Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Counting by 7s

by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree by Lauren Tarshis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Feeling that they have nothing in common with other students, the likable twelve-year-old girls in these books use their logical, science-focused minds to understand the mysteries of social situations. Emma-Jean has more humor, while Counting by 7s is more complex.… (more)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (BookshelfMonstrosity)

I like children’s books that have a different main character, aka not cookie cutter normal with a “typical” life. It seems like that’s happening more and more these days, but Willow is one of the more interesting characters I’ve encountered lately. Dell was a strange character because he was so unlikable to me, but overall the story was really intriguing and I wanted to know how everything would end. I read this because the 6th graders at school read it. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
I was lucky to receive an ARC of this via a Goodreads giveaway last week. It took a chapter or two before I felt drawn in to the story, but by the time I was done I was convinced that I would have enjoyed having a conversation with Willow Chance.

With the challenge of facing life without the support of immediate family, Willow struggles to find her place in the world around her. Through simple interactions with those who cross her path her heart begins to heal, her world begins to evolve, and the lives of those around her are forever impacted by her presence. ( )
  JayeJ | May 21, 2019 |
Willow Chance is a twelve-year-old genius, obsessed with nature and diagnosing medical conditions, who finds it comforting to count by 7s. It has never been easy for her to connect with anyone other than her adoptive parents, but that hasn’t kept her from leading a quietly happy life...until now. Suddenly Willow’s world is tragically changed when her parents both die in a car crash, leaving her alone in a baffling world. Willow is now challenged to push through her grief.
  dneirick | May 7, 2019 |
Insightful. Inspiring. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
I loved this Book. It is told in the first person, imaginative and witty. Each of the protagonists of the book is a hero in its own right. Once again I was surprised by the innocent purity of the heroine of the story. Great work Holly! ( )
  bookloverreview | Jan 15, 2019 |
For Chuck Sloan & Lisa Gaiser Urick, 2 of the 7 ...
We sit together outside the Fosters Freeze at a sea-green, metal picnic table.
willow chance: A genius shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it.
dell duke: An ignoramus shoots at the wrong thing, and hits it.
mai & quang-ha: A leader gets everyone to shoot in the same direction.
jairo hernandez: A pilgrim is a traveler going to a spiritual place.
pattie nguyen: A leader organizes people whether they know it or not.

Willow Chance's life is turned upside down when her adoptive parents suddenly die... this is the second set of parents she has lost in her life time. When her world gets turned upside down she finds her inner strength and kidness in others.

In the tradition of Out of My Mind, Wonder, and Mockingbird, this is an intensely moving middle grade novel about being an outsider, coping with loss, and discovering the true meaning of family.

Willow Chance is a twelve-year-old genius, obsessed with nature and diagnosing medical conditions, who finds it comforting to count by 7s. It has never been easy for her to connect with anyone other than her adoptive parents, but that hasn’t kept her from leading a quietly happy life . . . until now.

Suddenly Willow’s world is tragically changed when her parents both die in a car crash, leaving her alone in a baffling world. The triumph of this book is that it is not a tragedy. This extraordinarily odd, but extraordinarily endearing, girl manages to push through her grief. Her journey to find a fascinatingly diverse and fully believable surrogate family is a joy and a revelation to read.

“Holly Goldberg Sloan writes about belonging in a way I’ve never quite seen in any other book. This is a gorgeous, funny, and heartwarming novel that I’ll never forget.”—John Corey Whaley, author of Where Things Come Back

"Willow Chance subtly drew me into her head and her life, so much so that I was holding my breath for her by the end. Holly Goldberg Sloan has created distinct characters who will stay with you long after you finish the book."—Sharon Creech, Newbery Award-winning author of Walk Two Moons

"In achingly beautiful prose, Holly Goldberg Sloan has written a delightful tale of transformation that’s a celebration of life in all its wondrous, hilarious and confounding glory. Counting by 7s is a triumph."—Maria Semple, author of Where’d You Go, Bernadette

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:41 -0400)

Twelve-year-old genius and outsider Willow Chance must figure out how to connect with other people and find a surrogate family for herself after her parents are killed in a car accident.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible