The Scarab Heart by Michael Gallagher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this before reading the first book, which wasn't a problem. There was just enough explanation at the beginning to clue me in as to what the premise was. I enjoyed the inclusion of history/mythology, clearly a fair bit of research went into this book. I liked the character of Lizzie well enough to make me want to go find the first book and see what I'd missed of her story. ( )
  sheryll | Mar 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a huge fan of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series of books. So, when I read about The Scarab Heart, I thought this would be a great book to try. I received it in exchange for an honest review.
I really tried to like this book. I thought the story was authentic and historically correct. It reminded me a lot of my own travels in Egypt. But, because I haven't got enough time to read in one or two sittings, it became increasingly difficult to pick up where I'd left off and I eventually just abandoned the book. I wish the story line had been a little more engaging. It seemed obvious from the early stages who the perpetrators were and I think that led to my lost interest. I'm also not a big fan of fantasy, and the part of the book where the main character had conversations with a historical figure was not my favorite. ( )
  catlinp | Mar 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
And the adventures continue! Lizzie Blaylock, a very unusually talented young woman of the 1890s, finds herself accompanying an older woman, with talents of her own, to an archeological dig in Egypt. Lizzie has the ability to not only speak with the dead, but also acts as a bridge between the afterlife and the current, allowing the dead to rise from her body and speak with their own voice. This is a talent that, as you can imagine, proves to be as much of a drawback as a blessing when surrounded by bits and pieces from Ancient Egypt. All Lizzie wants to do is ignore her talent and enjoy being in Egypt. Instead, Lizzie finds herself juggling a ghost with a mission, new friends with secrets, some not so petty thievery, and a companion who wants her to share her talent with the world. Plus, she might be falling in love. And then, there's a murder.... How Lizzie gets herself in, and out, of encounters with the far past and the present, is a captivating escape from everyday life. The imagery is fabulous, the characters are likable, and the story is believably enthralling.

It is a good tale on its own, but read the first book in the series, The Bridge of Dead Things, to give yourself a better foundation for enjoying it to the fullest. ( )
  Nightwing | Feb 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow...I don't know what I was expecting, but not that.

I've never read a mystery-Egyptian-paranormal from the Victorian era. Scarab Heart totally sucked me in. It was fast paced and very fun to read.

Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  summers1630 | Jan 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Book 1, but it was still an enjoyable read. It kept me guessing till the end, which I suppose is the hallmark of a good mystery. ( )
  labrat35 | Jan 18, 2014 |
This novel is dedicated to my mother
Lizzie, have you had any news of Albert?

Egypt, 1885. Theft and murder are afoot at an archaeological dig in the Valley of the Kings. Lizzie Blaylock, a young materializing medium of some renown, and her mentor, Miss Otis, thought they were there to vacation, especially as Lizzie has decided she wants nothing more to do with her powers. Her powers, however, have other things in mind.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michael Gallagher's book The Scarab Heart was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Michael Gallagher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,798,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible