Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate…

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms,…

by Allie Brosh

This is a memoir of sorts -- a collection of stories about events in the author's life. It's told with words and pictures and is, at times, absolutely hilarious. But there's a depth here, especially when the author talks about her struggle with depression, that made me think. I enjoyed this book very much. ( )
  LynnB | Feb 12, 2019 |
Kind of a hard book to rate because there isn't a plot to dissect.

The rating is mostly based on how funny I found the book. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments, but not as much as I was expecting. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
When my sister and I were kids, she wrote this hilarious story called Mr. Jaws, which was constructed on a type of MadLibs concept, but using song titles. I remember laughing until it hurt as I read it, then feeling totally jealous of her talent for crafting such hilarity.

I had the same feeling as I read the much anticipated Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. I had already enjoyed some of the material included in the book on Brosh’s website, but Simple Dog and Helper Dog travel well from interweb to book. Of course, God of Cake will always be one of the funniest things I have read. E.V.E.R.

Brosh has an uncanny talent for nailing feelings and emotions using what appear to be childishly crude drawings. She conveys disappointment, rage, and happiness with just a few well placed lines. The accompanying text tells stories that we can all relate to on some level.

The most powerful piece in the book, however, is Brosh’s description of her battle with depression. We are given a glimpse into the very real, very confusing, and wholly debilitating experience of suddenly finding yourself in the middle of a severe depression. Anyone who has grappled with depression can relate to what Brosh endured, and I am sure that pieces of her artwork and text are printed out and taped up on walls all over the world. My favorites are “Not today! I’ve got legs, motherfucker!” and “I wish to rent all these movies and purchase all of these Skittles!” Those two acts of defiance can rally me on my worst days.

I have to wonder if the tremendous attention Brosh has experienced through her website and now the publication of her book has contributed to her owns struggles. Suddenly discovering that there are legions of fans out there who totally get her work has got to be startling. She has been missed on the web, but has returned triumphantly with a new story about the power of a dinosaur costume, another true gem of childhood.

Hyperbole and a Half is an awesome book and everyone should buy it. It has alot of heart. ;-) ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
A book compilation of comics and sketches that look like they were done in MS Paint, sharing observations, life happenings, hard things, not hard things, and all manner of anecdotes that delight and amuse and provide understanding at just the right time. Stories about learning to function like a proper adult, dealing with depression, or training a dog. It's a book that's easy to leaf though rather than read front to back but that's okay, too. It's an excellent book to share with someone who needs a laugh or a hand or to see that other people might be experiencing the same things, whatever those "things" might be. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Dec 16, 2018 |
Most people over time have felt all the feelings in this book (if not, good for you? I'm not so sure), I know I have except wondering if my pet was retarded. My pet is brilliant. Ok, she may have just tried to eat a twist tie. In any case, if you've ever been down or felt lost, read this book. You are not alone and do not have a cone on your head, so you've got that going for you. ( )
  LivingReflections | Dec 2, 2018 |
Brosh has an odd way of looking at the world and an uncanny ability to write about her personal — and specific — circumstances so that those of us who are even more odd can identify. ... Think of Brosh as a visceral, brutally honest David Sedaris — with badly drawn images — and buy this book.

It would be easy to dismiss Brosh as unnecessarily self-deprecating. But it seems that it’s the sheer intensity of her critical self-consciousness and conscious self-criticalness that people have connected with so deeply. By revealing the selfish grotesqueness of everyday humanity, the stories encourage us to become more reflexive of our inherent flaws, which can be both productive and humbling. And also, it would be nothing short of ironic to criticise Brosh for her almost complete lack of subtlety when the premise of the book is embedded right there in the title: it’s all about hyperbole.

Allie Broshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee-Mui, RuthDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Scott.
What now, fucker?
Also for Mom, Dad, Kaiti, Laurie, Duncan, Sarah, Joey, and Lee.
You're all great.
It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this. (Introduction)
When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my back yard.
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!

Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasies and battles with depression.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,466,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible