Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things: Mister…

Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things: Mister Max 1

by Cynthia Voigt

98None122,544 (3.75)8
    The Flight of the Phoenix by R. L. LaFevers (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are series about resourceful boys solving mysteries (or puzzles) in exotic and/or historical settings

Fun, funny and sweet. I would recommend it to middle grade readers. I saw a few of the plot twists coming, but I think that was a flaw of reading it as a grown up rather than a flaw of the book. And I stayed up too late because I wanted to finish it. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
When Max’s parents mysteriously go missing, can Max rise to the challenge or will he crumble under the weight of it all? You will just have to read this fantastic book to find out. To tell you the truth I finished this book some time ago, but have been unable to review it. Not because it was bad in any way; on the contrary, it is so good I was afraid that I would not do justice to another wonderful book by one of my favorite authors of all time. It is funny, as an avid reader, I have read many wonderful books, several of them are in my top ten, but for some reason I have been apprehensive about writing this review. When I was little, I was abused by my stepmother and her son. At age ten I was taken out of my home and placed in the care of my aunt and uncle. I was lost and unsure of myself so I went to the only place I have ever felt fully at home: the library. The librarian saw me sitting alone at a table reading and approached me. She asked what kind of books I like to read. I promptly told her that I read whatever I could get my hands on. She smiled and led me to a section where all of Cynthia Voigt books were kept. I started with Homecoming and worked my way through all the books they had by her. When I finished, I re-read them all. I even got the privilege to give a vote to A Solitary Blue, and Dicey's Song for their reader rewards. I am now 35 years old and I have shared Cynthia Voigt’s work with my children. She is now their favorite author as well.
I recently I got the privilege of reading the pre-review copy of Mister Max And The Book of Lost things through NET Galley. This honor was so overwhelming I will be forever grateful for it. If the author ever reads this review I wanted to tell you that you have not lost the ability to touch my heart. I would recommend this book to everyone and as soon I can I will be adding it to my library.
I received this book as an early review copy for my honest review and I have given it. The opinions expressed herein are my own.
  sallyawolf | Feb 6, 2014 |
All the world's a stage! - William Shakespeare, As You Like It
For MY Mister Max
William Stirling carried the packet back into the dining room, where his wife and son were seated.

Newbery medalist Cynthia Voigt presents a rollicking mystery in three acts!

Max's parents are missing. They are actors, and thus unpredictable, but sailing away, leaving Max with only a cryptic note, is unusual even for them. Did they intend to leave him behind? Have they been kidnapped?

Until he can figure it out, Max feels it's safer to keep a low profile. Hiding out is no problem for a child of the theater. Max has played many roles, he can be whoever he needs to be to blend in. But finding a job is tricky, no matter what costume he dons.

Ironically, it turns out Max has a talent for finding things. He finds a runaway child, a stray dog, a missing heirloom, a lost love. . . . So is he a finder? A detective? No, it's more. Max finds a way to solve people's problems—he engineers better outcomes for them. He becomes Mister Max, Solutioneer.

Now if only he could find a solution to his own problems . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:49 -0400)

"When Max's parents leave the country without him, he must rely on his wits to get by, and before long he is running his own--rather unusual--business"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible