Murder in Thrall by Anne Cleeland

Nice start for what should be an interesting series. DC Doyle is assigned to Lord Acton's team at New Scotland Yard. Her perceptions of truths vs lies are sufficiently acute to make her a real asset during interviews. Early days on the team and investigating a seemingly ordinary killing at a racetrack, Lord Acton poses a rather unique question for her to ponder.

Deaths multiply with no seeming connection and get even closer to The Yard when one of the forensic team is murdered leaving her office.
Interesting protagonists and a good storyline are the strength of this book. I am looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  jamespurcell | Dec 1, 2018 |
It was an interesting mystery and I liked Kathleen Doyle, however Lord Acton is a stalkerish creep. I honestly didn't get the romance of it. Quite apart from the disparity in class and wealth, and yes this shouldn't matter but when she's Irish, living from paycheque to paycheque and a rookie and he's an English Lord with a lot more seniority and is quite wealthy. He follows her and basically doesn't take no for an answer. I didn't find it romantic, I found it troubling to be honest and while I might read more in the series I hope the author addresses the problematic issues as the series goes on.

This is fairly classic abuser behaviour and I could see other people having problems with it, I didn't really see a build of romance but our views of the story are coloured by the voices telling it.

Overall it was quite readable and while I had problems I did finish the book quite quickly ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 11, 2018 |
First-year Detective Kathleen Doyle is a plucky Irish redhead. Chief Inspector Michael Acton is a British lord turned cop. He's tall, handsome and enigmatic... to a fault. Acton selects Doyle out of the newbie squad to partner with him on a series of investigations because she always knows when someone is lying -- a trait that comes in handy when interviewing suspects and witnesses. Acton and Doyle are sent to investigate the murder of a trainer at a racetrack. Soon, new killings related to the first start unfolding, dragging the two into ever more perilous situations. But the real danger is the unlikely attachment that develops between the ultra reserved aristocratic Chief Inspector and his plucky working class sidekick... a relationship that will raise plenty of eyebrows -- and hackles -- among their colleagues at the Yard.
This is the first book in the Scotland Yard series. Most of this book is about Doyle and Acton's relationship so the mystery seems to take a backseat. Hopefully, the first book is where the author is introducing the characters and the rest of the series will concentrate mostly on the plot of the mysteries. I did, however, found the characters a bit strange. One thing that bothers me about the book is the fact that Acton is obsessed with stalking Doyle in the beginning of the book and Doyle is so naive. I own the 2nd book and will read that one in order to see if the plots and characters progress in the right direction. ( )
  EadieB | Mar 18, 2018 |
Do you know how sometimes you just don´t feel it?
Well, I didn´t.
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
I've wanted to read this book since I met the author at Left Coast Crime in 2016. Murder in Thrall sounded like the perfect read for me, and the rave reviews I heard from other readers only increased my interest. I'm sure that you've all heard it said that no two people ever read the same book. That's because we each have our own life experiences we bring with us each and every time we open a book. Well, my life experiences were not well suited to this book. Not at all.

Murder in Thrall is told from Doyle's point of view, and she's an interesting blend of intelligence, intuition, and naïveté. This leaves DCI Michael Sinclair very much in the shadows... or at least I thought in the beginning that it did. In addition, the story isn't told in a linear fashion which may be confusing for some people. But I didn't get very far into the book at all before I realized that linear storytelling was the very least of my problems. Speaking of problems, I have one here: how to talk about what bothered me so much about this book without using spoilers. It's going to be extremely difficult.

For one thing, I am a reader who doesn't care to read romances. Murder in Thrall is 85% romance and 15% mystery. That percentage just does not work for me. The characters' libidos need to take a definite backseat to the mystery. That does not happen here.

Secondly, each chapter begins with what I thought was a glimpse into the killer's mind. It's a technique that's been used in several mysteries that I've read. However, those chapter headings were not from the mind of the killer, and when I realized the real speaker, I was profoundly shocked.

If you like a book that's more romance than mystery, Murder in Thrall will be your cup of tea. If heavy overtones of stalking don't bother you, I do think you will enjoy this book. Having been the victim of a stalker, I just cannot recommend this book. Sometime in the future, I will read the next book in this series; it's got so many passionate fans that I just have to give it one more try. I have to let this book dim in my memory first. ( )
1 vote cathyskye | Jun 19, 2017 |

First-year Detective Kathleen Doyle is a plucky Irish redhead. Chief Inspector Michael Acton is a British lord turned cop. He's tall, handsome and enigmatic...to a fault. Acton selects Doyle out of the newbie squad to partner with him on a series of investigations because she always knows when someone is lying - a trait that comes in handy when interviewing suspects and witnesses. Acton and Doyle are sent to investigate the murder of a trainer at a racetrack. Soon, new killings related to the first start unfolding, dragging the two into ever more perilous situations. But the real danger is the unlikely attachment that develops between the ultra reserved aristocratic Chief Inspector and his plucky working class sidekick...a relationship that will raise plenty of eyebrows-and hackles-among their colleagues at the Yard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

From Anne Cleeland comes the first in a captivating new mystery series, following the perilous exploits of two Scotland Yard detectives as they track down London's most elusive killer. . . First-year detective Kathleen Doyle and Chief Inspector Michael Sinclair, Lord Acton, are a most unlikely pair. An Irish redhead of humble beginnings and modest means, Doyle is the antithesis of Acton, the British lord who has established himself as a brilliant but enigmatic figure with a knack for solving London's most high profile homicides. But Acton senses something exceptional beneath Doyle's awkward naivet and taps her to help him with his investigations. And her spot-on intuition is just what he needs to solve a chilling string of murders. . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible