Perfect by Rachel Joyce

Perfect

by Rachel Joyce

What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both quirky then-and-now stories

English (59)  French (1)  All languages (60)
Another good read from Rachel Joyce. I enjoyed her first novel, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye, and Perfect has a similar pattern of writing. There is a twist at the end.

You read the story and get invested in the characters, seeing things from several very different points of view. Then just near the end key points of information are revealed and everything falls into place. Reading about the best friends, Byron and James, and Byron’s mother Diana who is accurately described as a “poem” you think you know where our characters will end up. Again, just as Joyce did in her first novel, there are twists and you’ll have surprises.

The year is 1972. James Lowe and Byron Hemmings are best friends. They are both intelligent boys attending a prestigious school, their middle to upper class lives plodding along without incident. James is the more science minded of the two boys; he tells Byron about a story he’d read in the paper about the atomic clock not being in sync with the Earth’s rotation. Scientists decided to move the atomic clock up 2 seconds and correct the discrepancy. Byron gets in a quiet panic about this messing about with time and fears life as they know it will be altered in a way with horrific consequences.

One morning on the way to school he thinks he sees his watch hands move backward. He shoves his watch into his mother’s face and she is momentarily distracted, hitting a young girl riding a tricycle. Diana doesn’t see the girl or know about the accident. Byron tells her to continue driving and panics that his mother will be charged. He keeps all this to himself and internalizes his feelings until it builds up and he confides the scene to James. When Byron eventually let it all slip to his mother, Diana, it changes her life. She stops doing everything. There are no hot meals, no buttons sew on clothing, the garden is left to go wild and she is in a depression.

To make amends for the accident and running off, she contacts the parents of the little girl and tries to set things right. Interspersed with this story line are chapters featuring a man named Jim. He suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder and is trying to make a life outside of the institution where he had spent the last 38+ years. You are left to wonder through 3/4ths of the book if Jim is in fact James Lowe. I won’t give a spoiler because the way this weaves together in the last two chapters ties up all the loose ends.

If you liked the British prose of Rachel Joyce with her Harold Frye book, you will most likely enjoy this story as well.

Not many food scenes but here are a few items mentioned:

Mushroom vol-au-vent was served at a party hosted by Byron’s parents. His father, Seymour, overhears a guest whispering “New money” to a friend just as he is about to bite into a Mushroom vol-au-vent. It ruined his appetite to know he wasn’t accepted by this elite society.

A benefit concert where the ladies brought Tupperware boxes of salad and cakes. There was coleslaw, Russian salad, deviled kidneys, cheese straws, stuffed grapes, olive, mushrooms and prunes. The food was unpacked at the garden table.

Also mentioned were tomato soup, a prawn cocktail and Turkey supreme.

I made a mushroom vol-au-vent as an appetizer. Recipe may be found at Squirrel Head Manor. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Apr 28, 2015 |
Such a brilliant, quirky book, but then any book that references the Eurovision Song Contest on the very first page is OK with me. It has the faintest suggestion of the supernatural about it: the sense that this is the real world but somehow tilted about its axis. There was some superb detail - the sort of thing that plot-wise was unimportant and yet was everything to the book's tone. Byron's French-speak with his schoolfriend, and his failure to draw someone's face accurately, resulting in him having to draw whiskers on it and pretend he observed a stray cat. The beautiful descriptions of the moorland setting, and the comedy characters Paula and Darren. There is a twist that some may guess - I didn't - and the welcome setting of the 1970s which lent it a pleasant sense of nostalgia. I will definitely seek out this author's other work. ( )
  jayne_charles | Apr 20, 2015 |
Unfortunately, I did not finish this book. I very much enjoyed 'Harold Fry' but just could not get into this book. After 160 pages I still did not feel connected, and with over 200 pages to go decided not to continue. It seemed to just wander along without picking up any pace. If there was to be a big reveal at the end connecting Byron, his mother, James and Jim etc, I had lost interest in finding out what it was.
  PIER50 | Sep 6, 2014 |
Two very bright childhood friends are fascinated by time, and when Byron learns that two seconds are going to disappear to even out the year, he fixates on what will happen to those seconds. At the same time, his mother causes an accident while he is in the car, but he is the only one who sees what happens, leading to serious repercussions in his family. Chapters about Byron as a boy are interspersed with the story of Jim, more than 40 years later. He has been in and out of a psychiatric hospital over the years, and now that it is closed he is forced to try to survive in the world in spite of his obsessive compulsion disorder and social anxiety. By the second third of the book, it seemed belabored to me, and it was all too easy to skip sections, although I did care enough to find out what happened in the end. ( )
  sleahey | Jul 26, 2014 |
I found this readable but disagree with many of the glowing reviews here.
The two parallel stories became distracting for me. I felt we were being asked to work out how they connected to each other but that, ultimately, it wasn't that interesting a connection.
One for the beach. ( )
  lizchris | Jun 24, 2014 |
Only when the clock stops does time come to life.
—William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
For my mother and my son, Jo (without an e)
In 1972, two seconds were added to time.

In 1972, two seconds were added to time. It was in order to balance clock time with the movement of the earth. Byron Hemming knew this because James Lowe had told him and James was the cleverest boy at school. But how could time change? The steady movement of hands around a clock was as certain as their golden futures. Then Byron's mother, late for the school run, makes a devastating mistake. Byron's perfect world is shattered. Were those two extra seconds to blame? Can what follows ever be set right?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:16:41 -0400)

In the aftermath of a life-shattering accident in the English countryside in 1972, twelve-year-old Byron Hemming struggles with events that his mother does not seem to remember and embarks on a journey to discover what really did or did not happen.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Perfect by Rachel Joyce was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible