Boudica: Dreaming the Bull by Manda Scott

Boudica: Dreaming the Bull

by Manda Scott

Series: Boudica (2)

Recently added byLadyBrook3, isis27, MLeoDaalder, private library, kpevjen, CLEDIERICKX, fiverivers, RobPoulton

Competent writing, a talented story-teller, and excellent research all contribute to the entertainment value of this, the second book of Manda Scott's Boudica series.

My only quibble is purely personal taste in that with such a remarkable, historical backdrop I'm wondering why Scott had to wander so deeply into neo-pagan spiritualism and magic. The result, for this reader, diminishes the quality of the story and the skill of a writer otherwise comfortable with her craft. ( )
  fiverivers | Jun 15, 2014 |
Continues the story... brilliant!!
  brigidsmith | Mar 21, 2010 |
This is the second in a planned series of four books on Boudica. However, it's made fairly obvious from the beginning of this book that it is not *only* about Boudica. Ban, her (fictional, I believe) brother also gets a large amount of space dedicated to his life, as does Boudica's family. It's nice to get more points of view, from all over Italy and Britain and the places in between, but it also seems to veer a bit. That may be because still, at this point in the narration, very little actual history about Boudica is known. More is known about Caradoc, and so Scott spends a great deal of time on him.

While the Roman scenes are somewhat long, they are also highly charged and I really enjoyed reading them, for the emotional value they added to the book. The characters are very well-rounded and this book, more than the first, certainly made them flesh and blood.

Boudica herself doesn't get as much of a focus in this book, though I think that's mainly to allow the other characters to develop. I hope that she will come back in the next two books to make the decisive impact that she had on British and Roman history.

I enjoyed reading this book- it had more action than the first one, and was even more engaging as the characters became less "black and white" and more "gray." If you enjoyed the first book, then I recommend going on with the series. And even if you weren't TOO thrilled with the first, I'd give the second a try. But I wouldn't read the second until after finishing the first. ( )
  aarti | Jun 8, 2006 |

In AD 60, Boudica, war leader of the Eceni, led her people in a final bloody revolt against the occupying armies of Rome - the culmination of nearly twenty years of resistance against an occupying force that sought to crush the vibrant native civilisation of our island home...DREAMING THE BULL continues the story of Breaca - now hailed Boudica, the Bringer of Victory, and her half-brother, Ban, now an officer in the Roman auxiliary cavalry. Each stands on the opposing side in a brutal war of attrition between the occupying army and the defeated tribes, each is determined to see the other dead. Caught between them are two children, son and daughter to two of the greatest warriors their world has ever seen. While in distant Rome, the Emperor Claudius holds the balance of lives in their hands. This is a heart-stopping story of war and of peace; of love, passion and betrayal; of druids and gods in a world where each life is sacred but each death even more so...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:29 -0400)

This is a heart-stopping story of war and of peace; of love, passion and betrayal; of druids and warring gods, where each life is sacred and each death even more so; and where Breaca and Ban learn the terrible distances they must travel to fulfil their own destinies.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,446,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible