The Island of Adventure (Adventure Series)…

The Island of Adventure (Adventure Series) (original 1944; edition 2003)

by Enid Blyton

For Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack, the holiday in Cornwall is everything they'd hoped for - until they begin to realize that something very sinister is taking place on the mysterious Isle of Gloom. But they're not prepared for the dangerous adventure that awaits them in the abandoned copper mines and secret tunnels beneath the sea.… (more)
Member:benfulton
Title:The Island of Adventure (Adventure Series)
Authors:Enid Blyton
Info:Not Avail (2003), Edition: New Ed, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:****1/2
Tags:children's adventure, england, tunnel, secret passage

The Island of Adventure by Enid Blyton (Author) (1944)

Recently added byprivate library, neerajvmurali, Vanjo, anorakAI, Tariaswen, CLWggg, ejmw, GemmaPearce

English (9)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (12)
Super cute children's story, full of adventure :-)
It's the 1940s version of Scooby-Doo ... "If it wasn't for you meddling kids..." which just makes it even more awesome :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Sep 22, 2017 |
I LOVED this book when I first read it all those years ago. LOVED! It was my favourite book, back in the day.

I still have my cloth bound HB from back then and I can't see me ever parting with it. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Startling treatment of servants by children. good yarn, some gaps with reality. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
The first in a series of eight books detailing the adventures of a group of children and their avian companion, The Island of Adventure (first published in 1944) introduces young readers to Philip and Dinah Mannering, Jack and Lucy-Ann Trent, and Kiki the parrot. When Jack and Lucy-Ann come to stay with Philip and Dinah at Craggy-Tops - their aunt and uncle's home on the rugged Cornwall coast - the four children are soon caught up in an exciting mystery involving the nearby Isle of Gloom. Who is responsible for the strange lights that Jack sees one night, first from a ship along the coast, and then on the cliffs near Craggy-Tops? Who's been on the Isle of Gloom, despite its reputed inaccessibility, and what have they been doing in the old abandoned copper mines there? And what does it all have to do with Bill Smugs, the children's new friend...?

Begun last year, after I learned that the author - whose books are largely unknown in the United States - is the sixth-most popular author in the world, my "Enid Blyton Project" has thus far included the fifteen-volume Five Find-Outers and Dog series, a few of the Noddy books, and the first installment of The Famous Five series. But The Island of Adventure is without a doubt the most enjoyable Blyton I have read thus far. An exciting plot, and engaging characters, make me wish I had access to the next seven in the Adventure Series. I'm finally beginning to get an inkling as to why Blyton, whose writing is mostly mediocre, is so beloved. She keeps the reader wanting more. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 17, 2013 |
Why��don't I note the source of books? I have intended to read Blyton for some time, but what prompted me to place a hold on this book at this time was reading (where?) that its cast included a cockatiel. The cockatiel is sadly neglected in literature. So I opened it up, the book having been hauled up from the cellar for my pleasure and the library binding solid red like Seven-Day-Magic and anticipation high.

The illustration on the first page indicated that the bird was a cockatoo, which was a disappointment to me but not a let-down by the author. The author let me down on the third page when the omniscient narrator describes the bird as a beautiful parrot, scarlet and gray, with a crest. There is one cockatoo, the palm, that is crested and black and crimson, but it is not commonly kept as a pet (too rare) and not well known to boot, and another, the galah, that is pink and grey and only punily crested. I've never heard of a cockatoo as good a talker as Kiki. Blyton probably intended an African Grey, which is scarlet and grey and the best mimic of all parrots but doesn't have a crest. So whoever led me on about a cockatiel was wrong, and then the author was wrong about parrots, and rant rant rant.

Meanwhile, the adventure story about the falling-down old house Craggy-Tops (the next occupant might be Cassandra Mortmain), boats (very Swallows and Amazons), fanciful parrots (very Peter Duck*) mining (very Pigeon Post*), and barely-present adults was great. And the bit about a tame beetle didn't bother me, and I was able to ignore the pesky back-of-my-mind certainty that the run-off from a copper mine would stain rocks verdigris-green like the Statue of Liberty, not rust-red (because maybe Blyton was right about that). But hot damn, the way Blyton wrote about Jo-Jo the handyman, the way the children speak to him! They seem to disdain him (for being black and a servant) more than the adults do (very Big Six*).

* Swallows and Amazons��was the first of a series. Go read them all.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |

Blyton, EnidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stepath, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was really most extraordinary. There was Philip Mannering, doing his best to puzzle out algebra problems, lying full-length under a tree with nobody near him at all - and yet he could hear a voice speaking to him most distinctly.

Mystery Island is the U.S. publication title for the book originally published in the UK as Island of Adventure. It is the first in Blyton's Adventure series, a word included in all the British titles.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,199,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible