Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Wildwood Dancing (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Juliet Marillier

Member:stephxsu
Title:Wildwood Dancing
Authors:Juliet Marillier
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR, young adult, fantasy

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (2006)

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Another enjoyable retelling of the Dancing Princesses fairy tale.
    Entwined by Heather Dixon (quigui)
    quigui: Both stories are re-tellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses, both equally sweet.
    Silver Birch, Blood Moon by Ellen Datlow (Anonymous user)
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (Herenya)
    The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (Maid_Marian)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (Anonymous user)
    The nightwood by Robin Muller (Rosina07, Rosina07)
    Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (foggidawn)
    The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell (foggidawn)
    The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip (Anonymous user)

This was a sweet story with a wonderful blend of magic, fantasy, forbidden love and suspense. I really like how Marillier can take a child's fairytale and re-tell it to suit an adult audience. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Wildwood dancing is a novel based on the fairy tale "12 Dancing Princesses," with some other fairy tale references/story lines thrown in. On the night of the full moon, Jena and her four sisters are able to open a portal to the other kingdom to dance with the fairies and other creatures found there. However, things begin to go wrong when their father gets sick and has to spend the winter away from the estate. Their uncle and cousin are asked to help the girls out while their father is gone. Meanwhile in the Other Kingdom, some of the Night People have started to attend the gathering and they have taken an interest in the human girls. Jena tries to keep everything together while their father is gone, but things continue to fall apart.

I really enjoyed this fairy tale retelling. While it is obviously fantasy, it was easy to be drawn into the world created by Marillier. The characters were interesting and distinctive and although I am familiar with many common fairy tale plot points, Marillier was still able to surprise me. Although there is another book in this series, this book can be read as a stand alone novel. I will definitely read the next one and am anxious to find my missing copy of the first book in her Sevenwaters series. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
A beautiful legend that only Juliet Marillier could have weaved so magically. An incredible fable, full of adventure, love and that bit of darkness perfect for grown ups.

"I suppose the secret was not completely ours; Gogu knew. But even if frogs could talk, Gogu would never have told. Ever since I’d found him long ago, crouched all by himself in the forest, dazed and hurt, I had known I could trust him more than anyone else in the world."

"It looked as if it had grown up out of the forest, with an assortment of bits and pieces sprouting from every corner: tiny turrets, long covered walkways, squat round towers, arches, and flagpoles."

"At Full Moon, everything was different, everything was upside down and back to front. Doors opened that were closed on other days, and those whom the human world feared became friends. The Bright Between was a gateway: not a threat, but a promise."

"Our cousin was not alone among the folk of the valley in his attitudes. There were those who believed the Other Kingdom to be a devilish place, full of presences out to destroy humankind. The margin of the wildwood was hedged about with crucifixes; the trees on its rim were thick with protective amulets."

"That’s not really all you’re asking, Jena.” Tati turned her big eyes on me; their expression was cool now. “Anyway, you aren’t asking, are you? You’re telling. I can’t go through the portal if you won’t help open it. What you really want is that I never see Sorrow again. You think the moment I get up and dance with some fellow Aunt Bogdana’s dredged up for me, I’ll forget all about him. Well, I won’t. And I won’t go to your stupid party. You don’t understand.”

"The sun set beyond the colored windows four more times, and inside our chamber the stories went on. Not all were joyful tales; we needed to acknowledge that love was not just kisses, smiles, and fulfillment, but also sacrifice, compromise, and hard work."

AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een aangrijpend fantasy-sprookje
To my granddaughter Claire
I've heard it said that girls can't keep secrets.

High in the Transylvanian woods, at the castle Piscul Draculi, live five daughters and their doting father. It's an idyllic life for Jena, the second eldest, who spends her time exploring the mysterious forest with her constant companion, a most unusual frog. But best by far is the castle's hidden portal, known only to the sisters. Every Full Moon, they alone can pass through it into the enchanted world of the Other Kingdom. There they dance through the night with the fey creatures of this magical realm.

But their peace is shattered when Father falls ill and must go to the southern parts to recover, for that is when cousin Cezar arrives. Though he's there to help the girls survive the brutal winter, Jena suspects he has darker motives in store. Meanwhile, Jena's sister has fallen in love with a dangerous creature of the Other Kingdom--an impossible union it's up to Jena to stop.

When Cezar's grip of power begins to tighten, at stake is everything Jena loves: her home, her family, and the Other Kingdom she has come to cherish. To save her world, Jena will be tested in ways she can't imagine--tests of trust, strength, and true love.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:17 -0400)

Five sisters who live with their merchant father in Transylvania use a hidden portal in their home to cross over into a magical world, the Wildwood.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible