The Sands of Sakkara by Glenn Meade

The Sands of Sakkara (1999)

by Glenn Meade

Recently added byviking2917, private library, drewkid4, CDaly22, BitterGlass, mitchma, xanax025, LittleRed1966

So the book educated me on some interesting real-life history. The Nazis really did mount an assassination attempt on Roosevelt in Cairo during WWII, which almost worked. And there were some brief good bits of archaeology. I read this as a beach book; as a beach book it was ok, but really needed editing down, the book could profitably been 100 pages shorter. 30 pages from the end of the book and he's still taking 2 paragraphs to introduce new characters who'll never be heard from again....less is more... ( )
  viking2917 | Sep 10, 2014 |
This was the best thriller that I have read in a very long time. I loved the setting of Egypt because I am familiar with it and have been to several of the locations mentioned. The story kept my attention throughout the entire book and I am anxious to read more books written by this author. ( )
  Venqat65 | May 1, 2010 |
Great story! ( )
  Scaryguy | Sep 5, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312971087, Mass Market Paperback)

Glenn Meade's latest historical thriller begins in 1939, at the archaeological site of Sakkara near Cairo. Best friends Jack Halder (a wealthy German American playboy), and Harry Weaver (who grew up in the servants quarters of Jack's house), get together for high jinks, digging, and discovery. Both men fall in love with the same woman--Rachel Stern, a beautiful archaeologist. They shovel, talk, argue about who loves whom more, while Hitler invades Poland.

Four years later, World War II is at its height. Jack has become a German spy and Rachel is in a concentration camp. Both are pulled from their respective situations, and are sent by the Nazis to Cairo. Their mission is to help set the stage for a commando raid that will kill Winston Churchill and President Roosevelt. And guess who the Allies choose to destroy these dastardly plans? Army Intelligence's own Lieutenant Colonel Harry Weaver, of course.

As in the author's previous World War II blockbusters, Brandenburg and Snow Wolf, former journalist Meade knows how to blend his copious historical research into an intriguing fictional frame. Even though we know that Churchill and FDR survived Cairo, Meade makes it easy for us to suspend our doubts and go along for the enjoyable (if slightly derivative) ride. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:16 -0400)

Two archeologists--an American and a German--face off in World War II. Before the war they were friends, excavating in Egypt together, now both are intelligence officers in their respective armies. The German is ordered to assassinate Roosevelt when he visits Cairo, the American is ordered to stop him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,725,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible