Timebound (The Chronos Files) by Rysa Walker

Timebound (The Chronos Files) (edition 2014)

by Rysa Walker

Member:KeriLynneD
Title:Timebound (The Chronos Files)
Authors:Rysa Walker
Info:Skyscape (2014), Paperback, 374 pages

Timebound by Rysa Walker

I'm picky about both YA and scifi. Neither are my usual genres, but this book really worked for me. I liked it right away and I never lost interest. It helped that I had read Devil in the White City before this. It seems to me maybe the author did too. I'm planning to read the next two books in this trilogy. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Chronos Files series. I have had this book to read for quite some time and was excited to finally get to read it. I ended up stopping the book about 30% of the way through; I just could not stand the main protagonist and the awful decisions she kept making.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narration was decent; I didn’t have any issues with the audiobook quality.

This starts out as a fairly typical YA paranormal read; in this case Kate finds out she has a time-traveling gene that allows her to travel through time. Of course, only she can fix the timeline that her grandfather is messing up.

Kate makes one bad decision after another throughout the beginning of the book. She does stuff that literally makes you roll your eyes in exasperation. I was getting so frustrated with her that I started to hope that maybe something bad would happen to her or she would mysteriously die and give someone else some page space.

The storyline is also incredibly predictable and contrived; there is no originality here at all. I rarely stop listening to audiobooks, but this one was frustrating me so bad I just had to stop.

Overall this was just a bad book. The writing, the characters, the story, all of it was pretty awful. I would not recommend. If you are interested in a YA series featuring time travel check out Kerstin Gier’s Precious Stone trilogy; that is a much better series that features a young heroine with a time-traveling gene. ( )
  krau0098 | May 19, 2018 |
I was pleasantly surprised by how awesome this book was to read. It is immediately addicting. Now, I absolutely have to, most definitely, with no delay, read the second, Time's Edge, and the third, Time's Divide.

Creating a YA story about time-travel set in our actual world seems pretty difficult. Right off, time travel itself is quite difficult to write about, with all of the confusion of time sequences criss-crossing and glaringly obvious endings being apparent early on. Timebound successfully jumps between time settings without losing the flow of the plot, while still being surprising.

Kate has recently been re-acquainted with her Grandmother. Grandmother, after an initial period of disbelief, convinces Kate that she is from the far future, and that they both have the ability to time travel. She has no option but to believe her Grandmother when her own timeline is abruptly altered due to changes made in the past by malicious other time travelers.

Along the way, she encounters the gorgeous Kieran, with whom she has a past that she cannot remember, and the adorable Trey, with whom a future seems to be impossible. While her existence is erased in the timelines of her parents and friends, she rushes to figure out how her abilities can be used to save herself, the people she loves, and the world. Kate's relationships with Trey and Kieran are tangled because of all that time traveling, and that just makes you want to know how everything is going to turn out.

Overall a very compelling read. Caution: towards the end, it turned terrifying, even more so because the terrifying situation was based on people, places, and (horrifying) things that actually happened. To be fair, I am not a fan of the horror genre, and probably most people would not be as scared. My bedroom light was on all night.

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I enjoyed Timebound probably because I haven't read a good YA novel in a while. Given the number of time travel novels I've come across, it isn't really a hot topic and so I do admire Rysa Walker for tackling it. I enjoyed the plot line and I think she executed it pretty well. I thought the characters were pretty well developed. I mean, compare her main character to other YA main characters, for one, Kate is definitely more adult about the entire situation and doesn't whine half as much as other YA heroines. Having said that, her habit of confiding important life-altering issues to anybody and everybody is ridiculous. I understand telling her best friend (even though I, personally would have ruminated more on it before spilling all). There are several other ways Walker could have written Trey into the story but the way she did was rather haphazard and made him seem like an unnecessary tack-on. I also would have preferred that Kiernan feature more prominently... He and Kate made a better match to me.
Aside from that, my other major problem with this book was that some of the major ideas were poorly explained. Time travel is a complicated issue (the is a reason most YA authors stick to supernatural creatures and dystopian societies) and explaining some of the ideas can get complicated. In Timebound, some points just didn't connect to me. Having said that, perhaps, future books might explain these things better. ( )
  Keli_B | Oct 19, 2017 |
This was surprisingly good! The main character, Kate, is a 17 year old who discovers that her grandmother is actually a time-traveling historian from the future who got stuck in 1969 as a result of her husband's sinister plans. Little does Kate know that she was part of her grandmother's own plan to put an end to her husband's schemes.

I went into this not expecting much, and got more than I bargained for. Even though the main character is a still in high school, and there is a young romance involved, the story didn't get bogged down by it. It fit in nicely with the rest of the story, which was well written and mature. It definitely satisfied me by delivering the kinds of twists and turns that one expects from a time travel adventure.

I picked up the audio book version, and I was equally impressed with the narrator, Kate Rudd. She was excellent throughout. She did a great job with differtiating voices for her different characters without sounding ridiculous (her male voices could use some work, but can't fault her for that I guess!).

This is the first part of a trilogy, and at the end it's clear that there's more to the story, but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. I didn't think I'd be moving on to the next installment, but now I'm pretty sure I will be. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Aug 14, 2017 |

Rysa Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timebound was originally released as Time’s Twisted Arrow.

When Kate Pierce Kellers grandmother gives her a strange blue medallion and speaks of time travel, sixteen year old Kate assumes the old woman is delusional. But it all becomes horrifyingly real when a murder in the past destroys the foundation of Kates present day life. Suddenly, that medallion is the only thing protecting Kate from blinking out of existence. Kate learns that the 1893 killing is part of something much more sinister, and her genetic ability to time travel makes Kate the only one who can fix the future. Risking everything, she travels back in time to the Chicago Worlds Fair to try to prevent the murder and the chain of events that follows. Changing the timeline comes with a personal cost, if Kate succeeds, the boy she loves will have no memory of her existence. And regardless of her motives, does Kate have the right to manipulate the fate of the entire world?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,554,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible