Glitter and Glue: A Memoir by Kelly Corrigan

Glitter and Glue: A Memoir

by Kelly Corrigan

2024258,111 (3.91)8

I loved the author's writing style, This is an extended appreciation of the author's mother and what being a mother has meant to the author. I found her style quite thought provoking in that the author seems to reveal so much truth in her understanding of herself and her mother.
The title is based on her mother describing how she and her husband fit together. He is the glitter and she is the glue. Isn't that a clever appreciation of what two people can do together. Glitter is charming but without glue it will not stay present for long. Her father will always have the easy word to say, the uninformed assurance that everything will work out okay, while her mother will track down the hard facts and make the difficult decisions.

I recommend this confessional memoir to anyone who understands or wishes they understood their mother. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
In general I really like Kelly Corrigan's writing, although I have to admit that I was put off somewhat by her last publication, "Lift". This one, however, was more up to par with what I would expect after her initial memoir, "The Middle Place." In "Glitter and Glue", Kelly writes about her relationship with her mother, although in a somewhat roundabout way. A majority of the book centers on Kelly's experience as a nanny in Australia, working for a widowed husband and his two young children. Living in a family home without a mother, she begins to more greatly appreciate her own mother, who tends to live somewhat in the shadow of Kelly's exuberant, frequently referred-to father, Greenie. (Hence, the title of the book: her father being the glitter, her mother being the glue.)

As with most memoirs, I most enjoyed the day-to-day tales, in this case those of Kelly's time in Australia, although the interspersed reflection of her mother's role in her life was thought-provoking as well. I'm still not sold on Kelly as a reader of her own audiobooks, however. Her monotone tends to turn me off, although with a memoir, I suppose it does add to the authenticity to hear the author read their own works. ( )
  indygo88 | Jun 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very good book about motherhood and the challenges that effect us all. Using her experiences helped her to help the young children that she was a nanny to get over their Mother's death. Very heartwarming on the human condition of what is passed down to us by our mothers. ( )
  sherylcalmes | Jun 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An enjoyable memoir about a young woman learning to appreciate her mother while she is a nanny for 2 young children grieving their mother's death. I appreciate that the book didn't end with her going back to her mother and telling her how much she meant to her. I would have liked the second part of the book where she is a mother herself to be a little more fleshed out to learn whether or not she learned to be both the glitter and the glue for her children. ( )
  julko | Nov 11, 2014 |
I'll read just about anything that Kelly Corrigan writes. Fun book. ( )
  Suzieqkc | Nov 3, 2014 |
For the yearbook, the fifth-graders at Havens Elementary are asked to name the one person they most admire. Finley Swan said, "My mom!" So did that sweet Madeline Malan. My daughter put "Tom Brady." The football player.

This one's for you, Ma. Long overdue.
When I was growing up, my mom was guided by the strong belief that to befriend me was to deny me the one thing a kid really needed to survive childhood: a mother.

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Middle Place comes a new memoir that examines the bond—sometimes nourishing, sometimes exasperating, occasionally divine—between mothers and daughters.

When Kelly Corrigan was in high school, her mother neatly summarized the family dynamic as “Your father’s the glitter but I’m the glue.” This meant nothing to Kelly, who left childhood sure that her mom—with her inviolable commandments and proud stoicism—would be nothing more than background chatter for the rest of Kelly’s life, which she was carefully orienting toward adventure. After college, armed with a backpack, her personal mission statement, and a wad of traveler’s checks, she took off for Australia to see things and do things and Become Interesting.

But it didn’t turn out the way she pictured it. In a matter of months, her fanny pack full of savings had dwindled and she realized she needed a job. That’s how Kelly met John Tanner, a newly widowed father of two looking for a live-in nanny. They chatted for an hour, discussed timing and pay, and a week later, Kelly moved in. And there, in that house in a suburb north of Sydney, her mother’s voice was suddenly everywhere, nudging and advising, cautioning and directing, escorting her through a terrain as foreign as any she had ever trekked. Every day she spent with the Tanner kids was a day spent reconsidering her relationship with her mother, turning it over in her hands like a shell, straining to hear whatever messages might be trapped in its spiral.

This is a book about the difference between travel and life experience, stepping out and stepping up, fathers and mothers. But mostly it’s about who you admire and why, and how that changes over time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034553283X, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:07 -0400)

"One of the things you should know about Kelly Corrigan is that she is the daughter of Mary Corrigan, a woman of conviction and grit who taught her kids that No Means No and Actions Speak Louder than Words and if they wanted a bunch of Rah Rah Lovey Dovey, go talk to your father--so Kelly did, over and over again, exiting her childhood with the sense that she'd always have more shared ground with him. But when she arrived in Australia in the summer of 1992, the only job she could find was as a nanny. She thought she was signing up for carpools and babysitting and some light cooking, but what she walked into instead was a household still reeling with grief from the recent loss of the mother. Completely unprepared, Kelly spent five months trying to help the Tanner family pick up the pieces. And to her surprise, she found herself quietly deferring to the wisdom of Mary Corrigan, who once told the young Kelly that her charming father "may be the glitter, but I'm the glue," a pattern that would become more pronounced years later, when Kelly's own daughters were born, and it turned out that each and every day demanded her mother's signature conviction and grit. This is a story about growing up and stepping up, but most of all, it's about the great adventure of motherhood"--… (more)

178 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,122,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible