dismiss

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate…

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms,…

by Allie Brosh

Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasies and battles with depression.

English (227)  Dutch (1)  All languages (228)
The best part was that stupid goose and the whole time I was thinking this is so made up or exaggerated and as if she read my thoughts THERES THE PHOTO EVIDENCE NOTHING WAS EXAGGERATED. Also dogs, the dog stories are my favorite.

Needs a sequel. It goes too fast. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
Someone (on the internet, of course) mentioned it had been 10 years since the Alot was introduced to the world, as of April 2020. Allie Brosh’s blog and in fact hyperbolic MS Paint drawings are responsible for the way a generation of us communicate online. X all the Y and yes, the Alot are now old memes, but for old memers and new readers, they’re still inherently funny. Rereading this book is like Allie reading the letter her ten-year-old self wrote to her future self in crayon: it doesn’t induce nostalgia so much as it makes me feel real weird about myself.
Henry H. 4/16/20 ( )
  RoeschLeisure | Apr 16, 2020 |
so. damn. good.

3rd time reading this since its release -- and it's still so excellent. and relatable. and sad. and funny. and sad. and perfect. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 2, 2020 |
With things as they are, I felt it was time to grab a humor book off the to-read shelf, and Hyperbole and a Half fit the bill. Over the years, I've read a number of their stories online, but all of them in the book seemed new to me. It's amusing and comforting to read the perspective of someone who is neurotic like me --I feel the same way when I read the Bloggess's work. My favorite tales in this book were about the Goose (oh wow, the goose) and the incredibly honest portrayals of depression in all its weirdness. ( )
  ladycato | Mar 20, 2020 |
A gut wrenching almost graphic novel that is funny too. The author has a wonderful point of view on her life and her dogs' lives and I'm glad I read it. But it does get a little overwrought by the time it finishes. If it was fiction that would have been one thing, but the fact that it is real makes the book sometimes feel like a bandaid has been ripped off and we are getting yet another look into a fresh wound.

Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Brosh has an odd way of looking at the world and an uncanny ability to write about her personal — and specific — circumstances so that those of us who are even more odd can identify. ... Think of Brosh as a visceral, brutally honest David Sedaris — with badly drawn images — and buy this book.

It would be easy to dismiss Brosh as unnecessarily self-deprecating. But it seems that it’s the sheer intensity of her critical self-consciousness and conscious self-criticalness that people have connected with so deeply. By revealing the selfish grotesqueness of everyday humanity, the stories encourage us to become more reflexive of our inherent flaws, which can be both productive and humbling. And also, it would be nothing short of ironic to criticise Brosh for her almost complete lack of subtlety when the premise of the book is embedded right there in the title: it’s all about hyperbole.

Allie Broshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee-Mui, RuthDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Scott.
What now, fucker?
Also for Mom, Dad, Kaiti, Laurie, Duncan, Sarah, Joey, and Lee.
You're all great.
It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this. (Introduction)
When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my back yard.
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,236,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible