The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your…

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Paulo Coelho

23,37863747 (3.59)1 / 438
Member:demiurgician
Title:The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (1995), Edition: 61st printing, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Nook, 2012

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Dios Vuelve En Una Harley (Spanish Edition) by Joan Brandy (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by A. Fol (nadoosha_373)

English (577)  Dutch (15)  Spanish (13)  French (7)  Swedish (4)  German (3)  Finnish (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (1)  Arabic (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (634)
i don't know, this book led to a lot of eye-rolling and sighs of derision on my part. maybe it has something to do with being an atheist, but i doubt it. it's the type of book that may have struck me at 11, so i suppose i read it 15 years too late. ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
A shepherd learns about life in this fable. He learns that the journey of life is itself a lesson. He has wise teachers and difficult lesson to learn along the way. It will draw in even reluctant readers as the fable is short and full of mystery. This book is best suited for middle and high school students. This book won the Grinzane Cavour Prize (foreign fiction) in 1996 and was on the BBC's Big Read list as the Best Loved Novel in 2003.
  PikeH | Jul 26, 2015 |
This is a spiritual little book in fable form, all about following your dreams. It was a quiet and pleasant read for me, whiling away a Sunday afternoon. A young shepherd has a dream, meets an interesting cast of characters and journeys on his personal quest. Along the way he learns that what you are looking for may well always have been in your own backyard. A quiet sigh as I turned the last page of the book. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
The story was personally thought provoking. I do not typically read overtly religious stories and this one tended to push my boundaries a bit. Overall I enjoyed it along with the authors message. ( )
  GingerSegreti | Jul 12, 2015 |
I never would have thought that I would enjoy a book with so much spiritual suggestion in it, but from the very beginning I realized I was going to not only fall in love with it, but pass it around to friends and family, singing its praises all the while.

The story is about a boy who sets out to discover the world, not simply because he craves it, but because that is his Personal Legend. It really gets a reader to thinking what their own Legend might be.

This was a quick, engaging read that wasn't originally a book I would have picked up if it hadn't been suggested to me through librarything's One Librarything, One Book posts. I'm afraid to say too much about it otherwise, because that would change the journey of other readers. When you pick up this book, I honestly believe it is one that you should pick up with no expectations or censorship from others in how the book goes. This book will most likely take many readers on a trip to discover their own Personal Legends without their even realizing it. ( )
  mirrani | Jul 10, 2015 |

MoebiusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Op hun tocht kwam hij in een dorp, waar een vrouw die Martha heette, hem in haar woning ontving. Ze had een zuster, Maria, die gezeten aan de voeten van de Heer luisterde naar zijn woorden. Martha werd in beslag genomen door de drukte van het bedienen, maar ze kwam er een ogenblik bij staan en zei: "Heer, laat het U onverschillig, dat mijn zuster mij alleen laat bedienen? Zeg haar dan dat ze mij moet helpen." De Heer gaf haar ten antwoord: "Martha, Martha, wat maak je je bezorgd en druk over veel dingen. Slechts één ding is nodig. Maria heeft het beste deel gekozen, en het zal haar niet ontnomen worden."

Lucas, 10:38-42
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
The boy's name was Santiago.
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
'Always heed the omens', the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
'To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Santiago, shepherd,
Gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
Lures thousands into parting
With their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

A fable about undauntingly following one's dreams, listening to one's heart, and reading life's omens features dialogue between a boy and an unnamed being.

4 1956
5 1933

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,523,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible