The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your…

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Paulo Coelho

24,82370144 (3.58)1 / 468
Member:demiurgician
Title:The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (1995), Edition: 61st printing, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Nook, 2012

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddharta by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Love of Seven Dolls by Paul Gallico (Fliss88)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    Dios Vuelve En Una Harley (Spanish Edition) by Joan Brandy (ALDRINDSL)
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by A. Fol (nadoosha_373)

English (638)  Dutch (15)  Spanish (13)  French (7)  Swedish (5)  German (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Arabic (1)  Piratical (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (698)
Considering it was written over a decade ago
it does remain valid in today's context
as if the readers would be now
becoming ready for its message

The focus on an intangible hand setting off events
and that deep inner motivation reaching out to meet
each and every occasion as a driving force moving
individuals, people, societies, circumstances
in order that the future would unfold as a concerted effort
of man's will, emotions, feelings and dreams
whether all comes to happen or fails is ultimately
one's choice and a prevailing idea in our time

it is certainly a very poignant message which
brings awareness and heart felt reckoning
of past experiences and future expectations

With a gripping narrative guides the reader softly
and firmly into the questioning and motivation
of the main character pursuit, breathing life into
each eventuality and masterfully chosen chain of events.

Very entertaining book

SPARDUDA | Jul 25, 2016 |
A little too much spiritual 'one with the world' mentality in it for me. And the ending I found to be a bit disappointing. ( )
  lotoflivinglefttodo | Jul 21, 2016 |
Live in the present, follow your dreams, and learn from your travels. It wasn't life changing, but it could be for some. ( )
1 vote bpeters65 | Jul 16, 2016 |
Due to changing circumstances and habit, I hadn’t read a book in two years. As my boss emptied her office due to a new job she gave me a few books, one of them being, The Alchemist, a World Book Night U.S. title for 2013. It had all the elements of breaking my slump – a good title, critical success, and a quick read. The simple narrative is very accessible, following a young shepherd on his journey to discover his Personal Legend. Through his quest he encounters mystics, gypsies, and others until eventually the alchemist enters and his pilgrimage to the great Pyramids transfigures from a physical to a wholly spiritual one. Through numerous encounters the author seeks to remind all of us that we are connected to each other, to this world, and ultimately, to The Creator. In such times as we live, this book is an antidote to enmity that surrounds us. ( )
1 vote lukespapa | Jul 15, 2016 |
Wonderful simple little book. It is not about the destination... ( )
1 vote Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |

MoebiusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohlbaum, IsoldePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Op hun tocht kwam hij in een dorp, waar een vrouw die Martha heette, hem in haar woning ontving. Ze had een zuster, Maria, die gezeten aan de voeten van de Heer luisterde naar zijn woorden. Martha werd in beslag genomen door de drukte van het bedienen, maar ze kwam er een ogenblik bij staan en zei: "Heer, laat het U onverschillig, dat mijn zuster mij alleen laat bedienen? Zeg haar dan dat ze mij moet helpen." De Heer gaf haar ten antwoord: "Martha, Martha, wat maak je je bezorgd en druk over veel dingen. Slechts één ding is nodig. Maria heeft het beste deel gekozen, en het zal haar niet ontnomen worden."

Lucas, 10:38-42
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
The boy's name was Santiago.
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
'Always heed the omens', the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
'To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations.

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.
Santiago, shepherd,
gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
lures millions into parting
with their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

An Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasures found within.… (more)

4 2086
5 2053

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,616,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible