The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable…

The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following Your Dream (original 1988; edition 2014)

by Paulo Coelho (Author)

31,29686858 (3.57)1 / 545
An Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasures found within.… (more)
Member:brittanymallion
Title:The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following Your Dream
Authors:Paulo Coelho (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2014), Edition: Anniversary, 208 pages
Tags:inspiration

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Love of Seven Dolls by Paul Gallico (Fliss88)
    The Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    The Phenomenon of Man by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (Petroglyph)
    Petroglyph: The Alchemist reads like a fairy tale version of Teilhard de Chardin's much more grandiloquent work. Coelho’s “Soul of the World” is very similar to de Chardin’s noosphere, a collective consciousness that all humans are immersed in and that ultimately resolves into God Omega. All is one, all is Love (even valence bonds at an atomic level).… (more)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    God on a Harley by Joan Brady (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by Fola (nadoosha_373)

English (795)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (15)  French (8)  Swedish (5)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  Arabic (1)  Piratical (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (864)
a lovely fable about finding yourself
  ypellegrino | Oct 17, 2020 |
I read this for my Senior English class in May 2009 and I loved this book. I feel like I probably read ahead, which I did with all the books I liked, or I was expressly told NOT to read ahead so I didn't, either way, this book introduced me to Paulo Coelho and now that I speak Portuguese, I want to read it in the native tongue. I loved this book, my brother loved it more, but the ending ruined it for me. Like I've said in other reviews, maybe now that I am older and wiser I will appreciate the ending more, but in my class it seemed to be hit or miss honestly.

Coelho is phenomenal though, and I follow him everywhere, and love when he writes in Portuguese. This is another I should reread.

(Please note: I am going through all of my read books with an attempt to star and review, at some point, all of these books will have a decent review, I promise.)
  rachelreading | Oct 17, 2020 |
Part 1
Part 2
Epilog ( )
  knoba | Oct 12, 2020 |
this was my all time favorite book for a long time and remains probably in my top five. the symbolism of it and the time in my life that i first read it really had an impact on me, i've read it mutliple times and could read it many more no problem. love it love it love it felt like classic literature in a modern context. ( )
  ncharlt1 | Oct 11, 2020 |
I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy their lessons in parable form, this book is for them. ( )
  Chris.Bulin | Oct 1, 2020 |

Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
The alchemist picked up a book that someone in the caravan had brought. (Prologue, trans Clifford E. Landers)
The boy's name was Santiago.
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
"Always heed the omens", the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations.

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.
Santiago, shepherd,
gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
lures millions into parting
with their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

3 1958

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,698,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible