Perfect by Rachel Joyce

Perfect

by Rachel Joyce

3195234,767 (3.84)20
Recently added bychive, tennwisc, hego161, PIER50, Janet_Corcoran, private library, ariterp, jags66, dreamydress48

I found this readable but disagree with many of the glowing reviews here.
The two parallel stories became distracting for me. I felt we were being asked to work out how they connected to each other but that, ultimately, it wasn't that interesting a connection.
One for the beach. ( )
  lizchris | Jun 24, 2014 |
After becoming a fan of Joyce's work through her first novel, I eagerly anticipated the chance to read her second. It was quickly clear that in this book, the author is telling a very different story. In Harold Fry, the reader is given a sense almost from the beginning that THIS story, no matter its twists and turns, will end up okay. Perfect starts with a very different tone - the reader knows right away that this is not going to be a happily-ever-after.

It is a book about brief moments - about tiny, seemingly insignificant events, which alter the course of the world for one young boy during one long summer. Joyce unfolds her story slowly, with chapters alternating between Byron, the young boy, and Jim, a troubled adult man who remembers that summer as well. These alternating viewpoints can at times make the narrative seem a bit stiff, but as the novel progresses it becomes clear why each is critical to the ultimate resolution.

"It is indeed a small thing, that Eileen prefers frost to snow, but it is in these, he realizes, these smallnesses, that make up the big things. Besides, the big things in life do not present themselves as such. They come in the quiet, ordinary moments - a phone call, a letter - they come when we are not looking, without clues, without warning, and that is why they floor us. And it can take a lifetime, a life of many years, to accept the incongruity of things; that a small moment can sit side by side with a big one, and become part of the same." (p. 270)

Joyce tackles a myriad of big topics - class and society, guilt and innocence, mental illness, love and sacrifice - and weaves a tale that is intimate and personal. Readers can't help but feel sympathy for Byron, his mother, and Jim, as each character is forced to deal with events that are clearly more than they can handle. That the tragedy near the end, which almost feels inevitable, does not leave the novel with a sense of despair is a tribute to the author's skill.

This is an excellent book, and while some fans of Joyce's work may be expecting something different, I believe this novel is ultimately just as powerful as her first. This author has found a place on my "must-read" list. Recommended.

(I recieved a review copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.) ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Jun 20, 2014 |
another book by the author of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye ( )
  wcbookclub | May 27, 2014 |
Byron Hemmings and James Lowe are great friends. Life goes along nicely until one day, when an accident happens that changes everything. The chapters alternate between 1972 and now, so we watch as consequence leads to consequence, and wonder how the current state got to be that way. Well-written, and once it gets started, it's hard to put down. Highly recommended! ( )
  tloeffler | May 25, 2014 |
Rachel Joyce has been on my radar for a while now. I remember the first time I saw the cover of her first book, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - I was completely smitten with it. In fact, I fell in love with it so much that I have yet to pick up the book for fear that it won't live up to the cover. But then, I picked up Perfect, excited to see it offered by NetGalley, and I was immediately sucked into the story. The premise: two boys in 1972 and a problem with time, appealed to me and I couldn't wait to find out what exactly the big mystery was.story of the story as well as the modern day problems of Jim. I sympathized with the boys and wondered just when the mystery surrounding James would be completely revealed. I was, frankly, obsessed. I stayed up late to find out just what would happen and I will say that it was totally worth the reveal.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on April 16, 2014. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Apr 13, 2014 |

In 1972, two seconds were added to time. It was in order to balance clock time with the movement of the earth. Byron Hemming knew this because James Lowe had told him and James was the cleverest boy at school. But how could time change? The steady movement of hands around a clock was as certain as their golden futures. Then Byron's mother, late for the school run, makes a devastating mistake. Byron's perfect world is shattered. Were those two extra seconds to blame? Can what follows ever be set right?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:16:41 -0400)

In the aftermath of a life-shattering accident in the English countryside in 1972, twelve-year-old Byron Hemming struggles with events that his mother does not seem to remember and embarks on a journey to discover what really did or did not happen.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Perfect by Rachel Joyce was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible