JFK by Jonah Winter

JFK

by Jonah Winter

Other authors: AG Ford (Illustrator)

This book tells the story of JFK, starting with his childhood where he was considered a sickly boy who was in the shadow of his older brother. After his brother passes away in WWII, John steps up and quickly makes his way to President of the United States. I liked how this book portrayed JFK as the man he was; honest, willing to fight for change and for what he believed was best for our country. Overall, I enjoyed this biography. ( )
  tejennin | Mar 15, 2019 |
This book did a nice job of painting a picture of John F. Kennedy. He was a white, privileged male whose great-grandparents came to America from Ireland. He was Catholic and had many siblings. As a child, he was compared to his older brother. John loved books and words. He was also often sick as a child. When the brothers got older, they both fought in WWII. John returned home, but his brother did not survive. John was elected to the Senate and wrote a book. He later won the presidential election with his charisma, intelligence, and charm. He made a difference in Civil Rights and wrote some of the greatest speeches America has ever heard. He also saved our country from the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was later shot and killed during a parade, but the power of his words will always be remembered. This book showed the power that our words hold. I enjoyed learning about such a memorable president's childhood and journey to become president of the United States. ( )
  BMayeux | Jan 28, 2019 |
This books tells in detail the story of JFK life as a young boy. At first he is described as a small sickly boy compared to his older brother who the family expected to do great things. After his brother perished in WWII it was John who was then expected to become president. However, John preferred to read and write and did not necessarily want to fill that powerful position. As we all know, he did in fact win the presidency with the help of his confidence and charm. Sadly he was unable to enact all the change that he wanted to as president as a result of his assassination. I believe this book does a great job of explaining to kids the life JKF lead and his impact on America as a whole. ( )
  bhammant | Oct 26, 2018 |
AG Ford does an amazing job with the illustrations in this book. He creates a vivid, realistic view of America from JFK's wealthy perspective. I really liked how this book was realistic and not shy about the fact that John Kennedy came from a wealthy, respectable family. The Kennedys were said to be the closest thing to royalty that America had. It was also emphasized that JFK was a successful president because of his charisma, ways of words, and ability to express himself. This can inspire children to work diligently in school so that they too can become president of the United States. ( )
  mskathyphan | Oct 23, 2018 |
Before reading this book I only knew a few things about JFK, but after you really get a sense of what kind of person he was. It showed the reader that he wasn't afraid to do what he felt was right without being worried about making enemies. It is simple enough fro a child to understand and enjoy and the illustrations are very detailed. I love the fact that it wasn't clouded with too many non important facts, but also didn't have me begging for more. ( )
  JasonCam1 | Feb 4, 2018 |

Jonah Winterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ford, AGIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The New York Times bestselling team that brought readers Barack in 2008 presents this picture book biography of John F. Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States of America. JFK tells how a little boy grew up to be president in a story about hope and courage and the power of words. It details JFK's childhood as well as his presidency and includes the Cuban missile crisis, the civil rights movement, the Camelot years, and a firsthand account of his assassination.

JFK's is a story that has been told by many voices. Acclaimed picture book biographer Jonah Winter offers his own voice and memories about JFK and his significance in this heartfelt personal profile, illustrated in vibrant detail by award-winning artist AG Ford.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:24 -0400)

This is a story about how a little boy grew up to be president.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,405,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible