Emperor's Codes, the Breakingof Japan's…

Emperor's Codes, the Breakingof Japan's Secret Ciphers (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Michael Smith, Illustrated (Illustrator)

Member:nickpelling
Title:Emperor's Codes, the Breakingof Japan's Secret Ciphers
Authors:Michael Smith
Other authors:Illustrated (Illustrator)
Info:Arcade (2001), Hardcover

The Emperor's Codes: The Breaking of Japan's Secret Ciphers by Michael Smith (2000)

The Americans, English, Australians, and the Canadian codebreakers helped turn the tide in WWII in the Pacific against the Japanese. ( )
  terrygraap | Feb 23, 2015 |
A good overview of the struggle to gain information behind the Japanese Empire approaching and during World War II. The book is filled with personal accounts which make it very personal. Thinking the Pacific War was mostly an American endeavor I learned more about the front in southeast Asia than I had ever been taught. The book does seem to follow a repetitive pattern which can be tedious; move, gather intelligence, crack a code (or almost), codes change, move or start all over. O, and bicker with the Americans.

The repetitive nature of the story is probably has more to do with the nature of the material; code cracking is a boring and repetitive task with lots of work for, what is often, very little. And cryptography uses abstract mathematical concepts most are quite without the background to understand. So those who know cryptography will probably be disappointed in the lack of detail, what detail does exists frustrates the rest. For the difficulty of the material I probably dock a star.

All in all I enjoyed the overview of the Pacific theater of the war and learning more about all the effort which was put into intelligence to bring it to a close. ( )
  tillywern | Feb 16, 2013 |
I believe most experienced cryptanalysts would agree with me that cryptanalysis is much closer to art than to science, and this is what makes the personal factor so important.

- John Tiltman, chief cryptographer at Bletchley Park, 1940 - 1945
For Ben, Kirsty, Louise, Leila and Levin
The extraordinary achievements of the British codebreakers based at Bletchley Park in cracking Nazi Germany's 'unbreakable' Enigma cipher are now widely known.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155970568X, Hardcover)

From Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, whose devastating loss was due in large measure to our inability to decode messages about the forthcoming attack, to the Battle of Midway, code-breaking played a key role in the Pacific war. Moving across the world from Bletchley Park outside London to Pearl Harbor, from Singapore to Colombo, from Mombassa to Melbourne, The Emperor's Code reveals how the Japanese codes - of which there were several - were broken, and we discover in detail who were the (often quirky) geniuses behind the desperate effort. Unlike the German codes, where similarities of language made decrypting at least possible, the vast differences between English and Japanese made this far more daunting.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:37 -0400)

WWII exploits of the British codebreakers based at Bletchley Park. How the Japanese codes were cracked.

Arcade Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Arcade Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible