Trigger Happy: The Inner Life of Videogames…

Trigger Happy: The Inner Life of Videogames (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Steven Poole

Member:robertc64
Title:Trigger Happy: The Inner Life of Videogames
Authors:Steven Poole
Info:Fourth Estate (2001), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:non-fiction, historical, computing, gaming

Trigger Happy: Videogames and the Entertainment Revolution by Steven Poole (2000)

Trigger Happy's Limit mechanic makes for an interesting conceit in providing a unified core. Whether fighting with guns, pulling political strings, or intimidating with cutting words, zero Limit will leave you in a dark and very bad place. Solid writing with an excellent extended back section of sample tasks, archetypes, play example, plus three adventures. Worth trying for bad ass action gaming. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
I enjoy videogames, but I much prefer reading about them to playing them myself - I'm just not much good at them. Steven Poole, a regular contributor to Edge magazine in the UK, treats videogame culture seriously - as it deserves to be treated - and looks at the ways in which it affects and is affected by popular culture. A very interesting collection of essays on the subject. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | May 26, 2010 |
Man is the plaything of the gods, and that is the best of him; and so we should play the noblest games.

Plato
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.

T. S. Eliot
Aha!

Lara Croft

Examines the history and phenomenal success of video games and argues that the popular games are on the way to becoming a legitimate art form, much in the same way movies did a century earlier.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible