Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Dust by Hugh Howey

Dust (2014)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Silo Series (3)

Armed with secret knowledge, Juliette, now mayor of Silo 18 and her crew set out to rescue a world she hates but now understands better -- the world of the Silos with its rigid rules and terrible consequences for disobedience.
Member:zardox
Title:Dust
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:NLA Digital Liaison Platform LLC
Tags:Science

Dust by Hugh Howey (2014)

The End Is Now by Hugh Howey (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Contains a story in the Dust universe but outside of the set of Silos from that series.
    The End is Nigh by Hugh Howey (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: The End is Nigh contains a prequel story to the Dust series.

English (73)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
A satisfying end to an excellent series. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
I think it's a 4.5 but as the best of the trilogy I gave it a 5. This book is pretty terrific. It makes reading the other two worthwhile. It took soo long for me to get interested in the first two books. They both got better from midway to end but it was a bit of chore to get there. I'm glad I read each of them but this one - Dust is the winner. Thank God. Juliette, solo, the kids, Donald bravo!

This series makes me think about societal norms and how we are kind of programmed to believe what is normal. Also, how a disruption in those norms can be fearful and lead to chaos. We must be curious...we must learn and not be afraid. ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
I am frustrated with the ending. I think I wanted more questions answered but so much has been left open.
I felt that the ending was too rushed. All throughout the books every detail was described and explained, but near the end everything 'just happened'. I still enjoyed the majority of this book, but took a star off for the ending. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
This series of books has a great ending, as good as celluloid can offer. I was drawn in completely and surprised at some of the changes, but more importantly, I was fully satisfied with what was offered and promised throughout the arc. I can't understate the importance of this. Any great buildup should have a great wrap-up, and this book fits the bill.

I honestly would like to read a much longer follow-up, even without the need for a clever story or great tension. The fact that Mr. Howey was able to make me want to stay and see what happens to those who survive, or even see what happens to the other silos, is a testament to the great world-building. I'm just not tired of the whole experience. I'm not willing to move on to a different book.

They're good novels. I didn't like the Shift novels as much, but as a method to world-build, we really couldn't do without them. Dust, on the other hand, pulls everything together in a damn fine way. Promise? Delivered. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
A great closing of the trilogy, a lot of things that pissed me off while reading, but they all had their reason in the end. ( )
  kgladfelder | May 27, 2020 |

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

For the survivors
Is anyone there?
Raph seemed unsure. (Epilogue)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,483,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible