The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks

The Broken Eye (2014)

by Brent Weeks

As with The Black Prism and The Blinding Knife, this book had me laughing and gasping the whole way through. Let me tell you, that’s a little awkward when you are spending most of your time reading on a packed commuter train.

After thoroughly enjoying the first two books, I was eager to start this one. It did not disappoint. The plot was more intense again than the first two, with the stakes higher than ever and the consequences of actions have extreme reactions at times. The tension was handled masterfully and the humour interrupted in just the right places to keep you breathing.

The characters’ development comes on in leaps and bounds this time. Gavin’s character has a complete change around with the loss of his power, but is still as likeable than ever. Karris too must take a new position and does so in a way that does not diminish her power or likeability in any way. Kip and Teia begin to truly understand the depths of their power and precisely what they are capable of when they let themselves believe it. The reader can connect to the characters – all of them – the whole way through.

With the plot and the characters ticking all the boxes, the book draws the reader in and holds their attention. The split narration works perfectly, switching between them to not only give a wider view of what is happening, but allowing you to connect to all of the main characters.

The writing is strong. It has to be to hold my attention for an 800 page book, especially as it is the third in the series. The plot, the characters, the pacing… Weeks knows how to write fantasy, there is nothing more I can say to that. The twist at the end of the book has me eagerly awaiting the final instalment and I’m frustrated that I have to wait almost an entire year before I get to find out what happens.

If you are looking for some high fantasy, full of magic and fights with enough moments to literally make you laugh out loud, then you simply must check out The Lightbringer Series. All of the elements work perfectly for a thoroughly enjoyable read from start to finish. ( )
  Lindz92 | Jun 8, 2017 |
I should stop expecting authors to write trilogies.

You want some gritty realism here and there because we're covering a war and *bleep* happens? You got it.
You want complicated plot twists that you didn't expect and fantastic depth of characters? You got it.

I can only dream that someday I would be able epic fantasy write so well. There are few authors I know that can really play the high epic fantasy card. Brent Weeks is one. You will not get lost with "who's doing what?" as you read the book. You probably want to re-read the books from year to year (or hit the wiki, if you read slowly).

You will not want to put this book down, finish it, and then spend the rest of the time dying for the next one.
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
I thought maybe this was the last book in the series but no. This book brings up even more questions for the series while it answers some of the ones the readers have been waiting for. Beware of the cliffhangers in this series. The last book had one and this one has one too, cliffhangers that leave you second guessing everything you thought you knew. It’s a big series, epic fantasy, so you’re bound to see good development here and we do. It seems like there is a big cast of characters but there’s not too many when you consider that most all have main stories that all tie in together somehow. Definitely read the first two books first. Recommended if you like the epic fantasy genre and big long books/series. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 10, 2015 |
If Mr. Weeks hasn't read a lot of green lantern comics i would be very surprised, but what he has done with this inspiration is what makes this a must read for epic fantasy fans. Brent Weeks has joined my list of authors who i'll pre-order every new book. Whens the next one come out? ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
I was sent an uncorrected proof printing of this book. No spoilers follow.

If you enjoyed the previous two volumes Brent won't let you down in this one. Highly recommend this to all his fans. :)

He had a few lines of dialog that really stood out, one example: "Even the forgiven must pay penance."

Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
As the old gods awaken, the Chromeria is in a race to find its lost Prism, the only man who may be able to stop catastrophe, Gavin Guile. But Gavin's enslaved on a galley, and when he finally escapes, he finds himself in less than friendly hands. Without the ability to draft which has defined him . . .

Meanwhile, the Color Prince's army continues its inexorable advance, having swallowed two of the seven satrapies, they now invade the Blood Forest. Andross Guile, thinking his son Gavin lost, tasks his two grandsons with stopping the advance. Kip and his psychopathic half-brother Zymun will compete for the ultimate prize: who will become the next Prism.

Without the protection of Gavin Guile, who has been captured and enslaved and has lost his powers, Kip, Teia, and Karris fight to survive a secret war between the nobles, rebels, and an ancient order of stealthy assassins called The Broken Eye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,037,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible