My Mother's Secret: A Novel Based on a True…

My Mother's Secret: A Novel Based on a True Holocaust Story (2013)

by J. L. Witterick

Years of Horror, Glimpse of Hope: The Diary of a Family in Hiding by Moshe Maltz (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: The true story which "My Mother's Secret" is based on.

English (26)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
listened on audio book. really liked this novel based on true happenings. ( )
  dawnlopez29 | Feb 21, 2018 |
This is the story of the invasion and occupation of Poland by the Germans (and for a time the Russians) in WWII. It is based on the true story of a Polish countrywoman who believed that from childhood you chose how you will respond to a situation, and every time you make a choice to do right it is more embedded in you. When the war came it was simple for her to choose to help her neighbors hide from the German’s; though it could mean death if she was discovered hiding Jews.

After reading about 25% of this book I realized I had read this book before, though I can’t tell you when. The manner of how the story was presented kept me reading; it is a blend of common sense, mixed with empathy for others, and the willingness to stand up for your beliefs. Excellent read. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jan 30, 2018 |
This story, divided into five sections, blends fact with fiction. A woman and her daughter really did hide fifteen Jewish people, as well as a German soldier, in their small home in Poland during the Nazi invasion. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
A poetic novel, My Mother’s Secret, is based on the true story of a Polish-Catholic woman, Franciszka Halamajowa and her teenage daughter, Helena. During WWII, the pair hide two Jewish families and a defecting German soldier in their home in Sokol, Poland for over a year. None of the parties are aware of the others existence. The story is told from four different points of view and is a short, quick read (188 pages) appropriate for tweens to adult. The author was inspired to write the book after seeing the documentary, No. 4 Street of Our Lady.

I easily read this book in only a few sittings and although a story of the Holocaust, I found it to be both sad and uplifting at the same time. At the end of the war of Sokol’s 6,000 Jews only 30 had survived and half did so because of Franciszka’s righteous actions.
- Kathy S. ( )
  cavlibrary | Apr 4, 2016 |
Terri recommended this book about a mother and daughter in Poland during the Holocaust.
The mother hid a family in her basement, a family in the pig sty and a soldier in her attic.
It was so inspiring! It is based on fact and hard to believe that some people have sacrificed so much. ( )
  bettyroche | Mar 7, 2016 |
To remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all.

-Elie Wiesel
Dedicated to Jim Hunter... the bravest man I know, and to those who risked their lives to save others, known as the Righteous among Nations.
When you're a child, you think your parent's are the same as everyone else's and that what happens in your house happens in other homes too.

"A novel based on a true story [in which] a mother and daughter risk their lives to provide shelter to two families and a German soldier--all unbeknownst to each other--in a tiny two-room house in Sokal, Poland, during the Nazi invasion"--Amazon.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

J. L. Witterick's book My Mother's Secret was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible