Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Wildwood Dancing (2006)

by Juliet Marillier

Other authors: Kinuko Y. Craft (Cover artist)

Series: The Other Kingdom (1)

English (69)  All (1)  All (70)
A re-telling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses story, and a thumpin' good one. Set in the Carpathian Mountains, it has dancing young ladies, fairy folk, Night People, good guys in disguise, bad guys who think they're the good guys, suspense, a healthy dose of romance (of course), and a helpful and adorable sidekick frog. It felt a bit slow to get going, but once it did, I loved it. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 18, 2017 |
This was such a sweet book, and once again from a list of recommended seasonal reads. What really drew me to it was the fact that it's a story about five sisters, and how can I say no to that magical number? Obviously I can't.

This would be a fantastic book for any imaginative young girl. Rich descriptions of scenery, good array of characters, and a good fight against feelings of powerlessness. I thought about me at 11 - 14, and how I would've loved this book beyond all others then. As an older reader it was still engrossing, and I finished it in the span of a day, including staying up in bed reading and convincing myself I would stop after the next chapter was over. It's not just that there's fairies and hyper-romantic love stories in it. I would've loved the darkness of Romania, the dangers and the isolation that permeate it.

On the personal note, as far as sibling-order goes the third sister isn't the most flattering/relatable as far as I'm concerned, but I liked that the sisters all had different relationships to each other based on age or hobbies, and that although they were different they had the important things enough in common that it was believable.

This is one of those that I'm passing on to younger cousins because it's got Micha-Approved Values as well as a rich and engaging story. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Le daría cuatro estrellas, pero hay cosas que no me han convencido. Supongo que dejaré reposar mi opinión durante un par de días. ( )
  Owdormer | Feb 26, 2017 |
This was a sweet story with a wonderful blend of magic, fantasy, forbidden love and suspense. I really like how Marillier can take a child's fairytale and re-tell it to suit an adult audience. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Wildwood dancing is a novel based on the fairy tale "12 Dancing Princesses," with some other fairy tale references/story lines thrown in. On the night of the full moon, Jena and her four sisters are able to open a portal to the other kingdom to dance with the fairies and other creatures found there. However, things begin to go wrong when their father gets sick and has to spend the winter away from the estate. Their uncle and cousin are asked to help the girls out while their father is gone. Meanwhile in the Other Kingdom, some of the Night People have started to attend the gathering and they have taken an interest in the human girls. Jena tries to keep everything together while their father is gone, but things continue to fall apart.

I really enjoyed this fairy tale retelling. While it is obviously fantasy, it was easy to be drawn into the world created by Marillier. The characters were interesting and distinctive and although I am familiar with many common fairy tale plot points, Marillier was still able to surprise me. Although there is another book in this series, this book can be read as a stand alone novel. I will definitely read the next one and am anxious to find my missing copy of the first book in her Sevenwaters series. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, Kinuko Y.Cover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drolsbach, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een aangrijpend fantasy-sprookje
To my granddaughter Claire
I've heard it said that girls can't keep secrets.

High in the Transylvanian woods, at the castle Piscul Draculi, live five daughters and their doting father. It's an idyllic life for Jena, the second eldest, who spends her time exploring the mysterious forest with her constant companion, a most unusual frog. But best by far is the castle's hidden portal, known only to the sisters. Every Full Moon, they alone can pass through it into the enchanted world of the Other Kingdom. There they dance through the night with the fey creatures of this magical realm.

But their peace is shattered when Father falls ill and must go to the southern parts to recover, for that is when cousin Cezar arrives. Though he's there to help the girls survive the brutal winter, Jena suspects he has darker motives in store. Meanwhile, Jena's sister has fallen in love with a dangerous creature of the Other Kingdom--an impossible union it's up to Jena to stop.

When Cezar's grip of power begins to tighten, at stake is everything Jena loves: her home, her family, and the Other Kingdom she has come to cherish. To save her world, Jena will be tested in ways she can't imagine--tests of trust, strength, and true love.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:17 -0400)

Five sisters who live with their merchant father in Transylvania use a hidden portal in their home to cross over into a magical world, the Wildwood.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,259,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible