Poem for the Day One by Nicholas Albery

Poem for the Day One (2001)

by Nicholas Albery

A great collection of poems. If you don't read much poetry you'll be surprised how many lines you recognize. ( )
  barpurple | Mar 18, 2011 |
A collection of poems intended to be read aloud daily. This good idea is neatly implemented although I could argue with some selections. All anthologies are personal selections so it is harsh to criticise this for not being my own choices but this is my party and I'll carp if I want to. ( )
  TheoClarke | Oct 25, 2009 |
Lord Wavell's anthology "Other men' flowers" put together during World War II, was composed of poems that at one time he had learnt by heart. Simiolrly, this anthology came about because the editor, Nicholas Albery, says in his Introduction "When I look back at everything I studied at school, nothing fills me with as much pleasure as remembering the few poems I learnt there." ... Nor am I surprised by Dr Robin Philipps' research ... indicating that poetry reading is as good a cure for depression as pills.
The poems are arranged so that the day on which they appear is one of significance in the poet's life, and each is supplemented with additional information. All the royalties from the book and its successor go to the charity "The Natural Death Centre", another of Nicholas Albery's good ideas. ( )
  gibbon | Oct 21, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible