Wolf by Mo Hayder
2562063,816 (4.07)9

English (18)  Dutch (2)  All languages (20)
Wolf. Mo Hayder. 2014. It has been several years since I have read Hayder. Her books so dark, violent, disturbing, and creepy that I space them out. This one is too. A family is held hostage in their own country home by two sick characters who gained entrance by pretending to be policemen. While they terrify the family, Detective Inspector Jack Caffrey broods over the disappearance of his brother years ago. The Walking Man, a homeless guy who always seems to turn up when Jack needs him, comes upon a dog with part of a note attached to his collar. Jack begins to investigate and discovers the hostage situation. Suspenseful and especially frightening since the readers know what the ghouls have planned for the family ( )
  judithrs | Jan 7, 2018 |
What's It About?
A bone-chilling novel about a family held hostage in their country home. When a vagrant—the Walking Man, a recurring character in Hayder’s fiction—finds a dog wandering alone with a scrap of paper with the words “HELP US” attached to its collar. He’s sure it’s a desperate plea from someone in trouble and calls on Detective Inspector Jack Caffery to investigate. Caffery is reluctant to get involved—until the Walking Man promises in exchange new information regarding the childhood disappearance of Caffery’s brother. Meanwhile, the Anchor-Ferrers, a wealthy local family, are fighting for their lives in their remote home ten miles away. As their ordeal becomes increasingly bizarre and humiliating, the family begins to wonder: is this really a random crime, or have they been chosen for a reason?

What Did I Think?
I believe if this had been the first book that I had read in Jack Caffery series it more than likely would have received less stars...but because I knew how well it would pick up...I hung in there and wasn't at all disappointed. This author is a master at ratcheting up tension slowly throughout a book to the point that it demands to be finished. Some will find this one a bit depressing and the characters dark...but what characters she has created in the two that held the family hostage. The ending was shocking and so over the top even for Mo Hayder. You will never in a million years see it coming. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 6, 2017 |
Book review for ‘Wolf’ by Mo Hayder

I have to confess that Mo Hayder is one of my all-time favourite authors and Jack Caffrey is a character that I have fallen in love with over the years. Getting a preview copy of this new book was an absolute treat so a big thank-you to Net Galley and Random House.
I’m also very happy to say that this latest novel lives up to the high standard of those before. We are quickly introduced to the mysterious goings on at the Turrets, who are the strange policeman who turn up just as they are needed? What happened sixteen years ago? The story bounces between the family’s situation and Caffrey’s increasingly desperate attempts to discover what happened to his missing brother Ewan. This storyline has been running since the first in the series and yet it continues to fascinate me as a reader and in this book is even more poignant as we, the reader, know more than Caffrey does about Ewan’s fate.
However it is the scenes that take place in the house that really chill the soul. The viewpoint constantly moves from father to mother to daughter and, occasionally, to the perpetrators themselves. This creates unbearable tension as just as something is about to be revealed the viewpoint changes and the reader is forced to wait and madly turn pages in order to find out exactly what is going on. It’s a bit of a cliché but do not start this book if you have anything important to do because you really won’t be able to put it down it’s that suspenseful.
The book ends with a big twist (which I love) and Caffrey finally gets some information about Ewan. I can’t wait for the next book, Mo Hayder has created a character that I truly care about (hoping we see something of Flea as well). If you’ve read the others in the series you will not be disappointed and if you haven’t, don’t wait, start with the Birdman and enjoy!
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
Fantastic. This book literally had me feeling scared and uneasy from the beginning! A great case that is terrifying for anyone with kids, even grown-up ones. Many issues are resolved.The book starts with the closure of the Misty case which has been going on for several books now. Jack is constantly thinking of his feelings for Flea, but she doesn't make an appearance this time. Instead, Jack meets up with the Walking Man again and this sets him off on the case he eventually becomes involved with. While it has been no secret to the reader for a few books now, Jack finally learns what happened to his brother. As you can probably tell, these books are best read in order as info from previous books is often integral or at least pops up in conversation. This one even has a scene where "Birdman" from the first book is discussed. This one is extremely unsettling and I enjoyed it much more than the last one. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 6, 2016 |
A terrible murder that happened years ago has left its mark on the Anchor-Ferrers family. Hugo Frink, seventeen-year- former boyfriend of Lucia Anchor-Ferrers is out in the woods with his new girlfriend when they are attacked and killed in a horrific way. The murderer, Minnet Kable, was captured and locked up. Now fourteen years later, Oliver, Matilda, Lucia, and their dog Bear, arrive at their country house, and discover something strung up in the trees in their garden. Has Minnet been released and has he killed again? Soon afterward, two police officers turn up to ask about the murder of a woman in a nearby cottage, and to ask the family if they’ve seen anything. The family take the opportunity to show the two policemen what they’ve found. However, the policemen are imposters and once they’ve earned the trust of the family, they tie them up, and rob them. But that’s only the beginning of the nightmare.

Meanwhile Detective Inspector Jack Caffery is still investigating the disappearance of his older brother Ewan, when they were young boys. He has just heard that someone connected to the case has recently died in Holloway prison. She was his last hope in solving the case and finding Ewan. But, she left a will, and it seems to reveal a final clue. To find out more, he needs to make a deal with the character called the ‘Walking Man’. He says will only help if Jack finds the true owners of a lost dog called Bear, that he's recently found. Those of you who have read the Hayder books before will recognize the Walking Man and what he's looking for as he walks throughout the countryside.

Not for the faint of heart, this novel is a dark, impeccably-plotted thriller that will hook readers from the first page and won’t let them go. Mo Hayder ratchets up the terror with all of the taut suspense and terrifying twists that have kept her fans on the edge of their seats for years. I don't recommend reading this series out of order. There are too many connecting threads to make it enjoyable unless you've read the others. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Amy is five years old and in all of those five years she's never seen Mummy acting like this before.

"When a vagrant--the Walking Man--finds a dog wandering alone with a scrap of paper with the words "HELP US" attached to its collar, he's sure it's a desperate plea from someone in trouble and calls on Detective Inspector Jack Caffery to investigate. Caffery is reluctant to get involved--until the Walking Man promises new information regarding the childhood abduction of Caffery's brother in exchange for the detective's help tracking down the dog's owners. Caffery has no idea who or what he is searching for, but one thing he is sure of: it's a race against time. Meanwhile a wealthy local family is fighting for their lives, held hostage in their remote home. As their ordeal becomes increasingly bizarre and humiliating, the family begins to wonder: Is this really a random crime?" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,996,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible