Das Lavendelzimmer: Roman by Nina George

Das Lavendelzimmer: Roman (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Nina George

Member:smafalda
Title:Das Lavendelzimmer: Roman
Authors:Nina George
Info:Knaur HC (2013), Gebundene Ausgabe, 384 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George (2013)

English (144)  German (5)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (153)
It is impossible to categorize reading [b:The Little Paris Bookshop|23278537|The Little Paris Bookshop|Nina George|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1412462018s/23278537.jpg|42866547] - it defies genre, leverages sentimentality with a huge dollop of pathos yet somehow remains lighthearted in its own way. It's a story that yo-yos between love lost and found, between male and female perspectives of love, family, and friendship. But the other thing it has, that I truly loved was three men in a boat having adventures, encounters and meals. That the boat is a bookshop is the icing on the cake. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Which proves that just because it's translated doesn't mean it isn't trite. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Sep 25, 2018 |
Monsieur Perdu has a bookstore on a barge that is moored on the Seine River, in the middle of Paris. It has not gone anywhere in over twenty years. And neither has he! His life has been at a standstill since Manon, the love of his life, left him. This is ironic, because, rather than heal himself, Monsieur Perdu prescribes very specific books for very specific maladies. Consequently, he calls his barge the Literary Apothecary. He heals everyone, but he has never been able to heal himself. Then one day, tired of the life he had been living, if you can call it living, he unmoors the barge, and he heads down the Seine and away from Paris!

This is an amazing book. I don’t know if I feel this way, because this book is everything I love. It describes various books and a sincere love for them, it describes my beloved France, and it describes love. Our author, Nina George, paints, with her well-chosen words, a perfect visual picture of the south of France, allowing me to finally verbalize why the south of France is my favorite place in the entire world. And the characters in this book are wonderful! I feel as if I know them, as they float through their lives. This book is beautifully written, and the descriptions are worthy of being called poetry. Needless to say, this is my favorite book of the many dozen I have read this year. It is so amazing that I look forward to experiencing it, again. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Sep 22, 2018 |
I was excited to read about a literary apothecary, and I had visions of a book about an odd but wise bookseller and all the interesting people he helps with interesting books.

Instead I got a repressed man who is struggling to come back to life after twenty years of mourning a lost love. In most books, characters get more interesting as you learn more about them. But somehow, in this book, they started out as interesting and became less so as the story progressed. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
A lovely story of a book barge and the journey it takes through the French countryside, and the lives that are changed along the way. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |

Nina Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Junker Miranda, UlrikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pare, SimonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ich widme diesen Roman meinem Vater
Joachim Albert Wolfgang George, genannt Jo der Breite.
Sawalde/Eichwaldau 20. März 1938-4. April 2011, Hameln.

Papa, mit dir ist der einzige Mensch gestorben, der alles gelesen hat, was ich je schrieb, seit ich schreiben konnte. Du wirst mir fehlen, immer.
Ich sehe dich in jedem Licht des Abends und in jeder Welle aller Meere. Du gingst mitten im Wort.

Nina George, im Januar 2013
Den Verlorenen gewidmet. Und jenen, die sie immer noch lieben.
I dedicate this novel to my father,
JOACHIM ALBERT GEORGE,
known as Broad Jo.
March 20, 1938 (Sawade/Eichwaldau)—
April 4, 2011 (Hamelin)

Papa,
you were the only person who read everything I ever
wrote from the moment I learned to write. I will miss
you at all times.  I see you in every ray of evening
light and in every wave of every sea.
You left in mid sentence.

Nina George,
January 2013
Dedicated to the departed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
And to those who go on loving them.
Wie konnte es nur passieren, dass ich mich dazu überreden liess?
How on earth could I have let them talk me into it?
Memories are like wolves. You can't lock them away and hope they leave you alone.
"What is wrong with old? Age isn't a disease. We all grow old, even books. But are you, is anyone, worth less, or less important, because they've been around for longer?"
"Books keep stupidity at bay. And vain hopes. And vain men. They undress you with love, strength and knowledge. It's love from within. Make your choice: book or …"
You only really get to know your husband when he walks out on you.
"As long as she doesn't turn out too smart for men."
"For the stupid ones, she will, Madame. But who wants them anyway? A stupid man is every woman's downfall."

Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,677,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible