The Scar by China Mieville

The Scar (original 2002; edition 2004)

by China Mieville

Member:fwph
Title:The Scar
Authors:China Mieville
Info:Del Rey (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

The Scar by China Miéville (2002)

Recently added byFarfeh, ericsuarez, private library, AnthonyDonnelly, LitaVore, Mrs_McGreevy, jimpike69, dsjstc, mgd014
    City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett (davisfamily)
    davisfamily: A mystery within a unique setting. Interesting mix of Religion and Politics.
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the depiction of the city.
    Scar Lover by Harry Crews (bertilak)

English (101)  French (2)  English (103)
The world of Bas-Lag grows weirder and richer in this second novel. Events occurring after those of the first novel but only very loosely connected. ( )
  kale.dyer | Nov 1, 2016 |
These might not be the most coherent thoughts I've written.
I am exhausted. I wasn't allowed to choose one side and stick to it. I kept switching. And I loved it.

The Scar is more adventure than Perdido Street Station and not just because most of it happens on a floating pirate city. There are mysteries, lies and betrayals, spies, monsters, magic, naval battles and so on. It's not even a spoiler; after you read the description of the book, you expect nothing less.

Bellis Coldwine, one of the protagonists, is first mentioned in the first book as Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin's previous lover, who left him because she got bored of his 'rumbustiousness'. Can't say I blame her. They couldn't be more different. I didn't like Bellis at all. When she wasn't angry at people, the world, the situation, she was mopping around Armada.
The way she is introduced is completely opposite of garuda Yagharek: when you meet the garuda, you meet the present Yagharek and make your own mind about him before you find out anything about his crime. You get to see a side of him that you'd probably ignore otherwise. I found Bellis irritating right away. She is a really unpleasant person.

It tells a lot about the writing and the story when a character this unlikeable hasn't managed to ruin anything for me. Further more, her character, such as it is, is a very important part of the plot. If she had been just a bit more passionate, she would have been one of the strongest female characters I've read.

Bellis Coldwine is an unavoidable linchpin for the main story and someone who pushes the events forward, but she herself isn't very distinguishable.

The consequences of Isaac's actions in Perdido Street Station can be seen here, albeit indirectly and miles away from New Crobuzon. As someone Isaac knew, Bellis was forced to flee the city. She lied her way on a ship headed for a new colony. The ship also transported a lot of prisoners, most of them Remade.
Armada assimilated them most. I can't blame the Remade for wanting to make Armada their home.The Remade are paid for the work they do.
Everyone is equal on Armada even though some are a bit more equal than others.
Armada by Franco Brambilla
Link to more artwork and one of the reasons why I read this longer.

There are so many fascinating characters and beings here that a whole review could be written only about them. Miéville can also make us feel sorry for the monsters - anophelii female trying to talk to the man and being shot because they were afraid she was hungry is understandable, terrifying and heartbreaking at the same time.

Armada consists of different sections with different rulers. The most intriguing character (I bet I am not the only one) in the book does not get any explanation. Uther Doul tells Bellis part of his story, but he still manages to stay mysterious.

Even after reading the book, my feelings towards Armada are ambiguous. I can't seem to make up my mind. I see the wrongs of it, but I can't forget the Remade and a lot of other things. One thing is certain, the first impression of Armada is definitely not the right one.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
These might not be the most coherent thoughts I've written.

Everyone is equal on Armada even though some are a bit more equal than others.
Armada by Franco Brambilla
Link to more artwork and one of the reasons why I read this longer.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
This was a slow read for me, and I didn't find it as compelling as some of China Miéville's other works. It dragged on a lot through the middle. And I became impatient with the protagonist's disdain for everyone and everything else. I liked Perdido Street Station a lot, so I'm disappointed that this one wasn't as much to my tastes. ( )
  lavaturtle | Mar 28, 2016 |
The Scar by China Miéville is set in the alternate world of Bas-Lag and is the second book in the New Crobuzon Series following Perdido Street Station. In The Scar linguist Bellis Coldwine is fleeing the city of New Crobuzon by signing up to serve on a ship heading for the colony of Nova Esperium. On her journey, pirates capture the ship, and everyone onboard is taken to the Armada, a floating city composed of captured ships that is ruled by the Lovers, a twisted sadomasochistic couple.

The Lovers have a mysterious plan they want to set into motion while at the same time others have secret agendas, plans, and schemes of their own. Exactly who can be trusted and is anyone telling the truth? As The Scar progresses, numerous revelations and surprises unfold. The plot is riveting. I could hardly wait to read what would happen next, especially since I knew the outcomes would generally not be predictable.

As expected, Miéville's writing is incredibly creative. His use of words and descriptions is astonishing. The setting, while in Bas-Lag, expands on the world and the mythology originally set forth in Perdido Street Station. It is inclusive and inventive, even while Miéville has tighter control of this story. The Scar follows a more linear pace than Perdido Street Station, which is great because of all the surprises and plot twists in The Scar.With the creation of a totally new world inhabited with unique characters, and unpredictable plot-lines China Miéville has proved without a doubt that's he is one great writer.

Admittedly, Bellis is not a sympathetic character, but she's not supposed to be emotionally accessible. She is living a solitary life and keeps tight control of her emotions. As a newly captured member of the Armada, she knows very little about the city and it's inhabitants. Miéville wisely keeps her true to her character and the personality he created all the way through the novel. Bellis is literally swept along by events that are totally out of her control and beyond her immediate understanding. And I like this very much because it seemed so true to life. All the other supporting characters are equally well developed and interesting.

As for the Scar, the Scar itself is not only a real place, but it also manifests itself in numerous other ways, as a mark left after cutting, as damage done, emotionally or physically. Even when wounds heal, they always leave some mark. Nothing can be as it once was - there is always a change. Scars are the price of change.

Very Highly Recommended; http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |

Miéville, Chinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lynch, DamianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mège, NathalieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villa, ElisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, AshleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet the memory would not set into the setting sun, that green and frozen glance to the wide blue sea where broken hearts are wrecked out of their wounds. A blind sky bleached white the intellect of human bone, skinning the emotions from the fracture to reveal the grief underneath. And the mirror reveals me, a naked and vulnerable fact. --Dambudzo Marechera, Black Sunlight
To Claudia, my mother.
A mile below the lowest cloud, rock breaches water and the sea begins.
I am the Brucolac, and your sword won't save you. You think you can face me?

New Weird pirate yarn:
Floating collectivist state/
Sea-beast chariot!
(Longshanks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345460014, Mass Market Paperback)

In the third book in an astounding, genre-breaking run, China Miéville expands the horizon beyond the boundaries of New Crobuzon, setting sail on the high seas of his ever-growing world of Bas Lag.

The Scar begins with Miéville's frantic heroine, Bellis Coldwine, fleeing her beloved New Crobuzon in the peripheral wake of events relayed in Perdidio Street Station. But her voyage to the colony of Nova Esperium is cut short when she is shanghaied and stranded on Armada, a legendary floating pirate city. Bellis becomes the reader's unbelieving eyes as she reluctantly learns to live on the gargantuan flotilla of stolen ships populated by a rabble of pirates, mercenaries, and press-ganged refugees. Meanwhile, Armada and Bellis's future is skippered by the "Lovers," an enigmatic couple whose mirror-image scarring belies the twisted depth of their passion. To give up any more of Miéville’s masterful plot here would only ruin the voyage through dangerous straits, political uprisings, watery nightmares, mutinous revenge, monstrous power plays, and grand aspirations.

Miéville's skill in articulating brilliantly macabre and involving descriptions is paralleled only by his ability to set up world-moving plot twists that continually blow away the reader's expectations. Man-made mutations, amphibious aliens, transdimensional beings, human mosquitoes, and even vampires are merely neighbors, coworkers, friends, and enemies coexisting in the dizzying tapestry of diversity that is Armada. The Scar proves Miéville has the muscle and talent to become a defining force as he effortlessly transcends the usual clichés of the genre. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:27 -0400)

A group of prisoners and slaves, their bodies remade into grotesque biological oddities, find themselves on the Armada, a floating city whose bizarre leaders harbor a sinister agenda.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible