The Sands of Sakkara by Glenn Meade

The Sands of Sakkara (1999)

by Glenn Meade

196391,955 (3.5)5

So the book educated me on some interesting real-life history. The Nazis really did mount an assassination attempt on Roosevelt in Cairo during WWII, which almost worked. And there were some brief good bits of archaeology. I read this as a beach book; as a beach book it was ok, but really needed editing down, the book could profitably been 100 pages shorter. 30 pages from the end of the book and he's still taking 2 paragraphs to introduce new characters who'll never be heard from again....less is more... ( )
  viking2917 | Sep 10, 2014 |
This was the best thriller that I have read in a very long time. I loved the setting of Egypt because I am familiar with it and have been to several of the locations mentioned. The story kept my attention throughout the entire book and I am anxious to read more books written by this author. ( )
  Venqat65 | May 1, 2010 |
Great story! ( )
  Scaryguy | Sep 5, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312971087, Mass Market Paperback)

Glenn Meade's latest historical thriller begins in 1939, at the archaeological site of Sakkara near Cairo. Best friends Jack Halder (a wealthy German American playboy), and Harry Weaver (who grew up in the servants quarters of Jack's house), get together for high jinks, digging, and discovery. Both men fall in love with the same woman--Rachel Stern, a beautiful archaeologist. They shovel, talk, argue about who loves whom more, while Hitler invades Poland.

Four years later, World War II is at its height. Jack has become a German spy and Rachel is in a concentration camp. Both are pulled from their respective situations, and are sent by the Nazis to Cairo. Their mission is to help set the stage for a commando raid that will kill Winston Churchill and President Roosevelt. And guess who the Allies choose to destroy these dastardly plans? Army Intelligence's own Lieutenant Colonel Harry Weaver, of course.

As in the author's previous World War II blockbusters, Brandenburg and Snow Wolf, former journalist Meade knows how to blend his copious historical research into an intriguing fictional frame. Even though we know that Churchill and FDR survived Cairo, Meade makes it easy for us to suspend our doubts and go along for the enjoyable (if slightly derivative) ride. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

November 1943: Adolf Hitler sanctioned his most audacious mission ever - to kill U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill as they visit Cairo for a secret conference to plan the Allied invasion of Europe, an invasion that threatens imminent defeat for Germany. This really happened and is the basis for Glenn Meade's new novel. Only one man is capable of leading the defiant Nazi mission - Major Johann Halder, one of the Abwehr's most brilliant, daring agents, a man with a tortured soul and a talent for the impossible. Accompanied by an expert undercover team, and a young and beautiful Egyptologist, Rachel Stern, Halder must race against time across a hostile desert to reach Cairo and successfully carry out the assignment, or forfeit his own life and that of his young son.When U.S. military intelligence learns of the plan, they assign one of their best officers, Lieutenant Colonel Harry Weaver, to hunt down and eliminate Halder and his team. But for Weaver, as for Johann Halder and Rachel Stern, there's more than just the balance of the war and the lives of the Allied leaders at stake - a pact of love and friendship is about to be tested in a frantic, high-stakes chase to the death.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,033,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible