The Ways of the World: Paris, 1919-The…

The Ways of the World: Paris, 1919-The Battle for Peace Begins... (The…

by Robert Goddard

English (10)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (12)
Shelfari Description:
A thrilling espionage story set in Paris after the First World War, full of classic Goddard double crosses and triple twists. 1919. The eyes of the world are on the city of Paris where diplomats, politicians, spies and opportunists have gathered to discuss the fate of Germany in the aftermath of the cataclysm that was the First World War. In such circumstances, the last thing the British diplomatic community need is the untimely death of one of their delegation. So when Sir Henry Maxted falls from the roof of his mistress’ apartment block in mysterious circumstances, their first instinct is to sanitize any unexplained aspects to his death. But his son ex Royal Flying Corps ace, James ‘Max’ Maxted, has other ideas. He resolves to get to the bottom of Sir Henry’s death - even if it does mean disturbing the impression of harmonious calm which the negotiating teams have worked so hard to maintain. In a city where nations are jostling for position at the crossroads of history and stakes are very high, it is difficult to tell who is a friend and who is a foe. And Max will soon discover how much he needs friends.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would seeing that Historical Fiction isn't usually something I like. At first I thought it was a bit overly descriptive, but quickly got over that and settled into the amazing adventure. I will most definitely continue the series. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | May 31, 2016 |
All the usual ingredients are there from Robert Goddard, but it doesn't quite grip you as much as some of his earlier stories. The story is set in 1919 Paris in the midst of the WW1 Peace Conference, where James Maxted, former flying ace investigates the strange death of his father and uncovers all sorts of unpalatable truths ( )
  edwardsgt | May 24, 2016 |
This is a well-written and researched book with an intriguing story line by one of my favorite authors. Lots of interesting characters with vivid descriptions are hard to keep track of at times but the plot more than enough makes up for that. As this is the first book in a trilogy, I am eager to read the next one in order to tie up all the loose ends in the murder of Max's father. I would highly recommend this series as Goddard is a great storyteller and this book confirms it and does not disappoint. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
James Maxted (known as Max) and his older brother, Ashley have been called to Paris to bring home the body of their father, Sir Henry Maxted, a British diplomat pulled out of retirement to participate in the 1919 Peace talks in Paris. He has apparently fallen to his death in a tragic accident. But, there's much more to the story and Max decides to stay in Paris to find out why his father was most certainly murdered. As we follow him we find out that almost everything we think is wrong, and not everyone is not telling the entire truth. Max enters into a treacherous world of secret allegiances, international espionage, and people double-crossing each other at the highest levels of government.

This is a really good book but one that can be challenging to read at first due to the long list of characters. I found myself paging back more than once, so I just made a few notes and that solved the problem. The story is engaging, the plotting is intricate and the characters seemed realistic for that time period. As soon as I started the book, I felt immediately transported to Paris in 1919. I'm a fan of Robert Goddard's style of writing and while this may seem too melodramatic for some readers, it wasn't a problem for me.

This is the first book of a trilogy so I didn't expect everything to be tied up at the end. Nevertheless, there is a satisfying resolution to some parts of the story. The author left us with a “to be continued' and I'm intrigued enough to see what happens in Book 2 (Corners of the Globe) and Book 3 (Ends of the Earth). ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
It’s Spring 1919. The Great War is all but over and former Royal Flying Corps ace James “Max” Maxted wants to open an aviation school. To do that, he’ll need land – his family’s -- that his father, Lord Henry Maxted, has promised him. But when Lord Henry dies – in a tragic accident in Paris according to police – any verbal agreement is moot. Title and land go to James’s older brother Ashley.

At the time of his death, Sir Henry was serving as a diplomat with the British delegation that’s negotiating the terms to finally end the war. With the Paris Peace Conference, the city is teeming with diplomats and spies from every country. Max is suspicious about his father’s death, believing Sir Henry may have been murdered. The new Lord Ashley Maxted and his ambitious wife want everything wrapped up nice and tidy. But Sir Henry’s mistress complicates things. It seems that Sir Henry fell (or jumped or was pushed) from a window in the building in which she rents an apartment. Despite Sir Ashley's wish for a speedy conclusion to the matter of his father's death, younger brother insists on finding the truth.

I haven’t read anything by Robert Goddard before, but like stories set in the years between the World Wars. The Ways of the World was an interesting read, and Max is a top-notch protagonist. Historical mysteries set in England in this era are often compared to Jacqueline Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs novels. I’ve read all of the Maisie books and don’t believe this books matches meets Ms.Winspear’s standard. I will, however, be reading the next two books in this planned trilogy. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 31, 2015 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

1919. The eyes of the world are on the city of Paris where diplomats, politicians, spies and opportunists have gathered to discuss the fate of Germany in the aftermath of the cataclysm that was the First World War. In such circumstances, the last thing the British diplomatic community need is the untimely death of one of their delegation. So when Sir Henry Maxted falls from the roof of his mistress' apartment block in mysterious circumstances, their first instinct is to sanitize any unexplained aspects to his death. But his son ex Royal Flying Corps ace, James 'Max' Maxted, has other ideas. He resolves to get to the bottom of Sir Henry's death - even if it does mean disturbing the impression of harmonious calm which the negotiating teams have worked so hard to maintain. In a city where nations are jostling for position at the crossroads of history and stakes are very high, it is difficult to tell who is a friend and who is a foe. And Max will soon discover how much he needs friends...… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible