Space Is Just a Starry Night by Tanith Lee

Space Is Just a Starry Night (edition 2013)

by Tanith Lee (Author)

Member:parasolofdoom
Title:Space Is Just a Starry Night
Authors:Tanith Lee (Author)
Info:Aqueduct Press (2013), Edition: First, 240 pages
Collections:To read

Space Is Just a Starry Night by Tanith Lee

Okay, this is how this went down. I went to the library in search of some non-genre fiction. I wanted a break from sf as I was still under the shadow of The Highest Frontier. I was cruising the new fiction section, where everything looked BORING, except one title I was on the fence about but wanted to check goodreads reviews first when BAM! I ran into this. I loved the cover design, and the title, and then I saw Tanith Lee and it was over.

I haven't read so much by Tanith lee, but what I have read I liked, and clearly it was time to read more.

So I was excited picking it up, excited checking it out and taking it home, and then I examined it more closely and UGH! it is a collection of short stories. Let me not get into all my short story issues here, I will just say it's not my favorite format. So in very short order I went from fangirl flailing to "meh." It was with rather lackluster enthusiasm that I actually started reading.

Now, can I say? I repent! I repent! Dear universe, I repent! I was in love from the very first story all the way to the end. (Almost. More on that in a moment.) Some of the stories were so perfect I wanted to kiss them. Special favorites were "The Beautiful Biting Machine," "Moon Wolf," "You Are My Sunshine," and "Within the Ghost." Oh, and "With a Flaming Sword." I do love retellings of the Adam and Eve story. Pretty much every time.

Tanith Lee is one of those authors that makes me tag my books as sf for speculative fiction rather than just science fiction. For the most part, I have followed my father's opinion that science fiction is clearly the superior half (not just that, but the only worthwhile half) of the science fiction and fantasy section. But Lee has always blurred the lines between science fiction and fantasy. Sometimes with a little bit of horror. Yes, there is future tech and world colonization and AI, but sometimes there are vampires and werewolves and goddesses, too. But these fantasy elements are thoughtful and smart and integral to what each short story is exploring, and it's all so seamless with the science fiction that I kind of adored it.

The only story I didn't love was "By Crystal Light Beneath One Star." I kept turning the pages, thinking, "What, so she think's she's Philip K. Dick now?" It never came together for me.

Anyway, the stories may be short, but the ideas are still big. The power of beauty and attraction. The worth, meaning, and purpose of a life. The line/interactions between human and the divine.

Absolutely loved this. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
A collection of newer short stories. Lee's stories are original, almost always beautiful, and often disturbing. Some are love stories (not necessarily *healthy* love stories), some take on old myths and folk tales for a new perspective. They are different from each other in narrative style and subject matter, but they have memorable images and words. ( )
1 vote selkins | Jun 16, 2014 |
To my Husband and Angel, John Kaiine.
From whom great inspiration I gaiine;
And whose name is such fun,
Since almost no one
Can pronounce it - until we explaiine.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,214,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible