The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel by Nina…

The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2016)

by Nina George (Author)

Member:TML-Hancock
Title:The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel
Authors:Nina George (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Adult Fiction

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George (2013)

English (154)  German (5)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (163)
Beautifully written! A journey of love and self discovery...a book to whisk you away. Thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
I won't rate this officially because I didn't finish it, but at pg. 217/357, I would give it two stars. As a bookworm, the title & the idea of a literary apothecary drew me in. And I thought the first one or two chapters were really promising- we see Jean Perdu in action, prescribing books for customers and being involved behind-the-scenes in the building he shares with an eccentric group of characters. But the story kind of devolves into a bunch of men having boating adventures and being nostalgic for lost loves whilst also having some bizarro romantic interludes/affairs at the same time (Really Jean? I don't believe you're very interested in this Catherine girl you barely know and are sending postcards whilst lamenting your lost sweetheart and semi-flirting with multiple strange women). There seems to be no real plot, I was completely uninterested in the romances. The writing was rather mediocre, though to be fair some literary style could have been lost in translation. Who would I prescribe this book for? Perhaps middle-aged men with regrets? I don't know. But it was definitely not for me.
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
The man who’d rather not look into his soul looks into other people’s souls instead, prescribing books to ease their hurts. And he’s good at it. But then he’s asked to give more than a book, and he ends up giving of himself.

The Little Paris Bookshop takes readers on a journey to and through France, from Paris to the coast and back, from summer to winter, and through all the seasons of the heart. Gorgeous descriptions, fascinating characters, just the right level of coincidence and strangeness, with the just the right seasoning of literary references—enough for both expert and beginner… it’s a sumptuous feast of a tale, and an absorbing look at a man who’d rather not know or remember why he hurts until the answers break in on him.

Love and recovery take time, like reading, and this novel might heal many hurts with its quiet wisdom of books, waters, sky and sea. It’s a beautiful novel that leaves you beautifully satisfied. And it has cats!

Disclosure: I couldn’t resist the words “literary apothecary” on the back cover so I asked for this for Christmas. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 18, 2019 |
I am in agreement with many of the other reviewers. I liked this book, but I wanted to love it. When I read about a bookseller who personally matches books to the reader, I was intrigued. I enjoyed that part of the story."T he soul seer" was one description of Jean Perdu as he tried to get to know his customers before selling them a book. He was a lonely, sad man who opened like a flower in this book. He realized that life must go on and it is okay to forgive yourself and others and to love again. With that said, it took a long time to get there. I did love many of the descriptions of places, feelings and books in the story, but there were so many. The characters were very well drawn and you get to know them as well, some I liked, some I did not. I really enjoyed the relationship between Jean and Max as they got to know each other and became the father and son neither of them had. Overall this was a good story, just a bit long and more of a romance/drama/rebirth story than what I was expecting. Nina George's writing is beautiful and poetic, and I do look forward to her next book. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
This was a book of thirds - the apothecary, the journey and the end. Each fitted together well, and the story drifted nicely as if on the rivers mentioned in the book. I thought this was a well written piece, but don't expect literary greatness - it is a nice book for a gentle read. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |

Nina Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Junker Miranda, UlrikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pare, SimonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ich widme diesen Roman meinem Vater
Joachim Albert Wolfgang George, genannt Jo der Breite.
Sawalde/Eichwaldau 20. März 1938-4. April 2011, Hameln.

Papa, mit dir ist der einzige Mensch gestorben, der alles gelesen hat, was ich je schrieb, seit ich schreiben konnte. Du wirst mir fehlen, immer.
Ich sehe dich in jedem Licht des Abends und in jeder Welle aller Meere. Du gingst mitten im Wort.

Nina George, im Januar 2013
Den Verlorenen gewidmet. Und jenen, die sie immer noch lieben.
I dedicate this novel to my father,
JOACHIM ALBERT GEORGE,
known as Broad Jo.
March 20, 1938 (Sawade/Eichwaldau)—
April 4, 2011 (Hamelin)

Papa,
you were the only person who read everything I ever
wrote from the moment I learned to write. I will miss
you at all times.  I see you in every ray of evening
light and in every wave of every sea.
You left in mid sentence.

Nina George,
January 2013
Dedicated to the departed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
And to those who go on loving them.
Wie konnte es nur passieren, dass ich mich dazu überreden liess?
How on earth could I have let them talk me into it?
Memories are like wolves. You can't lock them away and hope they leave you alone.
"What is wrong with old? Age isn't a disease. We all grow old, even books. But are you, is anyone, worth less, or less important, because they've been around for longer?"
"Books keep stupidity at bay. And vain hopes. And vain men. They undress you with love, strength and knowledge. It's love from within. Make your choice: book or …"
You only really get to know your husband when he walks out on you.
"As long as she doesn't turn out too smart for men."
"For the stupid ones, she will, Madame. But who wants them anyway? A stupid man is every woman's downfall."

Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,493,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible