, I'll admit that I love the idea of this book. While there are some aspects of the world building that simply don't work (for example, how do vampires seem to keep getting out of the supposedly sealed Coldtown), for the large part it's very well thought out and a unique take on the tried and tested vampire-lore. The tone touches upon the post-apocalyptic in places, setting up a world where both vampires and vampire hunters are celebrities and people, and does a great job of illustrating the pros and cons of turning.

However, the story isn't fantastic. The actual plot of the story is fairly short in simple, padded by poor pacing and long chapters of exposition. While some is relevant, a lot could have been cut from the story or better integrated so it didn't have to be written en mass. The twists of the story were too well sign posted to be especially surprising and the ending was a little downplayed. I won't spoil it here, but I was left feeling that the story had ended with more of a whimper than a bang.

Then there was the characters. I just didn't understand Tana at all. Her motivations skewed wildly, sometimes wanting to be a vampire and other times not. She was also master of making poor decisions. Constantly. Tana seemed wilfully dense at times, having no apparent sense of risk and frequently making rash decisions. Like interring herself into a Coldtown when NOT EVEN KNOWING THAT SHE'S INFECTED.

Beyond that, the characters were neither especially memorable or likeable. The only one that I actually grew attached to was Valentina, but I was disappointed that she barely featured in the story at all. It felt like a waste, as her reasons for coming to Coldtown were probably the most interesting and I'd like to have learned more about her.

So, all in all, I was left disappointed. I loved the concept and setting but, beyond this, the novel went down hill pretty quickly after its admittedly gripping opening. I'm sure there are people that it will appeal to, but it's not one for me. ( )
3 vote ArkhamReviews | Feb 2, 2017 |
After a violent attack at a party, leaving many casualties behind, Tana finds herself in trouble. With an infected ex-boyfriend on the verge of becoming a vampire, a mysterious, secretive boy, and herself in tow, she must make it to Coldtown. Once you go in, there is no return. Also available in book and physical audiobook format.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 30, 2016 |
This is one of those book aimed at the vampire loving teenage girl genre, but manages to turn the story into something a bit more deep. This isn't a great work of fiction by any means, but its doable.

First - we have a leading lady who is strong, and know what she wants. She is decisive, takes action, doe the right thing. Of course, the vampires are still sexy, still dangerous, and still hold the fascination of the world. The only difference is that Tana is actually smart

Holly Black managed to right a vampire story that stays to true to recent genre, while at the same time pointing out out just how in human these creatures are.

Overall, well writte, interesting, but fairly standard. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 22, 2016 |
I loved this book!!!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing can happen more beautiful than death.
--Walt Whitman
For Steve Berman, who inspired the story that inspired this novel
Tana woke lying in a bathtub.
This is the novel by Holly Black, not the short story it is based on.

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:29 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Tana wakes up following a party in the aftermath of a violent vampire attack, she travels to Coldtown, a quarantined Massachusetts city full of vampires, with her ex-boyfriend and a mysterious vampire boy in tow.

223 wanted4 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,321,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible