The Boleyn deceit : a novel by Laura…

The Boleyn deceit : a novel

by Laura Andersen

The Boleyn Deceit proved to be just as compelling as the first book in the trilogy and just as hard to put down. Things became more intense at the end of book one with William making his intentions toward Minuette very clear, and this intensity only grows as Minuette and Dominic's feelings become stronger. Andersen does a great job at making the stakes even higher because of the strong friendship and loyalty shared by William, Elizabeth, Minuette, and Dominic. It is these four characters that make this story so compelling because the reader just becomes more and more invested in these characters all the while knowing that things will fall apart as soon as William realizes the truth. Andersen has also added to the tension by showing how precarious William's position is with both outside forces and factions within England attempting to control the outcome of it all. Overall The Boleyn Deceit was an amazing read that I would most definitely recommend to readers who enjoy Philippa Gregory and Alison Weir. I am looking forward to reading the conclusion of this trilogy.

Received a copy of The Boleyn Deceit through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | Mar 23, 2014 |
I received "The Boleyn Deceit" as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

The second book of an alternate history trilogy, The Boleyn Deceit explores of the world of young and newly crowned King Henry IX (the son of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn), his older sister Elizabeth, his childhood playmate Minuette, and his loyal friend Dominic, and a cast of secondary characters. Relationships are tested, passions burn, and disloyalty abounds. It's a fast-paced, quick read, one that lovers of popular historical fiction will probably enjoy.

Alternate histories are always an interesting thought exercise--after all, even one relatively small event (in this case, a male child who lives instead of dying at birth), could have changed Western history as we understand it. I didn't read the first book of the trilogy, which I'm sure could have provided more context, but I understood enough to be entertained and engaged.

Recommended. ( )
  ceg045 | Feb 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Warning: This review contains mild spoilers.

The Boleyn Deceit is a fictional tale based in an alternate reality where Anne Boleyn has succeeded in bearing King Henry VIII of England a son. This is not Anne or Henry's story, but the intermingled stories of their son William (otherwise known as King Henry IX), his sister Elizabeth, his best friend and trusted advisor Dominic, and William's love interest Minuette. Although William is besotted with Minuette, Minuette and Dominic are secretly in love with each other. The majority of the plot, although not all of it, revolves around this love triangle and the hurt it will eventually bring.
When I received this book for review, I was excited and sure I would enjoy it based upon the available synopsis. However, when I actually got down to reading The Boleyn Deceit, it was hard pressed to keep my attention. This isn't due to any lack of plot twists, dynamic characters, or quality writing style. To be honest, for the majority of the book, I could not figure out exactly why it wasn't capturing me the way I had expected. It wasn't until after I had finished the book that I realized the issue, for me, was that the book contained quite a bit of drama and suspense but hardly gave any type of resolution to the vast majority of the subplots contained within. By the end of the novel, I felt as though I had trudged through it for no reward or pay-off. To be clear, I am not the sort of person who wants every bit of a plot neatly wrapped up with everyone happy by the end of a book. However, I do like at least some level of resolution by the end of a novel. I am sure most of the subplots will come to a resolution in the third installment of the trilogy. However, there wasn't enough of a story arc within this novel on its own to hold my interest.
The Boleyn Deceit is the second in a trilogy. However, it can easily be read without having previously read the first book in the series. I personally haven't yet read the first book, which is titled The Boleyn King, and I was able to follow the plot with no confusion.
If you are a fan of the genre and want a new twist, I recommend giving The Boleyn Deceit a try. However, it is not a "must read" in my opinion. ( )
  Crittercrazyjen | Jan 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Really excellent second volume in The Boleyn Trilogy by Laura Andersen. It's an alternate universe--what if Anne Boleyn had given birth to a son, who grew up to survive Henry VIII and become his heir? William to his friends, Henry IX to the rest of the world, comes into his own in this second part, which takes place 2 years after The Boleyn King. William begins to assert himself, much to the dislike of his controlling uncle, Lord Rochford. Although a diplomatic marriage is arranged between William and the young French princess Elizabeth, William makes plans of his own to defeat the French in both diplomacy and on the battlefield and instead wed his childhood friend Minuette Wyatt. But wait, Minuette is in love with William's best friend Dominic! Walking on eggshells ensues. In the meantime, William's sister Elizabeth, who is his heir, becomes more and more disillusioned with the man she loves, Robert Dudley.

Andersen stays true to the history she's created, given a basis in historical fact. At times I found myself saying, "wait a minute, that didn't happen!" only to realize, "not in this world, it didn't!" I found the pacing and plotting to be much tighter than in the first volume. Can't wait for the third, to be released in July. ( )
  TeresaInTexas | Jan 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was impressed by this book but not really blown away. I took awhile before I was able to sit down and read it as it is the 2nd installment to the series and I had to read the first one. It should be noted that this installment to the series is not one you can just jump into. It makes references to the 1st book and without having read it it would be easy to become lost. If you are a Tudor history fan this book and series will be for you. I was impressed enough to hand this over to my daughter who is a history major in college, it will be interesting to get her take on it. For me it was worth the read and I look forward to more.
  justablondemoment | Jan 23, 2014 |
For

Sandra Lee Lindsay

1942-2006

You loved me enough to let me go.

Thank you.
"You will not tell me what I can and cannot do with my own son!" (Prelude)
I have but a few minutes before Carrie must dress me for tonight's festivities.
"You are so good, Minuette. So good for me. What would I do without you?"
I honestly don't know. And that's why I'm lying to you and breaking my own heart as I do so.

Perfect for fans of Philippa Gregory, Alison Weir, and Showtime’s The Tudors, The Boleyn Deceit is the captivating new novel set in the imagined Tudor court of King Henry IX, son of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, who must navigate a terrain rife with palace intrigue, impending war, and unbridled passions.

The regency period is over and William Tudor, now King Henry IX, sits alone on the throne. But England must still contend with those who doubt his legitimacy, both in faraway lands and within his own family. To diffuse tensions and appease the Catholics, William is betrothed to a young princess from France, but still he has eyes for only his childhood friend Minuette, and court tongues are wagging.

Even more scandalous—and dangerous, if discovered—is that Minuette’s heart and soul belong to Dominic, William’s best friend and trusted advisor. Minuette must walk a delicate balance between her two suitors, unable to confide in anyone, not even her friend Elizabeth, William’s sister, who must contend with her own cleaved heart. In this irresistible tale, the secrets that everyone keeps are enough to change the course of an empire.

Praise for Laura Andersen’s The Boleyn King

“A sumptuous, vividly imagined novel of a Boleyn king’s fateful rise to power amid the treacherous glamour of the Tudor court.”—C. W. Gortner, author of The Queen’s Vow

“Fans of both Stephenie Meyer and Philippa Gregory will find much to love in this evocative and well-written debut.”—Francine Mathews, author of Jack 1939

Includes a preview of Laura Andersen’s The Boleyn Reckoning

Look for special features inside. Join the Random House Reader’s Circle for author chats and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:10:11 -0400)

"Henry IX, known as William, is the son of Anne Boleyn and now the leader of England, his regency period finally at an end. His newfound power, however, comes with the looming specter of war with the other major powers of Europe, with strategic alliances that must be forged on both the battlefield and in the bedroom, and with a court, severed by religion, rife with plots to take over the throne. Will trusts only three people: his older sister, Elizabeth; his best friend and loyal counselor, Dominic; and Minuette, a young orphan raised as a royal ward by Anne Boleyn. But as the pressure rises alongside the threat to his life, even they William must begin to question--and to fear..."--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Boleyn Deceit by Laura Andersen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible