The alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The alchemist (original 1988; edition 1998)

by Paulo Coelho

23,27763147 (3.59)1 / 437
Member:elsibrian
Title:The alchemist
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:[San Francisco] : HarperSanFrancisco, c1998.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Dios Vuelve En Una Harley (Spanish Edition) by Joan Brandy (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by A. Fol (nadoosha_373)

English (571)  Dutch (15)  Spanish (13)  French (6)  Swedish (4)  German (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (627)
Santiago is a young sheep herder, that thoroughly enjoys his life and profession. He is perfectly happy with his status in life and is only looking to reunite with the beautiful girl he met a year ago. On his way to the girl he meets a King that tells him of a great treasure he is to obtain if he goes on a long journey to the pyramids of Egypt. Through the journey Santiago learns much about life, love and success.

Before I read this book, I heard many opinions about it. Some people loved it and found it to be inspiring, others felt it was too simplistic and pseudo-religious. I enjoyed the simplicity of it. This book is a classic not because of Coelho character development and use of foreshadowing. This book is a classic because it resonates with a deeper part of you. The lessons that Santiago learns are lessons that we all learn or should learn in life. Reading this is a great reminder of those lessons.

I recommend this book for anyone that is about to embark on a journey in their life. Whether it be a literal journey to a different part of the world or a figurative journey to another phase of life this is a great read. It will embolden you to forge ahead and remind you to pay attention to the lessons and omens you will encounter along the way. ( )
  shemsu | Jun 16, 2015 |
This is definitely a story I'll remember for a very long time. It's short and sweet, but full of spirit and power. I left this book at work to read in my rare free time, and it still didn't take very long to do so. Being all about having faith and believing in ourselves, it's a great book to give yourself a little boost if you're needing it. Everything happens for a reason, and we should learn to recognize the signs. We would not have gotten to where we are today if it weren't for everything that happened to us in the past. Don't sacrifice yourself for something immediate. Don't betray yourself. Keep going for your own personal legend. Everyone has one...you just have to know how to recognize it. And when you do, go for it. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
sort of fantastical journey by a young man seeking his life's dreams. Not my cup of tea. ( )
  waltser1 | Jun 10, 2015 |
A simple tale that starts out interesting and eventually becomes something far less than it could've, all the while telling you it's great. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
Not a favorite. I felt like it was a bit too magical and definitely had a double standard between women and men. A lot of the reading group loved it, but I was not impressed. ( )
  KamGeb | May 23, 2015 |

Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
The boy's name was Santiago.
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
'Always heed the omens', the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
'To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Santiago, shepherd,
Gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
Lures thousands into parting
With their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

A fable about undauntingly following one's dreams, listening to one's heart, and reading life's omens features dialogue between a boy and an unnamed being.

4 1941
5 1923

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,959,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible