The Art of Mingling: Easy, Proven Techniques…

The Art of Mingling: Easy, Proven Techniques for Mastering Any Room (edition 1993)

by Jeanne Martinet

Info:St. Martin's Griffin (1992), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:*1/2
Tags:non-fiction, self-help, social skills

The Art of Mingling: Proven Techniques for Mastering Any Room by Jeanne Martinet

I picked this book up at a used book sale and, frankly, if I had paid more than a dollar for it, it would have been too much. The attempts at humor are labored and cliche-ridden, nor is the book useful in any genuine sense. I've met people who attempt to use highly artifical ploys such as those outlined here and, except in the case of the most obnoxious, have ached for the lack of social skills they showed. ( )
  turtlesleap | Aug 1, 2012 |
A confession: I was prepared to attempt a humorously catty review of the audio version of this book until reading responses from readers who found its advice helpful. On reflection, her advice has its value -- much of it will be appropriate only to some social situations and some people. However, many of her ideas aren't too bad, making me wish I'd had her book years ago, when I found social situations much more difficult. ( )
4 vote danielx | Oct 8, 2010 |
It is quite amazing how easy mingling seems, in theory, after reading this book. There are so many topics of conversation suggested that it seems inconceivable that anyone could ever be lost for words. The trouble is I still am. I suspect it would take more than a book to make me mingle, but for less hopeless cases this book could well be the answer! ( )
  jayne_charles | Aug 28, 2010 |
Easy, casual read, written in friendly manner (as you'd talk w/a friend, say) and peppered with tips and techniques for both entering a social event and making an exit.

Evident author investment and interest in getting minglephobes out there mingling, but at times too lighthearted and techniques all named something cutesy can get annoying.

Overall, a nice read for ideas, and will use for upcoming meet and greet for new Head of School. ( )
  writecathy | Jul 3, 2008 |
I'm enjoying this. A 'fun'damental work for those of us who really do struggle socially.
  moonflowerdragon | Dec 9, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312083165, Paperback)

- Opening lines that really work
- Tips and tricks for the tongue-tied
- The etiquette of escape
- Mastering the fine points of eye contact, small talk, introductions, and more
- Feel terrific at any party -- business or social

Does the idea of talking to a lot of people you don't know make you weak in the knees? You may be suffering from mingle-phobia -- a secret fear of parties. The Art of Mingling will show you how to overcome your fears, meet new people with charm and confidence, and acheive social success at every kind of party -- business or pleasure. Filled with dozens of simple techniques, tricks, lines and maneuvers, The Art of Mingling will help you:
- Develop the right mindset for entering a room full of strangers
- Choose your first mingling target
- Deliver opening lines that really work
- Keep the conversation alive and interesting
- Master the etiquette of escape
- Circulate with grace and style
- Use advanced mingling techniques such as body language, accents, props, toasts, and name tags for maximum effect
- Recover from faux pas -- everything from spills and memory lapses to wrong attire
- Negotiate tough rooms (too crowded, too empty, too "too")
- Feel completely at ease at any kind of party

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:58 -0400)

Explains how to overcome social fears to have a great time at any type of business or social gathering, presenting dozens of tips, techniques, tricks, lines, and maneuvers that cover basic survival strategies, the etiquette of escape, faux pas recovery, how to negotiate a tough room, and how to keep the conversation going in the right direction.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible