dismiss

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist (1988)

by Paulo Coelho

30,54885157 (3.57)1 / 544
An Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasures found within.… (more)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Love of Seven Dolls by Paul Gallico (Fliss88)
    The Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    The Phenomenon of Man by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (Petroglyph)
    Petroglyph: The Alchemist reads like a fairy tale version of Teilhard de Chardin's much more grandiloquent work. Coelho’s “Soul of the World” is very similar to de Chardin’s noosphere, a collective consciousness that all humans are immersed in and that ultimately resolves into God Omega. All is one, all is Love (even valence bonds at an atomic level).… (more)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    God on a Harley by Joan Brady (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by Fola (nadoosha_373)

English (778)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (15)  French (8)  Swedish (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (2)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  Piratical (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (846)
الحق يقال كنت محتارة بين الثلاث و الأربع نجوم كتقييم للكتاب ده
يمكن فكرة إن كل حاجه واضحة دي مش شجعتني اوي لأني بحب التحدي العقلي في الروايات
بس قررت اديها النجمة الرابعة بسبب النهاية اللي بردوا الحق يقال كادت انها تفطسني من الضحك ،،

جهاد ، يجي منك بردوا =P ( )
  Reem.Amgad | Jun 3, 2020 |
I finally got around to reading this. So many people love it. I just... avoided it. Probably for that reason.

But then as I was reading it, enjoying the lyrical flow and the fact that it really *IS* a fable, I warmed up to it.

You know... the kind of story where that Legendary Treasure hunt is not an actual physical treasure? Self-development? lol

I enjoyed it. It's very uplifting and motivational and underscores the fact that you should always follow your dreams no matter what.

The fact that it was an interesting story, that the novel was never dull or overly preachy (except for the lessons that the fable was strong on,) only helped. :)

It *is* slightly sappy, tho. :)

I mostly just enjoyed the juxtaposition of real alchemy and metaphysical alchemy, the road-trip aspect of the novel, and the simple parable. :)

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I am glad to have read this, but I don't think I'll need to read it again. I wish I had been able to read it when I was in high school; I think I would have gotten a lot more out of it then. But reading it now, I got annoyed by the repetition and the phrasing of some of the concepts. Perhaps that is something in the translation and I might enjoy it more if I was able to read the original. It was a quick read, and an easy read. Reading it reminded me of other spiritual journey books I have read (most notably Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse). Not only do they have a similar tone and message, but I reacted to them in a similar way. Frankly, I found the story in the introduction about the book's journey toward popularity more interesting than the story of Santiago as he went in search of his Personal Legend. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Ugh. The hype surrounding this book had me believing it would be life changing (or at the very least, a good read) but I finished feeling very underwhelmed. Maybe the Portuguese version is much better than the translated version. Perhaps the famous quotes are the best part of this short read. Moving on! ( )
  3argonauta | May 2, 2020 |

Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
The alchemist picked up a book that someone in the caravan had brought. (Prologue, trans Clifford E. Landers)
The boy's name was Santiago.
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
"Always heed the omens", the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations.

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.
Santiago, shepherd,
gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
lures millions into parting
with their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

3 1918

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,718,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible