dismiss

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms,…

by Allie Brosh

Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasies and battles with depression.

English (228)  Dutch (1)  All languages (229)
Finally got around to reading this! I was actually expecting it to mostly be the stories I've read multiple times online, but there's actually way more original content in here than I realised. Very funny, very insightful and very identifiable, as always. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
There is very little in this book that you're not going to get from the blog: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com

But if you think the blog is hilarious and you want a nice printed out copy of it on glossy pages, this book is for you. ( )
  atreic | Jun 22, 2020 |
Can't believe it took me so long to read this! Cannot count the number of times I laughed, or how close to home her chapters on depression hit. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
This was so! funny! I'm so glad I picked this up. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
The best part was that stupid goose and the whole time I was thinking this is so made up or exaggerated and as if she read my thoughts THERES THE PHOTO EVIDENCE NOTHING WAS EXAGGERATED. Also dogs, the dog stories are my favorite.

Needs a sequel. It goes too fast. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
Brosh has an odd way of looking at the world and an uncanny ability to write about her personal — and specific — circumstances so that those of us who are even more odd can identify. ... Think of Brosh as a visceral, brutally honest David Sedaris — with badly drawn images — and buy this book.

It would be easy to dismiss Brosh as unnecessarily self-deprecating. But it seems that it’s the sheer intensity of her critical self-consciousness and conscious self-criticalness that people have connected with so deeply. By revealing the selfish grotesqueness of everyday humanity, the stories encourage us to become more reflexive of our inherent flaws, which can be both productive and humbling. And also, it would be nothing short of ironic to criticise Brosh for her almost complete lack of subtlety when the premise of the book is embedded right there in the title: it’s all about hyperbole.

Allie Broshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee-Mui, RuthDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Scott.
What now, fucker?
Also for Mom, Dad, Kaiti, Laurie, Duncan, Sarah, Joey, and Lee.
You're all great.
It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this. (Introduction)
When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my back yard.
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,098,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible