The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist (original 1988; edition 1993)

by Paulo Coelho

22,68460754 (3.6)1 / 410
Member:ImperfectCJ
Title:The Alchemist
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (1993), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:**
Tags:book-club

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (1988)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: Another spiritual quest, also short and in a very simple style, but much better written
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (aces)
    The Profit by Kehlog Albran (bertilak)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (derelicious)
    Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (unlucky)
    Being There by Jerzy Kosiński (bertilak)
    Paradigms by Chris McKenna (MarkHardy)
    MarkHardy: I think if you like things that are a bit spiritual then you'll like both of these.
    Dios Vuelve En Una Harley (Spanish Edition) by Joan Brandy (ALDRINDSL)
    Jag sköt Paulo Coelho by Staffan Vahlquist (Jannes)
    Jannes: Om du verkigen INTE gillade Coelho så kan du ge Vahlquists anti-berättelse en chans. Oavsett vad man tycker om hans kvaliteter är det spännande att se hur Coelho väcker så starka reaktioner åt båda hållen.
    HereAfter, The Land of Intuit and the Quest for the Book of Destiny by Tai (go_taiwo)
    Music and moonlight; poems and songs by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (ExVivre)
    ExVivre: "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..."
    The Seed by A. Fol (nadoosha_373)

English (550)  Dutch (15)  Spanish (12)  French (6)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (3)  German (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (603)
I noticed this book on a thread some time back, about books that changed peopleÛªs lives. In its simplest reading it is about a young Spanish shepherd searching for treasure. Though he is not unhappy, he senses there is more to life and feels like he must journey to his literal dream of seeing the pyramids. But the deceptively simple story, written with appeal to young and old, has a lot of layers to it -- as many as there are life lessons. Key ideas are listening to your instincts, letting your heart speak to you by living in the moment, letting the world speak to you by being open to the opportunities and following the omens that come across your path. I enjoyed this book, and I could see myself reading it again and finding something new in it. It is the perfect gift for someone starting a new journey in life, a graduation, or just someone at a stage where they are trying to understand and nourish the person they want to be. Though it didn‰Ûªt change my life, it certainly reaffirms it.
I liked this book. I think the haters just sound like haters.
  JeaniaK | Dec 13, 2014 |
I was traveling at the time, so the timing of it was perfect. Don't think this is a casual read, it's easy language, but certainly a metaphysical book. You need to be in the right frame of mind ;) ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
Read first 10 pages. Fell asleep. Read another 20. Lost faith in humanity. Quit. ( )
  pan0ramix | Nov 25, 2014 |
It explained a lot, really hits the soul! I've read this book about 5 times already and can continue reading it another 5. ( )
  molina9 | Nov 17, 2014 |
Not at all what I expected. I knew it was a very popular book and happened to see it at the bookstore so I read the cover which sounded very intriguing. Adventure and travel. What it didn't say was it was a book of spirituality (or maybe I was already interested and stopped reading, I try not to read back covers to much so the story is fresh and I have not preconceived notions going in). It reminded me very much of the Celestine Prophecy which I'd read 20 years ago. Oh well, it wasn't terrible. It's good to be reminded to follow your dreams. And it was short so I didn't have to get too invested in reading it. ( )
  she_climber | Nov 4, 2014 |

Paulo Coelhoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jansen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alan R. ClarkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MoebiusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swoboda Herzog, CordulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Til J.
Alkymisten, som kender, og som anvender Det store Værks hemmeligheder.
PAULO COELHO
The boy's name was Santiago.
Introduction by Coelho:  I remember receiving a letter from the American Publisher Harper Collins that said that: "reading The Alchemist was like getting up at dawn and seeing the sun rise while the test of the world still slept."
We are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. We grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. There comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. But it's still there.
He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will take him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.
'Always heed the omens', the old king had said.
Maktub (it is written)
'To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation. All things are one. And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it', the old king said.

A young man named Santiago is on a quest to the Pyramids in Egypt following his "Personal Legend" to find a treasure. His adventures and experiences with the people he meets eventually help him discover where the true treasure is in his life.
Santiago, shepherd,
Gets told by King of Salem:
Follow your heart, boy!
(passion4reading)
Pseudo-profound dross
Lures thousands into parting
With their hard-earned cash.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122416, Paperback)

Like the one-time bestseller Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams. "My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy confides to the alchemist one night as they look up at a moonless night.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:26 -0400)

A fable about undauntingly following one's dreams, listening to one's heart, and reading life's omens features dialogue between a boy and an unnamed being.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible