The Boleyn deceit : a novel by Laura…

The Boleyn deceit : a novel

by Laura Andersen

I liked this book. I enjoyed the Era and I am a huge fan of this time period.
But I have never read the first book, son I felt pretty lost. It is not one meant to be standalone. I am going to go back and read the first novel then read this novel again. That way I won't be as confused. I am anticipating book 3 ( )

Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
The Boleyn Deceit proved to be just as compelling as the first book in the trilogy and just as hard to put down. Things became more intense at the end of book one with William making his intentions toward Minuette very clear, and this intensity only grows as Minuette and Dominic's feelings become stronger. Andersen does a great job at making the stakes even higher because of the strong friendship and loyalty shared by William, Elizabeth, Minuette, and Dominic. It is these four characters that make this story so compelling because the reader just becomes more and more invested in these characters all the while knowing that things will fall apart as soon as William realizes the truth. Andersen has also added to the tension by showing how precarious William's position is with both outside forces and factions within England attempting to control the outcome of it all. Overall The Boleyn Deceit was an amazing read that I would most definitely recommend to readers who enjoy Philippa Gregory and Alison Weir. I am looking forward to reading the conclusion of this trilogy.

Received a copy of The Boleyn Deceit through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | Mar 23, 2014 |
I received "The Boleyn Deceit" as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

The second book of an alternate history trilogy, The Boleyn Deceit explores of the world of young and newly crowned King Henry IX (the son of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn), his older sister Elizabeth, his childhood playmate Minuette, and his loyal friend Dominic, and a cast of secondary characters. Relationships are tested, passions burn, and disloyalty abounds. It's a fast-paced, quick read, one that lovers of popular historical fiction will probably enjoy.

Alternate histories are always an interesting thought exercise--after all, even one relatively small event (in this case, a male child who lives instead of dying at birth), could have changed Western history as we understand it. I didn't read the first book of the trilogy, which I'm sure could have provided more context, but I understood enough to be entertained and engaged.

Recommended. ( )
  ceg045 | Feb 19, 2014 |
For

Sandra Lee Lindsay

1942-2006

You loved me enough to let me go.

Thank you.
"You will not tell me what I can and cannot do with my own son!" (Prelude)
I have but a few minutes before Carrie must dress me for tonight's festivities.
"You are so good, Minuette. So good for me. What would I do without you?"
I honestly don't know. And that's why I'm lying to you and breaking my own heart as I do so.

Perfect for fans of Philippa Gregory, Alison Weir, and Showtime’s The Tudors, The Boleyn Deceit is the captivating new novel set in the imagined Tudor court of King Henry IX, son of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, who must navigate a terrain rife with palace intrigue, impending war, and unbridled passions.

The regency period is over and William Tudor, now King Henry IX, sits alone on the throne. But England must still contend with those who doubt his legitimacy, both in faraway lands and within his own family. To diffuse tensions and appease the Catholics, William is betrothed to a young princess from France, but still he has eyes for only his childhood friend Minuette, and court tongues are wagging.

Even more scandalous—and dangerous, if discovered—is that Minuette’s heart and soul belong to Dominic, William’s best friend and trusted advisor. Minuette must walk a delicate balance between her two suitors, unable to confide in anyone, not even her friend Elizabeth, William’s sister, who must contend with her own cleaved heart. In this irresistible tale, the secrets that everyone keeps are enough to change the course of an empire.

Praise for Laura Andersen’s The Boleyn King

“A sumptuous, vividly imagined novel of a Boleyn king’s fateful rise to power amid the treacherous glamour of the Tudor court.”—C. W. Gortner, author of The Queen’s Vow

“Fans of both Stephenie Meyer and Philippa Gregory will find much to love in this evocative and well-written debut.”—Francine Mathews, author of Jack 1939

Includes a preview of Laura Andersen’s The Boleyn Reckoning

Look for special features inside. Join the Random House Reader’s Circle for author chats and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:10:11 -0400)

"Henry IX, known as William, is the son of Anne Boleyn and now the leader of England, his regency period finally at an end. His newfound power, however, comes with the looming specter of war with the other major powers of Europe, with strategic alliances that must be forged on both the battlefield and in the bedroom, and with a court, severed by religion, rife with plots to take over the throne"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Boleyn Deceit by Laura Andersen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible