The President Has Been Shot!: The…

The President Has Been Shot!: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy (edition 2013)

by James L. Swanson

2371969,894 (4.04)3
Member:gregvogl
Title:The President Has Been Shot!: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
Authors:James L. Swanson
Info:Scholastic Press (2013), Edition: 0, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:history

The President Has Been Shot!: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson

Never knew s many (botched) details! My 10 yr. old was fascinated. Especially with wound descriptions. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
While the events in this book have been reviewed and retold countless times Swanson does a fantastic job of refreshing it. I did not live through these events so I have no personal memories attached to Kennedy or the tragedy. This provided a better unbiased and untampered view of the story. I personally enjoyed the suspense and intensity woven into each second as it unfolded. While I knew how the story ended I was eager to experience every fact and perspective. Much like a great Shakespearean or Greek tragedy, I was lured and hooked by the dramatic irony.
If there needs to be any criticism (since I must defend 4 instead of 5 stars), I did feel there were pieces of the story that were left incomplete. I want to know more about Jack Ruby's motives. While the epilogue denounces the conspiracy theories, I was still unsettled by the "ending" of the book. After the last page I spent several hours reading online. What happened to Jack Ruby? Why hasn't the government released more information? How did Jackie cope? There was so much more to explore. There is quite possibly endless information out there. Perhaps the unsettled conclusion is deliberate. Perhaps James Swanson purposefully stopped at a point where his readers would want more. If so, I say Bravo Mr. Swanson. You got me. ( )
  vwarren_UNO | Jan 27, 2018 |
This book is about the Kennedy assassination. It goes into the theories surrounding his death. They talk about his assassins life. It is a really sad and depressing book about a president that most of the nation adored. The book also goes into the funeral. Apparently, the first Lady modeled his funeral after Presiden Liconls funeral. She thought it would be fitting seeing how he died. I was an okay book. The book ended with showing us the president three-year-old son saluting his father at his funeral.

I gave this book 2 stars because it was kind of boring. It told a great story and had a bunch of cool information but it was not something I would read again and again. I found it really depressing. All and all it wasn't a horrible book. ( )
  JadeI.B2 | Oct 14, 2017 |

"As the night lengthened on November 21, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald could not
escape the hopelessness of his life. He was a lonely, impoverished, and
embittered young man who had failed at everything in life that he had ever
attempted -- high school, the Marine Corps, marriage, fatherhood, menial
jobs, political activism, writing, being an expatriate, and significance. And
now, on this night, he had failed in love. He was helpless, drifting
toward oblivion. Tomorrow he would change that."

I was ten years old when President Kennedy was killed. I've never learned very much about the
troubled short life of JFK's assassin Lee Harvey Oswald. But this book
has changed that.

Another thing I've learned from “THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN SHOT!” are the
bad decisions made by the Dallas police that led up to the subsequent murder
of Lee Harvey Oswald by Jack Ruby.

And yes I still have questions that probably will never be answered.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This book had some interesting details that I didn't know, but it hinted at negative implications of some actions of the Secret Service and the Dallas Police Dept that it never readdressed and left me wondering what those implications were. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

A breathtaking and dramatic account of the JFK assassination by the NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author of CHASING LINCOLN'S KILLER!

In his new young-adult book on the Kennedy assassination, James Swanson will transport readers back to one of the most shocking, sad, and terrifying events in American history. As he did in his bestselling Scholastic YA book, CHASING LINCOLN'S KILLER, Swanson will deploy his signature "you are there" style -- a riveting, ticking-clock pace, with an unprecedented eye for dramatic details and impeccable historical accuracy -- to tell the story of the JFK assassination as it has never been told before.

The book will be illustrated with archival photos, and will have diagrams, source notes, bibliography, places to visit, and index

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

Recounts the 35th president's assassination and details key events while sharing informative back matter and archival photographs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,628,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible