Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

Dreams of Gods & Monsters

by Laini Taylor

Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (3)

goodbye Karou, Akiva, Zuzana (and all the others)...it was an incredible journey

My 2 biggest qualms with the book:

1.) I'm so used to reading one particular character's POV that I was a little overwhelmed with all the storylines happening in this book.

2.) The book was so long. I didn't feel like I was ever going to finish.

What I loved:

1.) The biggest surprise for me was how much I loved Liraz and Ziri
2.) Zuzana...my love for her grew every time I read one of the books in this series. She is, hands down, one of the best literary best friends I've ever come across in a book.

3.) There were several "WHAT IS HAPPENING????" moments, especially towards the end. Never a shortage of exciting, edge-of-your seat moments.

4.) And just at the end when you thought everything was finally falling into place, the rug gets ripped out from under you. BUT we did get to leave on a little bit of a hopeful note ;-) ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
War is on the horizon for not only Eretz but the human world, too and Karou and Akiva are still hoping for their dream. The dream of peace between seraphim and chimaera. The final book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy.

I love this book so much, a perfect ending to the trilogy. Karou and Akiva bring together two enemy races to fight against the Emperor, Jael. All the while, Jael is trying to convince humans he's an angel from their religion and obtain weapons of mass destruction.

New characters are introduced and we learn more about the original characters. Karou is still amazing. But my love for Liraz has surpassed everything, especially since I didn't think that I could ever love Liraz. The writing is still beautiful and the ending tied the story up nicely. It was not a perfect ending with everything explained with a nice bow on top. There is still some things to take care of and something to prevent, but all questions are answered.

I love this book for how well is illustrate's the coming days of war, along with the difficulty of uniting two warring races. Karou and Akiva's story is one that is going to continue on, as they learn how to live in this new world they created. The world they thought of years ago in the requiem grove could be their new reality. ( )
  winterdragon | Jan 4, 2019 |
this book is my least favorite of the series. much of the first half felt unnecessary to me, and in the last portion, it felt like The story was changing direction without really having enough room to accomplish that change. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
My experience with most YA trilogies is that the first book is brilliant, the second barely manages to advance the story and the third is usually weak. DOSAB pretty much follows this trend as well, though I thought the conclusion was stronger than other series’.

Now that the rebellion has been crushed, the new Seraph Emperor Jael sets his sights on a new target: the Stelians, a sect of Seraphs that separated from the Empire millennia ago. He wants nothing less than dominion over everything. To that end, Jael has taken some of his forces to Earth, at the urging of Razgut, to acquire devastating weapons from humanity. In the meantime, Karou and Akiva have overcome massive hostility and suspicion to bring the remaining Chimaera and Misbegotten together into an “army” to hopefully challenge Jael.

Where the book falters is with the Stelians. Rather than just being part of the revelation about Akiva’s mother, and his powers, they also become a massive set-up for what I expect will be another trilogy. There is a far greater danger to Eretz and Earth than the endless warmongering of the Seraphs! A LOT of time is spent away from the protagonists in order to prepare the way. The book alternates with the Stelians, Jael, Akiva and Karou, and new character Eliza from Earth, who is (of course) more than she seems. I put the book down about a third of the way through and didn’t come back to it for over a week because I just didn’t care about Eliza, who was keeping me away from characters I did care about. It's not that all this new material isn’t interesting; it’s actually very engaging and I would love to see more books devoted to it. I wanted to know about Razgut, and Akiva’s heritage. And having Earth become so important was wonderful since it also meant more Mik and Zuse. But, too much time on set-up meant too little time on providing closure to the story built over the last two books (and shoving the duos’ love story into the epilogue was short thrift).

Nevertheless, once I passed the halfway mark the book picked up dramatically. It took me three weeks to read the first half, but only one night to finish it. I loved how the Misbegotten evolved, and the character development for Liraz was fantastic; Jael’s machinations on Earth (posing as heavenly angels) was entertaining and it was great to finally see Akiva and Karou overcome their grief and anger in a united front. Plus, it was refreshing to have a conclusion that was messy, without a patronizing happily ever after for every single character.

Though it was bogged down by the Stelian set-up, I really enjoyed this conclusion and will happily read more books set in this world. ( )
  jshillingford | Nov 8, 2018 |
The war between angles and chimaera continues in Dreams of Gods and Monsters, the final book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. Taylor took the final book in such a strange direction. It's like the author had so many ideas that she tried to shove everything in and it just didn't quite work for me. There are some truly wonderful moments with the characters that I've come to care about but those parts end up bogged down by all the extras. Clocking in at just over 600 pages I feel like I did not get near enough page time with our leads.

The story starts a few weeks before where book two ends. Taylor takes a good 100 pages to fill in details leading up to the epilogue from the previous book. While it was interesting, I felt it slowed the pacing of the story down since I already knew where everything was headed and I was just fine with where book two ended. I kept hoping the real story would just get started already.

A new character is introduced and a new faction of angels is given a major role in how the story ends. Combined they take up a lot of the page time. I felt they kind of came out of no where for having such an important role to play. Their whole story line could easily have been left out with minimal impact to resolution to the plot we've been following in the two previous books. This would have easily saved another 100 pages and helped greatly with the pacing. The whole thing felt more like a set up for another book than truly part of Karou and Akiva's dream of peace. I think this whole story thread would have worked a lot better had it been introduced in the first book and woven throughout the story as a whole.

The whole resolution to the war was fairly simplistic and happened with 150 pages left of the story to go. This felt very anticlimactic and a wasted opportunity. Jael had been set up as a great villain and all that prep felt like it was wasn't used as well as it could've been. I could have lived with this if if the remaining pages had been used as a huge epilogue to show the recovering of souls at Loramindi that was constantly talked about, the resurrections of their families and the start of a new nation. While there is some of this, the majority of the remaining story is given over to a whole new threat that the Stelians reveal and blame Akiva for. Then basically say along the lines of "Cool, we're allies now so we can fight the war against darkness another day. The end." Given that ending, I don't doubt at all that Taylor will be writing more stories in Eretz in the future.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of this review, there are some truly great things in the story. I loved Zuzana, Mik and Liraz. It was great to see Ziri get his happy ending. I also thought that the solution Zuze and Mik came up with for Eliza was perfect. Karou and Akiva's romance was in turns annoying and sweet. I think they ended up in a good place. I've read plenty of reviews that mention the book's flaws but the reviewers didn't mind them as much as I did so your mileage may vary. ( )
  Narilka | Sep 27, 2018 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jim, for the happy middle
Nerve thrum and screaming blood, wild and churning and chasing and devouring and terrible and terrible and terrible --

When a brutal angel army trespasses into the human world, Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat -- and against larger dangers that loom on the horizon in this thrilling conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,408,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible