The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your…

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Paulo Coelho

23,01962350 (3.59)1 / 423
Member:demiurgician
Title:The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (1995), Edition: 61st printing, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Nook, 2012

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Recently added bySteveLindahl, private library, arydwn, Saleh1, abhidd1687, tajuddinabd, ISKLibrary, LexiB22, dyfdd1
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    Why Your Life Matters by Cash Peters (Anonymous user)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    Dios Vuelve En Una Harley (Spanish Edition) by Joan Brandy (ALDRINDSL)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by A. Fol (nadoosha_373)

English (563)  Dutch (15)  Spanish (12)  French (6)  Swedish (4)  German (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (618)
A fable, who would have thought that I'd be reading a fable in this day and age! Beautifully written, and not sure if it was the writing style or the main character in the story, but this reminded me of the writings of Paul Gallico. We all have dreams, some believe that we all have a preordained destiny and I'm sure everyone who reads this book will come away with something different. It has inspired me to define my dreams and start doing something about making them happen! ( )
  Fliss88 | Mar 14, 2015 |
a quasi-parable that borders on a Joseph Campbell-like sense of myth and history but borrows from Catholicism and overt occult knowledge pretending towards profundity. it is a wholly derivative book that seeks to take credit for the ideas it’s stolen. to quote another Goodreads reviewer: “It answered the question, what happens when you put The Hero With a Thousand Faces, The Bible and 1001 Arabian Nights in a blender?” one professional reviewer referred to it as “mass-market mysticism.” my favorite quote, though, comes from reviewer David Sexton’s Evening Standard article The high priest of spiritual twaddle: “For years it seemed that Jonathan Livingston Seagull would never be surpassed in the realms of spiritual twaddle. No one could out soar that aspirational bird in the empyrean inanities. But Paul Coelho has shown otherwise.”
a fable for children or those who have never explored the deeper questions in life in even a superficial way. however, even if this is the first time you’ve ever encountered these ideas or tropes, Coelho tells you about them hamfistedly rather than showing you and letting you come to your own understanding. much like the Life of Pi, if you’ve ever read even one book of philosophy or studied mystical or metaphysical knowledge in even a passing way, this book is not for you.

why do so many people around the world absolutely LOVE this book? the same reason they love American cheese, fake maple syrup, Michael Bay movies, Stephanie Meyers’s Twilight, and other unsophisticated pablum. it SEEMS like you’re consuming some meaningful thing but, really, it’s just safe, does not challenge any of your core beliefs, and yet you get to say that you’ve read this deep, epiphanous book. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
One star from me and another for all the millions who inexplicably adore this screed. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
an extremely easy read for all ages that leaves nuggets with you to continue thinking on after you've closed the book. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |

MoebiusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheahen, LauraContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
The boy's name was Santiago.
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
'Always heed the omens', the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
'To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Santiago, shepherd,
Gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
Lures thousands into parting
With their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:26 -0400)

A fable about undauntingly following one's dreams, listening to one's heart, and reading life's omens features dialogue between a boy and an unnamed being.

4 1918

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,168,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible