Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Wildwood Dancing (2006)

by Juliet Marillier

Series: The Other Kingdom (1)

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Another enjoyable retelling of the Dancing Princesses fairy tale.
    Entwined by Heather Dixon (quigui)
    quigui: Both stories are re-tellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses, both equally sweet.
    Silver Birch, Blood Moon by Ellen Datlow (Anonymous user)
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (Herenya)
    The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (Maid_Marian)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (Anonymous user)
    The nightwood by Robin Muller (Rosina07, Rosina07)
    Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (foggidawn)
    The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell (foggidawn)
    The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip (Anonymous user)

4.5 stars

15-year old Jena is the second of five sisters. All five, on nights where there is a full moon, find their way to a portal to the “Other Kingdom”, another world where they are able to dance the night away. Tati is one year older than Jena and falls for one of the “Night People” from the Other Kingdom, but the tales of the Night People are scary, so Jena is worried for her sister. In the regular world, their father is ill, so their cousin Cezar steps in to take over the girls' father's business, despite their father's wish that his perfectly capable daughters take care of things.

This surprised me! I really, really liked this. I loved Gogu, Jena's pet frog! There were fairy tale elements that I hadn't expected, and although I often am not a fantasy fan, I do like fairy tales. I enjoyed this so much and I kept wanting to read. I will definitely be reading the next in the series, and will likely try other books by this author, as well.

I also found the author's note at the end interesting. She talked a little bit about Transylvania (where it was set), mythology and vampires. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Apr 8, 2014 |
Ever since I started watching Once Upon a Time I have been obsessed with fairytales and fairytale retellings. I have been reading a great number of them recently, and I must say that this is the absolute best.

It is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses and The Frog Prince. It takes place in Transylvania, and tells the story of five sisters who visit a magical realm every full moon. When the girls’ father must leave for the winter due to his health, and the oldest daughter falls in love with one of the Night People of the other realm, everything in their lives begin to fall apart.

I am not entirely sure how to review something that I found so breathtaking. [a:Juliet Marillier|8649|Juliet Marillier|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1373081365p2/8649.jpg] writes with such a gorgeous and magical prose. I found myself dreaming of Piscul Dracului, the surrounding forests, and the faerie realm. I cared so much for all the characters, and found myself moved to tears numerous times because of what they were going though. I even felt deeply for the villain of the story, because he was given so much complexity. The underlying theme of femininity made me smile, and the folklore and fantasy were divine.

Like I said, I’m not actually able to review this story. All I can say is that it is a new favorite of mine, and I definitely think that everybody should read it. I can’t wait to read more of Juliet’s books. ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
I really liked some aspects of this book, but others, well, not so much. ( )
  Cailiosa | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is the second of the three books I read that retell Grimm's The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Of the three, this one follows the story the least. Only five sisters, and they aren't princesses, merely the daughters of a rich merchant. This story is woven with the Transylvania myths of Baba Yaga and the Vampires, and told from the viewpoint of the second sister. Combine all this with a villain who is thinks he's right, a magic frog and dark promise made as children, and you have a wonderful story. Of the three, this elicited the most emotion and this is the one I stayed up late to read. I connected easily with Jena, the main character, and with her sisters. They danced every night by choice, their dancing a place of refugee and joy amidst a deepening pool of sorrow in the real world. The love was the best kind - a friendship that became love. It was sweet.
I highly recommend this work, particularly for those who like myths and fables and talking animals. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 27, 2014 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een aangrijpend fantasy-sprookje
To my granddaughter Claire
I've heard it said that girls can't keep secrets.

High in the Transylvanian woods, at the castle Piscul Draculi, live five daughters and their doting father. It's an idyllic life for Jena, the second eldest, who spends her time exploring the mysterious forest with her constant companion, a most unusual frog. But best by far is the castle's hidden portal, known only to the sisters. Every Full Moon, they alone can pass through it into the enchanted world of the Other Kingdom. There they dance through the night with the fey creatures of this magical realm.

But their peace is shattered when Father falls ill and must go to the southern parts to recover, for that is when cousin Cezar arrives. Though he's there to help the girls survive the brutal winter, Jena suspects he has darker motives in store. Meanwhile, Jena's sister has fallen in love with a dangerous creature of the Other Kingdom--an impossible union it's up to Jena to stop.

When Cezar's grip of power begins to tighten, at stake is everything Jena loves: her home, her family, and the Other Kingdom she has come to cherish. To save her world, Jena will be tested in ways she can't imagine--tests of trust, strength, and true love.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:21 -0400)

Five sisters who live with their merchant father in Transylvania use a hidden portal in their home to cross over into a magical world, the Wildwood.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible