Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist (original 1988; edition 1993)

by Paulo Coelho (Author)

28,53379556 (3.58)1 / 536
Member:Blondie539
Title:The Alchemist
Authors:Paulo Coelho (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2006), Edition: 1st, 197 pages
Tags:to-read

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    Love of Seven Dolls by Paul Gallico (Fliss88)
    The Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    God on a Harley by Joan Brady (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by Fola (nadoosha_373)

English (728)  Spanish (15)  Dutch (15)  French (8)  Swedish (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  Arabic (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (792)
A great read. Easy to see why the book was so populat. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
While I assume this is often a quick read for many I took my time with it. Several years of time actually. I'm not sure why I had difficulty staying with it, or if I simply came to various points where I needed to sit with what had been said and allow those ideas to digest. This book is a beautiful and inspirational piece and a journey and it took me some time to sit with the messages that came forward to me.

Easy to read with feel good ideas about the dreams we have and what it takes to go after them, including sacrifice, discomfort, and hard work. There is both great magic and everyday ordinariness that are woven in such a delicate way in the words and paragraphs of this book that they become inseparable. This book has a lifetime place on my bookshelf and I look forward to re-reading it in the years to come to find what new messages pop out. ( )
  brittburkard | Feb 4, 2019 |
TBC 11/09; listened to a version read by Jeremy Irons; little book packed with lots of points to ponder. Shepherd boy from Spain goes in search of his treasure, which he believes he will find in the pyramids, when actually it's really what's within him. ( )
  nancynova | Feb 2, 2019 |
An Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasures found within. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 30, 2019 |
Cleanly translated and simply stated with a sincere depth, The Alchemist takes you on a ride from the Andalusian hills to the pyramids of Egypt and makes some compelling, if a little idealistic, arguments about life and the nature of destiny. ( )
  barda90 | Jan 10, 2019 |

MoebiusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Op hun tocht kwam hij in een dorp, waar een vrouw die Martha heette, hem in haar woning ontving. Ze had een zuster, Maria, die gezeten aan de voeten van de Heer luisterde naar zijn woorden. Martha werd in beslag genomen door de drukte van het bedienen, maar ze kwam er een ogenblik bij staan en zei: "Heer, laat het U onverschillig, dat mijn zuster mij alleen laat bedienen? Zeg haar dan dat ze mij moet helpen." De Heer gaf haar ten antwoord: "Martha, Martha, wat maak je je bezorgd en druk over veel dingen. Slechts één ding is nodig. Maria heeft het beste deel gekozen, en het zal haar niet ontnomen worden."

Lucas, 10:38-42
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
The alchemist picked up a book that someone in the caravan had brought. (Prologue, trans Clifford E. Landers)
The boy's name was Santiago.
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
"Always heed the omens", the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations.

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.
Santiago, shepherd,
gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
lures millions into parting
with their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

An Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasures found within.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,444,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible