Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things: Mister…

Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things: Mister Max 1

by Cynthia Voigt

11019109,733 (3.7)8
    The Flight of the Phoenix by R. L. LaFevers (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are series about resourceful boys solving mysteries (or puzzles) in exotic and/or historical settings

Thanks to netgalley.com and Random House Children's for allowing me access to this title.

I have always loved Cynthia Voight ever since I read the Tillman Cycle when I was young. Her wonderful writing and storytelling continues here.

I loved the world building and the characters were fantastic. Overall, I thought this was a great book. My only issue was that I didn't see a 12 year-old being able to pull of the character changes that Max does. There are few boys his age that would be able to look older at all, let alone as middle-aged men. Perhaps 14 would have fit better.

A great read I will definitely recommend for those who love a good mystery in a historical setting. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The premise given for The Book of Lost Things sounded so promising I couldn’t resist swooping up this middle grade title. As expected with a number of MG books I had to suspend belief / disbelief and just roll with things no matter how silly I felt things were​ getting. In this respect, I definitely believe this one a title for children, and not one that would work well as a cross over. At least not for me personally. When I read middle grade fiction I approach it trying to put myself into a preteen mindset of – will my nephews enjoy this? Will I enjoy reading this with my child? In this case I would say kids would likely enjoy this, but an adult would be less likely to.

Unfortunately, The Book of Lost Things falls into the very small realm of books I can’t bring myself to continue. We start off with Max’s parents getting kidnapped and he is determined to save them. But he gets so completely sidetracked constantly that it makes me wonder what was really the main point. Finally I decided it just wasn’t for me because I found myself not caring.​

But here are a few people that I know either loved or seriously enjoyed the book. So you don’t have to take my word for it.
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
I'm assuming this is a middle grade reader, and the cover (this was an advance reading copy) says that it's the first of a trilogy. Max is the son of theatrical parents in London at some time period.... earlier than now. (I'm not very good at identifying specific historical time periods unless there's a major indicator, such as WWII, I'm afraid.) His parents receive an offer to travel to India to found a theater company for a member of royalty there, but they disappear from the docks and Max and his librarian grandmother discover that the Indian ruler does not actually exist. Max must try to discover what happened to his parents and find a way to make a living while they're gone. He ends up as a detective of sorts, a finder of lost things and a problem-solver.

This book is cute and I'm not sorry I read it, but it didn't blow me away or anything. It didn't have quite as much charm for me as, say, the Theodosia books by R. L. LaFevers, which are a middle-grade cross between Nancy Drew and Indiana Jones. With Max, there were a few too many coincidences, in that many of the problems Max stumbles across end up being highly interconnected in an unrealistic way. But it's fairly clever and well-written, and I enjoyed the way that every character described the color of Max's eyes very specifically, yet completely differently. ( )
  amysisson | Apr 16, 2014 |
Fun, funny and sweet. I would recommend it to middle grade readers. I saw a few of the plot twists coming, but I think that was a flaw of reading it as a grown up rather than a flaw of the book. And I stayed up too late because I wanted to finish it. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
All the world's a stage! - William Shakespeare, As You Like It
For MY Mister Max
William Stirling carried the packet back into the dining room, where his wife and son were seated.

Newbery medalist Cynthia Voigt presents a rollicking mystery in three acts!

Max's parents are missing. They are actors, and thus unpredictable, but sailing away, leaving Max with only a cryptic note, is unusual even for them. Did they intend to leave him behind? Have they been kidnapped?

Until he can figure it out, Max feels it's safer to keep a low profile. Hiding out is no problem for a child of the theater. Max has played many roles, he can be whoever he needs to be to blend in. But finding a job is tricky, no matter what costume he dons.

Ironically, it turns out Max has a talent for finding things. He finds a runaway child, a stray dog, a missing heirloom, a lost love. . . . So is he a finder? A detective? No, it's more. Max finds a way to solve people's problems—he engineers better outcomes for them. He becomes Mister Max, Solutioneer.

Now if only he could find a solution to his own problems . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:49 -0400)

"When Max's parents leave the country without him, he must rely on his wits to get by, and before long he is running his own--rather unusual--business"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible