The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The Winter Rose (2007)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (2)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.

English (112)  German (4)  French (1)  All languages (117)
I am... going to say that I read this. Because I did. Most of it.

The thing is I started this months ago and at the time had to put it down with about 200 pages left because of life and I just started reading other books. Not that I wasn't enjoying this one, because I absolutely was, but almost six months later, I feel like I'm doing the book injustice trying to just skim the end to be done with it and say I've read it.

I've had plans to reread this trilogy, so I'm hoping that I can rereading this soon and actually read the whole thing. I guess I've kind of figured that it would be pointless for me to start from the begin because I'm a good 500 pages into it and don't have tine for that or skim the ending...because then when I come back to it, I won't fully enjoy it or be surprised by it.

So with that, perhaps I'll read this over my summer. We'll see.

jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Utterly enchanting. I loved the pacing, the story, the characters and this entire book. It's historical fiction without being overly detailed on history. It's romantic without being smarmy. There's even a bit of thriller and adventure thrown in for good measure. In a very busy week, I still made time to read all 700 pages. It's just that good. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
This was a very good book and a nice sequel to the Tea Rose. This was well written with many of the characters entwined in different settings. It was a bit long and could've have been a bit shorter. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
This is the second part of the Rose series. This time India is in the main focus. She gains the right to be trained as a doctor and to be able to practice. Many stones are, of course, placed in the way, as it was not customary for women to learn this profession at the beginning of the twentieth century and to hold their own in this male domain. She encounters Sid, Fiona's brother from the first part. Their love is strong, but may not be somehow. The scenes are England and Kenya.
What I like about this series is that it is always about exceptionally strong women who have to fight their rights at a time when this was not normal. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 27, 2017 |
Although this book is second in a family trilogy, it can be enjoyed as a standalone. Set in early 20th century England and spanning to colonial Africa, this historical romance is stronger than most. The historical detail and multifaceted secondary characters are reminiscent of Diana Gabaldon's beloved Outlander series. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Dec 8, 2016 |

Jennifer Donnellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tanner, JillReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clifford, MillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Felenda, AngelaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hertz, FlorenceTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Immink, WilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Fred Sage and the London he knew.
Frankie Betts could smell a copper a mile away.
Doctor, my eyes cannot see the sky, Is this the prize for having learned how not to cry? -Jackson Browne

When India Selwyn Jones, a young woman from a noble family, graduates from the London School of Medicine for Women in 1900, her professors advise her to set up her practice in London's esteemed Harley Street. Driven and idealistic, India chooses to work in the city's East End instead, serving the desperately poor. In these grim streets, India meets--and saves the life of--London's most notorious gangster, Sid Malone. A hard, wounded man, Malone is the opposite of India's aristocratic fianc‚e, Freddie Lytton, a rising star in the House of Commons. Though Malone represents all she despises, India finds herself unwillingly drawn ever closer to him, intrigued by his hidden, mysterious past.--From publisher's description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jennifer Donnelly's book The Winter Rose was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,739,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible