The twins at St. Clare's by Enid Blyton

The twins at St. Clare's (original 1941; edition 1967)

by Enid Blyton

Member:tardis
Title:The twins at St. Clare's
Authors:Enid Blyton
Info:St Albans: Granada, 1967, c1941 155 p. : ill. ; 18 cm.
Tags:school stories

The Twins at St Clare's by Enid Blyton (1941)

‘The Twins at St Clare’s’ is the first in this series about a boarding school. However the twins in the title - Pat and Isabel - have no wish to go there....and are determined to make nuisances of themselves. There are caricatured classmates; the teachers, too, are rather larger than life. But it doesn’t matter. Each chapter has anecdotes in the life of the school, as the twins slowly discover the benefits of the school.

These books come with subtle (and not-so-subtle) moral lessons about loyalty and sportsmanship and the importance of hard work. They also demonstrate real forgiveness for those who go wrong but turn around. The writing isn’t brilliant, but it’s nowhere near as bad as some might suggest. It comes across as dated and unrealistic, yet for the duration of the book, I could almost feel myself at St Clare’s.

Overall, I was impressed - more so than I had expected, having not read the book for decades. I would recommend it to any fluent reader of about eight or nine (or older) who likes stories set in boarding schools. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
How I love boarding school stories! This was really good and I took to the characters immediately. It's got lovely descriptions of food and activities too. Blyton's style could be more polished at times and a prank per chapter felt quite unrealistic but the core of the book is a delight to read and I can't wait for the rest. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
This is the first of the boarding school novels about the Sullivan twins that has many similarities to the other series (Malory Towers). In Germany, where the twins are called Hanni and Nanni Sullivan, they are more popular than Dolly Rieder (aka Darrell Rivers). But for me they were only "the other series", I have to confess. That's why I only read about six books about St. Clair's (in German: Lindenhof) and concentrated on Malory Towers (in German: Möwenfels). I tried to re-read the twins-series in English but only finished about three books. And this one is the best in my opinion, followed closely by part 5 (Hanni und Nanni geben nicht auf) which was only published in Germany (I think it was even not written by Blyton herself but a by ghostwriter...). Probably because I started out with the German series from the beginning, I never warmed towards the English original. But if you like to read about boarding schools in England in the 1950's this is a good read. ( )
  ElizaBennett | Aug 18, 2013 |
The O'Sullivan twins are forced to go to a non-elitist boarding school against their wishes. Hoping if they are awful enough their parents won't send them back, they are insufferable. But St. Claire's gets under their skin and they can't keep their natural spirits from peeking through. ( )
  kaulsu | May 15, 2009 |
Children's
  Budzul | May 31, 2008 |
One sunny summer afternoon four girls sat on the grass by a tennis-court, drinking lemonade.

Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan plan to give everyone at their new school, St. Clare's, a few surprises. But it is them who are in for a chock...

The twins Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan are dreading going to St. Clare's boarding school for girls. Determined not to enjoy themselves, they cause lots of trouble and many arguments. But they soon realise that this behaviour isn't helping them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,796,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible