The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown (edition 2013)

by Holly Black (Author)

Member:RPHS_Library
Title:The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2013), 440 pages

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

I feel like some of the previous reviewers need to read [b:How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines|39933|How to Read Literature Like a Professor A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines|Thomas C. Foster|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1423768816s/39933.jpg|39635] because they really, really didn't get it.

I loved this book. It was refreshing to read YA with fleshed out characters and a complex plot. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
"Welcome to Coldtown. Breakfast at dusk. Lunch at midnight. Dinner at dawn."
The Writing and Worldbuilding

This is my second foray into the writing of Holly Black and my first one didn't really impress me. Unfortunately, neither did this one, really. There's little that's unique or meaningful in her stories. She grazes the surface but can't seem to dip under. Between The Darkest Part of the Forest and this book, nothing is very different. Many of the characters are exactly the same (the MCs as a great example of this, though I found her to work better in this story than in the other one), and the endings both felt like set up for an non-existent and unnecessary sequel (because of how vague and unfulfilling they are). The writing itself is simplistic and unremarkable, relying too heavily on chapter epigraphs to provide meaning, and was often redundant when attempting worldbuilding, even if the concept was already adequately explained, and I felt like I was reading a lot of filler to make the book appear bigger even though nothing had actually happened.

Honestly the premise felt like True Blood for teens but less convoluted and less exciting. I'm trash for vampires so I did enjoy it, but it's not something I ever see myself reading again. Strangely, it felt like something Scott Westerfeld would have written, and he tends to be hit-and-miss a lot of the time, spewing the same meaningless, inoffensive teen novels that ultimately tend to hijack and burn their own virtues by the end.

But that's besides the point.

It was quick and fun and anticlimactic at the end, leaving no lasting impression, but it did keep me reading, and I liked some of the characters enough to care.

The Characters

Tana: She's basically a better thought out version of Hazel from TDPoTF. She's headstrong and persistent. I liked her enough.

Aidan: He was funny and all and I really enjoyed his descent into madness but ultimately he was just a jerk and I don't really like people like him anyway, and found some of his actions at the end inexplicable because he lacked a clear character arc.

Gavriel: Definitely the highlight of the book. He's a little whacked in the head and has a lot of fun dialogue that I really enjoyed.

Midnight: She was the character that felt the most Westerfeldian. She would have fit right into the Uglies universe.

Pearl: Honestly I don't really see the point of her storyline.

Lucien: He's basically just a dollar store Lestat

Conclusion

Black has yet to impress me but I did enjoy the book enough to give it 4 stars. A lot of the scenes were quite visceral and I just have a soft spot for vampires, so it was okay. Likely won't reread but still fun.

We all wind up drawn to what we're afraid of, drawn to try to find a way to make ourselves safe from a thing by crawling inside of it, by loving it, by becoming it. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
This book is a fun little modern vampire story. It's hard to write a new kind of vampire tale, but the author does a good job of pulling it off.

The popularity of vampires has trailed off a bit, but it has elements of action, friendship, romance, and love that most readers would enjoy.

The audiobook has some cheesy dramatic music that plays from time to time, but I didn't hate it. Just be aware of that if you choose the audiobook and are a hater of background music. ( )
  aurorapaigem | Dec 1, 2018 |
Plot: 5/5
Oh, I just—words can’t—words fail me here.
But this was amazing and fast-paced and emotional. And also, the world-building was so well-done and so crucial to the plot.

Characters: 5/5
I have more to say here. I do, I promise.
Tana: I loved her. I love, love, loved her. On the first page, she woke up, and there were a bunch of dead kids, the vampires that had killed them, her ex-boyfriend, and one random vampire, and she almost broke but instead she stood up and was like, “All right, let’s get this done. I am going to get us through this and I am going to save you, my jerk-ass ex-boyfriend, you, the random crazy vampire, and myself, so shut up and get in the car.” And that was pretty much her attitude through out the book. “I’m gonna get this done” even though getting it done threatened to break open all her vulnerabilities and almost broke her at SO MANY POINTS.
QUOTE: It was almost funny, the way she couldn’t wear an single outfit without ruining it. DIFFERENT QUOTE: She didn’t want to explain the recklessness, the pleasure of making a bad choice, picking her own path to damnation.
Aidan: I actually REALLY loved Aidan. I don’t understand him at all—I mean, he was so… weird. When we flashbacked to his and Tana’s relationship it was just so strange. Well, he was. And I don’t understand why, but I loved it, and I loved him. I was sort of sad when he just sort of disappeared from the story after he became a vampire.
QUOTE: “You’re playing some kind of game of sex chicken with him. Who cares one of you flinches first?”
Gavriel: *SQUEEEEEEE* here is a VAMPIRE. Ancient, tortured, INSANE, and actually violent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Should I be less excited? Does this make me seem like psychopath?)
QUOTE: “I have a friend too. And I mean to kill him.” DIFFERENT QUOTE: “You’re very, very dangerous, I get that, and you’re prone to some very theatrical brooding, but don’t let yourself mistake that for some kind of inner corruption.”
Midnight: I really loved what Midnight added to the novel. In a way, Midnight was part of the world-building. I didn’t actually like HER, but I liked her purpose in the novel, if that makes sense.
QUOTE: “Clever girl. You play with fire because you want to be burnt.”
Winter: Winter was clever, and he wanted to be vampire, but he didn’t, and that made sense, because his motivation was clear: his sister.
Lucien and Elisabet: I loved all Gav’s flashbacks, because that’s where (I feel) we really got to know Lucien. And the flashback with all three of them going to Spider was especially telling.
QUOTE:
Pauline: I don’t feel that we ever really got to know her, because she was mentioned, like, five times, and we actually spoke to her twice. And both times were over the phone. I just think we could’ve gotten to know her a little better. When did she and Tana meet? How did they become friends? Why is Pauline such a good friend where the other two mentioned (Nicole and Amber, I believe) weren’t? Did Tana meet Pauline at that sleepaway camp? I just… I have wonderings.
Pearl: We got to know pearl better than Pauline, but I didn’t really like pearl. I mean, I know liked her, cared about her, which is what raised the stakes. But honestly… Pearl is just the quintessential little-sister-character. Yo know the little-sister-character. Her only purpose is to get kidnapped, get in trouble, do something stupid and get taken by the mafia or whatever so the main character has to go save her. She shows up in, like, EVERY STORY. EVER. The first little-sister-character I ever saw, the one who, for me, defines the little-sister-character is Buffy’s Dawn. And Pearl, I’m sorry, but you nowhere near as likable as Dawn. Only Tana loved you, and I know why she loved you, but me? I didn’t. Sorry.

Romance: 5/5
So we have Aidan, Tana, and Gavriel, running away together. The perfect set up for a love triangle. But, I actually don’t feel like there was a love triangle here. Some people may disagree with me, I know, but I honestly DON’T think there was a love triangle.
Which must have been hard to resist with that tantalizing set-up.
We had Aidan, and his weird idea of what a relationship should be like, and Tana, who was still a little pissed because of their break-up, and Gavriel, the insane vampire they decided to take along with them.
It was well-developed, and they only kissed once over the course of the novel, it was VERY sexy. And the ending… it was just right.
QUOTE: “You’re more dangerous than daybreak.”

two extra credit points for that AMAZING world building,

Overall Grade:17/15. A
I am JEALOUS of this book. This is a book that I wish I had written. But I know that if I had written it, it wouldn’t have been quite as good, and I’m Holly Black’s hands rather than mine.
And Holly Black has made my favorite Authors list, with this one and The Curse Workers.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I am SUCH a sucker for bloody YA vampire books with a female protagonist. It wasn't perfect--a lot of the thematic imagery would have benefited from one more close edit--but it was also incredibly exciting and I lost several decent nights' sleep trying to make time to read. Definitely recommend! ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Illingworth, SashaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing can happen more beautiful than death.
--Walt Whitman
For Steve Berman, who inspired the story that inspired this novel
Tana woke lying in a bathtub.
This is the novel by Holly Black, not the short story it is based on.

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:29 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Tana wakes up following a party in the aftermath of a violent vampire attack, she travels to Coldtown, a quarantined Massachusetts city full of vampires, with her ex-boyfriend and a mysterious vampire boy in tow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,743,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible