The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your…

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Paulo Coelho

22,55360356 (3.6)1 / 408
Member:demiurgician
Title:The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (1995), Edition: 61st printing, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Nook, 2012

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    Dios Vuelve En Una Harley (Spanish Edition) by Joan Brandy (ALDRINDSL)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by A. Fol (nadoosha_373)

English (544)  Dutch (15)  Spanish (12)  French (6)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (3)  German (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (597)
This is my favourite book and I have read it several times. Its message that we must look for our purpose in life had made great impact on me and changed the course of my life. This book is not a fiction but contains subtle spiritual messages in it. If you are spiritual, this book is a treasure. ( )
  Awdhesh | Oct 8, 2014 |
A beautiful story, that explained the 'Language of the Soul' perfectly. This book spoke to my soul. ( )
  katelhardman | Oct 1, 2014 |
nope ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I've heard people say this book was so special and changed their lives. But really, I couldn't like it at all.

After I finished listening to this book, I was left with a lot of questions, the most important one: What did I just read? I know there is probably a lot of subtext in this one, but for me it wasn't working. It felt as a boring tale that was too long, even though it's not a big book. I felt no connection with the characters or the story. I wanted to like it, I wanted to see something special in it, but I couldn't. I was disappointed, and have not yet tried to read another book by Paulo Coelho. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |

Alan R. ClarkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MoebiusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
The boy's name was Santiago.
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
'Always heed the omens', the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
'To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Santiago, shepherd,
Gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
Lures thousands into parting
With their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:26 -0400)

A fable about undauntingly following one's dreams, listening to one's heart, and reading life's omens features dialogue between a boy and an unnamed being.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,304,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible