Ugly As Sin by James Newman

Ugly As Sin

by James Newman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wonderful tale, but no Disney product, no bunnies and good fairies; but rather a story which draws you in while simultaneously repulsing you. The main character, having worked hard for fame and fortune, has lost it all due to misfortune, ignorance and inability to control his emotions, only to discover that he's also lost an opportunity for a meaningful life without the trapping of celebrity. The story is one of redemption, or rather the beginnings of redemption, as well as the rescue of his granddaughter from evil. At the end we hope that he will be an adult and content with the meaningful relations a family can bring. As said, this work quickly draws you in and is consequently a fast read, recommend highly to those that enjoy a good noir tale. ( )
  dmclane | May 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This a quick, suspenseful revenge story that also focuses on family relationships. I was surprised by how brutal a few of the scenes were, incorporating elements of horror, but it was all well-written and I enjoyed it, even if it did make me a bit queasy. No knowledge of pro-wrestling was necessary to enjoy this. Even though it is short, you feel like you know the protagonist. ( )
  rosapoma | May 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
'Ugly As Sin is' my first outing into the mind of James Newman. I came close to losing my dinner during chapter one... or was it chapter two? I can't remember. It was, after all, the middle of the night.

In the morning, as I finished the book, I fell into a fitful doze peopled by psychotics carving off my face. Daddy, Noooo! Slap. Oh, where was I?

If you love a seriously good bit of noir, then read 'Ugly As Sin', do. It ticks all the boxes, and certainly won't be the last James Newman I read. Wicked peachy it is. Wicked peachy. More, please.

I received a copy of 'Ugly As Sin' as a Librarything Early Reviewer. ( )
  Camy-Sussex | May 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So this is my third book read from Newman; the other two are The Wicked, and Midnight Rain. Midnight Rain I LOVED, and The Wicked was average.

This one falls in the middle. It's a very strong revenge story. The plot is like a mix between the movies Taken, Oldboy, and The Wrestler.

Definitely recommended

Jason ( )
  Mordecai42 | May 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received ‘Ugly As Sin’ as an ebook through the Early Reviewers program.

James Newman has written a cracker of a page-turner in Ugly As Sin.

Nick Bullman is a successful pro wrestler (the Widowmaker – an excellent name!) who, without giving too many spoilers, is violently attacked by some wrestling follower crazies and left with a dreadfully disfigured face, hence the title.

The attack is the start of Nick’s downfall, and when he thinks he can’t get much lower, an entirely unexpected message appears on his phone and his life takes a dramatic turn.

The novel is fairly short (just over 240p on my Kindle) but Newman has created a full story with interesting characters (I loved the portrayal of Leon) presented to us in all their flawed glory.

“Ugly As Sin’ is described as ‘white trash noir’, and boy does it fit the bill. Newman tells this gritty story with humor, and where violent scenes occur, they are not overdone.

Keep reading when you get to the end of the story – there’s an interview worth reading. ( )
  buttsy1 | May 4, 2017 |

Faceless ex-wrestler's
Granddaughter gets abducted,
and he kicks some butt.
(yoyogod)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

James Newman's book Ugly As Sin is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible